I miss what this game used to be

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. I miss what this game used to be

User Info: spacecowboymike

spacecowboymike
3 months ago#1
Maybe I'm a blindly nostalgic idiot and if that's the case it's fine. I miss BC and WotLK. I also miss MoP. It was different but it had some good stuff.

I quit right after I killed heroic Gul'Dan back in May. It's too much grinding. It seems like they put in things not for fun but JUST to try to make you play longer.

Also I hate HATE how the devs have created this war on flying.

User Info: d209999

d209999
3 months ago#2
I don't understand this mindset at all. "I want to be able to be done playing this game for the week." Legion hasn't changed that at all. Feeling the need to grind AP forever and ever is 99.9% the fault of the players, not Blizz

spacecowboymike posted...

I hate people who think they should be able to AFK the game and still get rewarded
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." - Theodore Roosevelt

User Info: Joker_X_II

Joker_X_II
3 months ago#3
Maybe I'm a blindly nostalgic idiot and if that's the case it's fine

It's perfectly natural to feel that way. Casuals of today use the term to deflect their own poor stature as a gamer when they measure their relationship with the game, against yours and the game you knew (and they know we had it better in our game, than they do with theirs). Never feel guilty about that.

It seems like they put in things not for fun but JUST to try to make you play longer.

Well, in all fairness, that is how it was back then too, except there was an abundance of other content to do in the meantime to distract from all the gating there was. If you hit a wall focusing on one piece of content, then jump to another area and work on that. It was a common staple of MMO design that even old school MMO gamers were comfortable with simply because that is how the system worked then,and those players KNEW what to expect.

The problem with Legion is that they try to un-ring the bell that they rang back during the CAT, MoP, and WoD days where they remove the gates and cheapen the content to a single motive for the sake of casual players who cried about how things were back in Vanilla/TBC/WLK. Except the consequence of that was players who rip through the content with ease, and un-sub the moment they got what they wanted. Blizzard lost the art of 'pacing' it's content, which ultimately hurt the game overall. And obviously hurt their bottomline in the WoW department.

With Legion's gating of content back in the game and the compromise of the "flight issue", the problem now is exercising an old design to a newer player base that is just too self-entitled to know any better. Most of the old player base, the "nostalgia-ridden", have all been bullied out of the game for the sake of that previous easy-access to exist. Those design choices have turned off a lot of players in WoW's many years, players who were comfortable with the 'slow-drip', 'smell the flowers', "journey > destination", "more dedication > best reward" way of playing the game. Those people are gone now, no one to appreciate the game like that. And those who are left, still carry on thinking they could play the game walking on the red-carpet of LFR goodness.

TL;DR = They need your money, and they want 2-3 months of sub-payments from you, instead of 1 (between major content patches); and they need a solution using players who bank on 'instant-gratification'; since real MMORPG players have gone the way of the cowboy.....so what can Blizzard do now?

d209999 posted...
I hate people who think they should be able to AFK the game and still get rewarded

Like I said on another thread(s)....

"reap what you sow"

User Info: spacecowboymike

spacecowboymike
3 months ago#4
d209999 posted...
I don't understand this mindset at all. "I want to be able to be done playing this game for the week." Legion hasn't changed that at all. Feeling the need to grind AP forever and ever is 99.9% the fault of the players, not Blizz

Oh so taking flight paths are so engaging. People like this are also glad I'm not playing anymore. Can't disagree with any Daddy Blizzard says. They hate flight by God I have to hate flight. f***ing sheep.

User Info: flaire

flaire
3 months ago#5
Maybe I'm a blindly nostalgic idiot and if that's the case it's fine. I miss BC and WotLK. I also miss MoP. It was different but it had some good stuff.

I quit right after I killed heroic Gul'Dan back in May. It's too much grinding. It seems like they put in things not for fun but JUST to try to make you play longer.

yup, i miss MoP and back

WoD woulda been great with 2-3 more real content packs and making garrisons optional instead of mandatory.

I do hate the new flying grind unlocks in WoD and Legion.
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.

User Info: Delirious_Beard

Delirious_Beard
3 months ago#6
the problem is not no flying

the problem is atrocious zone design

s*** like the antoran wastes and highmountain should not exist
http://i.imgur.com/5UL2v5u.gif
"Does our ruin benefit the earth? Does it help the grass to grow, the sun to shine? Is this darkness in you, too?"

User Info: ObsceneAnarchy

ObsceneAnarchy
3 months ago#7
It seems like they put in things not for fun but JUST to try to make you play longer.

I figured this out less than a month into Legion. Too many things felt like their real intention was keeping players around to pay for another month to get that one thing they were grinding for.
Brawl #: 2019-9336-9320

User Info: Paperblade

Paperblade
3 months ago#8
ObsceneAnarchy posted...

I figured this out less than a month into Legion. Too many things felt like their real intention was keeping players around to pay for another month to get that one thing they were grinding for.

welcome to MMOs
I dislike arguments of any kind. They are always vulgar, and often convincing. ~ The Importance of Being Earnest

User Info: ImBadAtGames

ImBadAtGames
3 months ago#9
ProTip: The game was fun when you first started because it was new and exciting.

Blizzard is in a lose/lose situation.
Their apparent choices

1. Never change the game, lose subscribers to boredom.

2. Change things and have subscribers lose their minds.

3. Make the game to please "hardcore" players, with no way for casual players to do things. Lose the bulk of their subscribers when they realize they are locked out of end game if they don't treat WoW like a job.

4. Make the game fully casual, lose the "hardcore" players.

5. Do what they are doing and just piss off the players who think WoW is in any way significant. Continue to introduce new ideas, know that the casuals, who make up most of their subs will keep playing for new experiences and the addicts will continue to give them money.

The game you think you want is dead and gone, get over it and move on. Either play the damned game or find another one. Nobody forces you to play, you choose to give your time and money to play a product you dislike.

When I get bored I cancel my sub until I'm interested again. Do the same.

Also, Joker...

https://youtu.be/Ay3cP5YkJgE
---

User Info: d209999

d209999
3 months ago#10
Oh so taking flight paths are so engaging. People like this are also glad I'm not playing anymore. Can't disagree with any Daddy Blizzard says. They hate flight by God I have to hate flight. f***ing sheep

The game is better with you gone. If your only ability to defend your point is to insult the person questioning you, then that's just pathetic. Go back to your Call of Duty little boy.
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." - Theodore Roosevelt
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. I miss what this game used to be

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived