Am I a bad person for not looking how MMORPGS have become over the past 7 years?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Am I a bad person for not looking how MMORPGS have become over the past 7 years?

User Info: Izzythewinner

Izzythewinner
4 months ago#1
sorry for mispelled title.
Am I a bad person for not liking how MMORPGS have become over the past 7 years?

feel like anytime i bring up how i stopped playing mmos since they became automatic/hypercasual accessible, i get slammed and flammed. Why is it so bad for me and others to like how they used to be? i just liked how it felt very immersive having to really get involved with the game, instead of seeing it hand everything to me by just having this new "automatic" feel of having everything given to me what with all the streamlined quests and rewards doing exactly what i need with no difficulty.
i also really miss the concept of creating your own build without having to worry about the meta hammer slamming me in the face for wanting to experiment with my class build, but thats all pretty much gone now aswell.

Honestly dont mind that mmos have become the way they are since obviously theres alot of people who like them, but why is it so acceptable to hate on people who perfered the classic style? from my understanding, the introduction of a "Legacy" server got over a million signatures. certainly theres many people who still perfer the way they were back then, and not just me.
Also Known as IzzyTheWhiner by Bad users!
- Izzy The Winner, Best GameFaqs User

User Info: redundancies

redundancies
4 months ago#2
"Am I a bad person?"

No.

But I don't like the idea of Blizzard spending resources on legacy servers, when I'd rather they spend those resources on updating and iterating on the current game. From what I can tell, Blizzard agrees and doesn't think there will be enough return on their investment to make legacy servers worth the time.

Izzythewinner posted...
from my understanding, the introduction of a "Legacy" server got over a million signatures

The legacy server petition garnered some 280,000 signatures. by itself, that seems a decent enough number; however, it's very easy to say "I agree with this" and a lot harder to actually pay money for it.

Izzythewinner
4 months ago#3
redundancies posted...
"Am I a bad person?"

No.

But I don't like the idea of Blizzard spending resources on legacy servers, when I'd rather they spend those resources on updating and iterating on the current game. From what I can tell, Blizzard agrees and doesn't think there will be enough return on their investment to make legacy servers worth the time.

Izzythewinner posted...
from my understanding, the introduction of a "Legacy" server got over a million signatures

The legacy server petition garnered some 280,000 signatures. by itself, that seems a decent enough number; however, it's very easy to say "I agree with this" and a lot harder to actually pay money for it.

so what amount of people would be considered enough then? i mean they waste so much money battling private servers suing them and wasting on legal fees and all that

redundancies
4 months ago#4
Izzythewinner posted...
so what amount of people would be considered enough then?

I don't have a specific number, but I'd wager that, out of the 280k signatures, a low percentage of those would be willing to pay for it. So you're probably looking at 50k which doesn't seem sustainable to me.

Izzythewinner posted...
i mean they waste so much money battling private servers suing them and wasting on legal fees and all that

Blizzard, like most large companies, has an in-house legal team. It's not costing them much (if any) extra to go after the private servers the way they do.

Izzythewinner
4 months ago#5
redundancies posted...
Izzythewinner posted...
so what amount of people would be considered enough then?

I don't have a specific number, but I'd wager that, out of the 280k signatures, a low percentage of those would be willing to pay for it. So you're probably looking at 50k which doesn't seem sustainable to me.

Izzythewinner posted...
i mean they waste so much money battling private servers suing them and wasting on legal fees and all that

Blizzard, like most large companies, has an in-house legal team. It's not costing them much (if any) extra to go after the private servers the way they do.

you arent even considering the amount of people that didnt sign it, or even the people that would bleed over from other games, 280,000 is alot of people.. not to mention its from blizzard, pretty much anything they bring out makes money.

User Info: Heftybags

Heftybags
4 months ago#6

If a company doesn't actively defend and go after people who violate their copyrights they risk losing that copyright.
I watch Cops with no pants on.

redundancies
4 months ago#7
Izzythewinner posted...
you arent even considering the amount of people that didnt sign it, or even the people that would bleed over from other games, 280,000 is alot of people.. not to mention its from blizzard, pretty much anything they bring out makes money.

I don't foresee people coming from other games - what other games are they playing now? And if they're interested in legacy servers, they surely would have heard of the petition.

I mean, it's just speculation on my part, but it seems like there just wouldn't be enough of a market, and Blizzard has people who get paid to make these decisions that don't see it either. As stated the 280k is people who only signed their name to a virtual piece of paper - that's super easy to do.

User Info: Visani_Chante

Visani_Chante
4 months ago#8
I prefer old style MMOs. There are a few of the style in beta and Survival games are sorta-kinda close.

If WoW opened a Legacy server, I wouldn't play on it. Sure it'd be sorta old-style now, but it was actually fairly casual for its time.

User Info: Richter1234

Richter1234
4 months ago#9
Visani_Chante posted...
I prefer old style MMOs. There are a few of the style in beta and Survival games are sorta-kinda close.

If WoW opened a Legacy server, I wouldn't play on it. Sure it'd be sorta old-style now, but it was actually fairly casual for its time.

Fairly casual? What do you consider hardcore?
"Lucius: AFLONG AFLONGKONG"

User Info: Amakusa

Amakusa
4 months ago#10
Richter1234 posted...
Visani_Chante posted...

Fairly casual? What do you consider hardcore?

WoW was the casual MMORPG. If you compared it to its contemporaries (particularly Everquest) the two biggest ones are Instanced dungeons and no XP loss on death.

Obviously these days Vanilla WoW 'looks' pretty hardcore compared to how it is now, but that's because the quality of life has improved that much since then. The biggest argument against 'legacy' servers is for some people losing those QoL improvements is not worth it and it was the community that was the draw (in which there are varying degrees of people believing whether or not it can be recaptured or is as futile as capturing lightning in a bottle).

Izzythewinner posted...
i also really miss the concept of creating your own build without having to worry about the meta hammer slamming me in the face

This had never happened in WoW, ever. There was always a 'right answer' to talent builds.
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Am I a bad person for not looking how MMORPGS have become over the past 7 years?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived