Server Mechanics Question

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Server Mechanics Question

User Info: knightblazer85

knightblazer85
3 weeks ago#1
A while back i was watching a video on youtube and i heard the player mention something about moving some of his characters between servers.

but i'm drawing a blank on what the hell he was talking about

is there any chance somebody could elaborate?

User Info: BlackSpiral

BlackSpiral
3 weeks ago#2
Either is referring to Transferring a character, which costs money and takes time.

OR....

Is realm Hopping. This is done by joining groups in the Group Finder and puts you on a different server. Mods used to do this in the day, but many have been disabled or hardly work anymore.
My mind is like a steel trap, rusty and illegal in 37 states.

knightblazer85
3 weeks ago#3
well he said something about how one of the heroes he had moved had changed races when he moved servers if that helps

i didnt stick with the paladin playthrufor long. his babbling was driving me up the wall.

i wound up switching to watching another guy playing an undead warlock and he was even worse

User Info: Pokeymuns

Pokeymuns
3 weeks ago#4
Ah yeah then it's a paid transfer.

There are a bunch of features that Blizzard offers (and charges for) -- you can click the Shop button in-game (between the Adventure Guide and the Game Menu buttons, looks like a little WoW icon) to see them.
Character services are stuff like name change / appearance change / character race change / faction change / server change. The later ones sometimes contain the earlier ones, either out of necessity or as a freebie (eg. a race change will also bundle in an appearance change out of necessity since the various races may not have the same number of cosmetic options during character creation, and an optional name change).

The ones which involve altering characters can only be viewed in-game though -- to purchase and apply one you need to be at the character select screen instead.

knightblazer85
3 weeks ago#5
that's probably it.

thanks

knightblazer85
3 weeks ago#6
there is 1 other question that came to my mind

but when i posted this topic i forgot about it

crafting recepies

lets say for the save of argument (bearing in mind that i dont have this game yet) that i had a paladin character and i developed his blacksmithing profession and got some recepies or whatever the item creation plans are called.

and then i created a death knight or a warrior

would those characters still have access to the blacksmithing plans my paladin learned?

User Info: Blarghinston

Blarghinston
3 weeks ago#7
knightblazer85 posted...
there is 1 other question that came to my mind

but when i posted this topic i forgot about it

crafting recepies

lets say for the save of argument (bearing in mind that i dont have this game yet) that i had a paladin character and i developed his blacksmithing profession and got some recepies or whatever the item creation plans are called.

and then i created a death knight or a warrior

would those characters still have access to the blacksmithing plans my paladin learned?

No
Titan X Pascal WC 2067mhz | 5820K 4.6ghz | 64GB DDR4 | 950 Pro 512GB | Samsung 4K

Pokeymuns
3 weeks ago#8
Crafting skills/recipes are only usable by the one who actually trained the skill/learned the recipe from a trainer or item. Each character has 2 primary profession slots, these are specific to each character.
However, most of the stuff you can craft is BoE (bind-on-equip) so you can just send it over to your DK/Warrior after your Paladin crafts it.

It's not very efficient to pick up Blacksmithing again on your other plate-wearers -- you should give them different professions for variety's sake.
Then you could, for example, cut gems on your warrior and send them to your paladin/death knight. Or make some enchant scrolls on your death knight and send those to your paladin/warrior.

There are a few things that smiths (or other armor-crafters) can make that are soulbound when crafted, but these are generally minor-slot raid gear from several expansions ago (eg. Burning Crusade had a bunch of bind-on-pickup boots, bracers, and so on which were effectively crafter-only).
But since they're old bind-on-pickup gear, they're worthless aside from learning their transmogrification appearance if you actually like how they look (the learning can be done on the paladin, and then the item can be transmogged by any of your plate-wearers).

Blizzard has mostly been shifting away from hard-and-fast "you must have THIS profession as THIS class to be fully optimized" situations.

knightblazer85
3 weeks ago#9
to be honest i didnt think of that.

and given that it's what i've done once or twice playing diablo 3 and the amount of time i spend working on mule characters. i should have.

it means that i could craft gear with 1 character. bank it and then go pick it up with the other

much thanks

if i ever do get this game that will save me a hell of a lot of hassle.

Pokeymuns
3 weeks ago#10
knightblazer85 posted...
it means that i could craft gear with 1 character. bank it and then go pick it up with the other

There's no shared stash -- each character's bank is unique to them.

You'll need to use the mail system (click on a mailbox, change tabs to the second tab where you can compose a message, fill in the name of the recipient at the top, and put your item(s) in the slots at the bottom).

Do note that most items can only be mailed to characters on the same server and faction (eg. if sending a Bind-on-Equip item/unbound item/gold from an Alliance character on the North American Aerie Peak server, any recipient will also have to be Alliance, and on NA Aerie Peak).
The exception is items flagged as Blizzard Account Bound, but these aren't usually craftable. In any case, these account-bound items can be mailed to any character on your account -- even if they're on the opposite faction or a different server entirely. You just have to fill out the recipient name with more detail to mail cross-server, like so: Charactername-ServerName, so it'd look like Bob-Caelestrasz, or Jimmy-AeriePeak (note the lack of a space in the two-word server name).

One other option exists, which is more D3-stash-esque: Creating a one-person guild
Guilds have guildbanks, which are accessible by any guildmember with sufficient guild permissions (and there is also an ability to temporarily place a remote guildbank chest anywhere you want, for a few minutes every hour). So you'd just have all your alts in the guild and nobody else, and they would use that guildbank like a giant shared stash.
It's a substantial initial setup effort compared to simply mailing stuff back and forth though, and of course, also prevents you being in an actual social guild, so it's not to everyone's tastes.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Server Mechanics Question

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived