A bit late, but the Mage Tower challenges are really fun.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. A bit late, but the Mage Tower challenges are really fun.

User Info: Delirious_Beard

Delirious_Beard
1 month ago#11
surrender to madness
http://i.imgur.com/5UL2v5u.gif
"Does our ruin benefit the earth? Does it help the grass to grow, the sun to shine? Is this darkness in you, too?"

User Info: c0sa n0stra

c0sa n0stra
1 month ago#12
Pokeymuns posted...
I haven't found any of them fun yet, though I've only completed the three warlock ones -- feltotem, twins, sigryn, and I've attempted the druid one two or three times (kruul).

They all revolve around giving you a load more crap to worry about compared to your average raid boss, since you're the one who has to deal with every mechanic (as opposed to some of them not targeting you, or only targeting within a certain role, or group assignments so that someone else is dispelling/kiting/whatever).

So it really boiled down to setting up a bunch of encounter-specific macros and weakauras and then basically stressing the f*** out until you win.

The encounter gimmicks were also cruelly chosen (or, since they were intended to be hard, well chosen) in that they picked things you weren't great at in each given spec.

Destruction had to focus on interrupts, resulting in using a sub-optimal pet to cycle spell lock, grimServ spell lock, mortal coil, and fear. Thankfully no DPS check at all, just pure execution.
Demonology had lots of movement obstacles to deal with, but there are only occasional DPS checks (runeseer shield) so most of the time it doesn't really hurt that your DPS is utter trash when you're forced to run around like crazy.
Affliction had kiting and interrupt+burst combo (while still kiting) along with a soft DPS check (karam's runspeed increasing) -- but it was probably the easiest of the three. It was the only one where I felt being a warlock was actually making the challenge easier, due to elements like Sacrolash, and being able to command your doomguard to stand on a summoning rune (this one was HUGE).

You actually have to have Sacrolash though, from my understanding it completely trivializes the whole thing, but I didn't (and still don't) have Sacrolash so it was a right pain for me, Bear Tartare really helped though.

Although this was in in NH gear, I'm sure it'd be trivial either way at this point.

User Info: Pokeymuns

Pokeymuns
1 month ago#13
Sacrolash makes the soft DPS check easier by a hefty margin.
It gives you a little more wiggle room so you can focus on the one-shot Hands and runes more, rather than constantly running around with the Benny Hill chase theme in the background.

Without it, you would need to lean heavily on Gateway/Circle/Burning Rush.

With Sacrolash, I made very little use of Demonic Gateway and Circle -- I simply didn't need to, so without Sacrolash I'd probably be using those on cooldown to get that extra stand-still-and-DPS time (and the much-scoffed-at Portal Pants would actually be pretty good in this regard).

Also didn't need to use Burning Rush a whole lot, mostly just the last few seconds of each phase before Karam is banished, rather than constant usage.
I'd imagine without Sacrolash you would need to have that on nearly all the time, thankfully if you execute the fight correctly the incoming damage is very low (it's either one-shot damage from failed mechanics, or diddly squat when only Raest's weak spells are hitting you) so the hp drain, partially offset by Siphon Life and the infrequent Drain Soul, is manageable.

Bear Tartare was excellent in that fight, really a critical part of the strategy imo, what with all the weak adds that die constantly. Kiting correctly they all remain clumped around Raest so you can just Seed Raest (+ 2 others from sow the seeds) without having to switch targets in that horrible mess of mobs. Can get nearly 100% uptime on the Tartare speed.

c0sa n0stra
4 weeks ago#14
Pokeymuns posted...
Sacrolash makes the soft DPS check easier by a hefty margin.
It gives you a little more wiggle room so you can focus on the one-shot Hands and runes more, rather than constantly running around with the Benny Hill chase theme in the background.

Without it, you would need to lean heavily on Gateway/Circle/Burning Rush.

With Sacrolash, I made very little use of Demonic Gateway and Circle -- I simply didn't need to, so without Sacrolash I'd probably be using those on cooldown to get that extra stand-still-and-DPS time (and the much-scoffed-at Portal Pants would actually be pretty good in this regard).

Also didn't need to use Burning Rush a whole lot, mostly just the last few seconds of each phase before Karam is banished, rather than constant usage.
I'd imagine without Sacrolash you would need to have that on nearly all the time, thankfully if you execute the fight correctly the incoming damage is very low (it's either one-shot damage from failed mechanics, or diddly squat when only Raest's weak spells are hitting you) so the hp drain, partially offset by Siphon Life and the infrequent Drain Soul, is manageable.

Bear Tartare was excellent in that fight, really a critical part of the strategy imo, what with all the weak adds that die constantly. Kiting correctly they all remain clumped around Raest so you can just Seed Raest (+ 2 others from sow the seeds) without having to switch targets in that horrible mess of mobs. Can get nearly 100% uptime on the Tartare speed.

Yeah, and I was able to keep up BR for almost 100% because Siphon Life.

User Info: Nightbird_X

Nightbird_X
4 weeks ago#15
I've done like 75 attempts on Xylem on my DH. At 910 ilvl. I suck lol.

Only had Xavaric, but almost all my wipes came from shadow phase. Didn't know you could kill the images and heal there. Wiped like 3 times on the VW at 15%ish.

925 ilvl with Wish and Xavaric now..so hopefully can beat it next time.
CM Punk - BEST IN THE WORLD! -- http://i.imgur.com/SEj3OoR.gif
PSN: Butt_Spawn --- BT: Buttspawn#1880

User Info: Heartomaton

Heartomaton
4 weeks ago#16
Been a Warlock since vanilla, but I don't believe I have the wherewithal to do any of the challenges. I tried both of the Demon Hunter ones and couldn't even scape out a decrease in the amount of failure I was putting out.

So I don't think I'd fare much better on my main, especially considering that I couldn't manage the Black Harvest scenario in MoP and missed out on the title, and that was before I quit the game for the entirety of WoD.

Maybe it's just my absolute refusal to use macros and remain a pure clicker, but I'm much more inclined to say it's because I'm terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Heartomaton

User Info: Azardea

Azardea
4 weeks ago#17
Heartomaton posted...
and remain a pure clicker

Well... there you go.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL68FD0D7F63715384

User Info: Blak4xis

Blak4xis
4 weeks ago#18
I did the fire mage challenge (Agatha) before ToS was opened. First day I tried it was miserable, but the second day of attempts I did a week or so after when I got lucky enough for my relinquished helm token to be the Dragon's Breath helm, I was able to do it. I know it's possible to do it without it since one of my better attempts was done while using Prydaz and the Scorch belt, but god damn do I hate how a single legendary can make a world of a difference. It felt way more doable with the helm to the point that it was utterly ridiculous.

I hear the God Queen one is actually relatively easy. Might try it on my ret as well. Honestly though, screw the Agatha encounter. >_>
So fresh and clean.

User Info: pegusus123456

pegusus123456
4 weeks ago#19
^I was just reading on reddit yesterday that the Agatha challenge is actually somewhat easy because she's in an instanced version of the Broken Shore, meaning you can use stuff like bodyguard buffs and the like on her.
http://i.imgur.com/Er6TT.gif http://i.imgur.com/Er6TT.gif
http://i.imgur.com/Er6TT.gif http://i.imgur.com/Er6TT.gif

c0sa n0stra
3 weeks ago#20
Heartomaton posted...
Been a Warlock since vanilla, but I don't believe I have the wherewithal to do any of the challenges. I tried both of the Demon Hunter ones and couldn't even scape out a decrease in the amount of failure I was putting out.

So I don't think I'd fare much better on my main, especially considering that I couldn't manage the Black Harvest scenario in MoP and missed out on the title, and that was before I quit the game for the entirety of WoD.

Maybe it's just my absolute refusal to use macros and remain a pure clicker, but I'm much more inclined to say it's because I'm terrible.

Or maybe you're terrible because you're a clicker.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. A bit late, but the Mage Tower challenges are really fun.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived