Does anyone actually enjoy time gatted material?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Does anyone actually enjoy time gatted material?

User Info: Richter1234

Richter1234
4 months ago#1
I'm curious if anyone actually likes having to wait and wait for certain things to be unlocked. I'm not talking about content like Argus being released later. But like suramar rep quests taking over a month to get and complete because only 4 to 6 wqs spawn a day. Or having to wait to complete quests because you have to send your follower on 4 2 your long missions.
"Lucius: AFLONG AFLONGKONG"

User Info: Amakusa

Amakusa
4 months ago#2
Richter1234 posted...
But like suramar rep quests taking over a month to get and complete because only 4 to 6 wqs spawn a day.

Advance the storyline and that suddenly will not be a problem.
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.

Richter1234
4 months ago#3
Amakusa posted...
Richter1234 posted...
But like suramar rep quests taking over a month to get and complete because only 4 to 6 wqs spawn a day.

Advance the storyline and that suddenly will not be a problem.

Advance the story? So when you need to get 7k rep and there isnt anything othet than WQs how do you go about advancing the story?

User Info: redundancies

redundancies
4 months ago#4
I don't think anyone - even the developers - really likes time-gating things, but it's kind of a necessary evil in a subscription-based game, especially an MMO. WoW has time-gated things from the beginning - weekly raid lockouts, daily quest resets, etc.

I will agree that Suramar doesn't have to be such a PITA anymore; we're almost a year into the expansion, let's have a less tedious catch-up for people.

User Info: Heftybags

Heftybags
4 months ago#5
If it was the only thing to do then it would be a bigger problem. Sure it's annoying but there are tons of other stuff to do between Suramar questing.
I watch Cops with no pants on.

User Info: Pokeymuns

Pokeymuns
4 months ago#6
Time-gating sucks, but without it people would just blitz all the content and then scream that there wasn't enough content (and unless they're a hardcore raider, probably unsub until the next big patch).
There's also a risk of having too much to do in one go, causing burnout regardless of whether the content is good or bad (good = maintaining too high a level of engagement without any plateaus, bad = being bored s***less).
WoW hasn't been the best example for good time gating lately (lol broken shore "campaign") but Insurrection was decent. If all the quests were available back to back, the impact of each individual step would be lessened as they blur together into a madcap race to get the arcanist manasaber. Forcing a breather between each step is like pausing for a few seconds during a speech for your audience to digest what you just said.

At least with time-gating, they're complaining about the gating but they're being drip-fed content every day/week/whatever, so they're still being strung along, and importantly, paying a sub.

Richter1234
4 months ago#7
Its sad that they time gate in order to keep people paying monthly.

User Info: Dawnshadow

Dawnshadow
4 months ago#8
Richter1234 posted...
Its sad that they time gate in order to keep people paying monthly.

They're a company, not a charity. Content development costs money. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to play this game.
Why are Trump supporters so obsessed with "buttery males?"

Richter1234
4 months ago#9
Did I say anything about them being a charity? Its sad the development teams best idea for keeping people playing is time gating. Its a lazy marketing scheme.

User Info: Pokeymuns

Pokeymuns
4 months ago#10
As a side note Argus's gating is only 3 weeks and has a buttload of content opening up each of those weeks (though the raid will take longer to open).

I think they learned from the backlash after the Broken s***e's laughable campaign.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Does anyone actually enjoy time gatted material?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived