Do you think they will ever drop the edgelord theme of this game?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Do you think they will ever drop the edgelord theme of this game?

User Info: Lightshadow1

Lightshadow1
2 months ago#1
I am getting pretty annoyed with WoW's obsession with "we don't need gods/aspects/etc because we can do this ourselves"... The end of Cataclysm almost made me just quit this game outright. And with what happened with Ysera being killed outright , along with Illidan's over the top I AM MY SCARS rant... I'm just getting kind of sick of the whole theme with lore they are putting out.

With the entire s***show going down IRL, there seems to be a shift in the media (movies, video games, tv shows, etc..) being put out towards ideas of tolerance, optimism, and togetherness, except when it comes to WoW, and in all honesty, it's *REALLY* turning me off. All the lore characters seem to be turning into or flying their edgelord supreme flags everywhere.

Anyone else notice this? Anyone else annoyed by it? Does anyone actually appreciate and like this sort of thing?
Intolerance is something that tolerant people are intolerant of.
Aerdrie on FFBE - Friend Code: 047-032-955 ADD ME!

User Info: Legendary_Musas

Legendary_Musas
2 months ago#2
......There are LITERALLY no Gods in the setting of World of Warcraft.

The only thing that could potentially be an actual Deity is Elune, but we know almost nothing factually about her. Also maybe the void lords....maybe.

Also what on earth has being responsible for oneself got to do with being an edgelord 0_o

This just screams anti SJW pro Christian rhetoric. And hey, I'm actually right there with you pal, but this is not part of it, at all.

In fact, being responsible for oneself is pretty anti SJW, to them the government is god, they want free handouts and to be taken care of.
Pokemon Sun Team: Decidueye, Lycanroc (midday), Komala, Ribombee, Turtonator, Mudsdale

User Info: tote_all

tote_all
2 months ago#3
Legendary_Musas posted...
There are LITERALLY no Gods in the setting of World of Warcraft

The Old Gods.

Once again you make your inane point in a legendarily amusing way.
Pokemon Sun / Omega Ruby / Y
Tote | 0791-3850-7706

User Info: gadrem

gadrem
2 months ago#4
tote_all posted...
There are LITERALLY no Gods in the setting of World of Warcraft

The Old Gods.

Once again you make your inane point in a legendarily amusing way.

That's just a title hun, they arent actual gods, they're basically void Lord ammo, I'd hardly calle that a god

User Info: Pokeymuns

Pokeymuns
2 months ago#5
The theme and writing style is here to stay, and it'll only get more pronounced with the inevitable void lord expansion.
No shortage of other games to play if you don't like the direction this one's story is taking.

Ysera isn't gone, her spirit is intact in the Emerald Dream and can still communicate and exert some strength to a limited extent, when it is absolutely necessary.
You'd have seen this by playing through the Emerald Nightmare raid once on any difficulty (or even just Xavius LFR).
She probably isn't ever coming back to a physical form though.

Not sure what other reaction you expected from Illidan in that cutscene, particularly with the added characterization he got in his Legion quests and appearances. He was 2edgy way back in TBC. Hell, back in Warcraft 3 actually.

P.S. trying too hard to make a controversial post

Legendary_Musas
2 months ago#6
Old Gods aren't actual gods, also lol, I didn't even know you had posted, gotta love that block button.
Pokemon Sun Team: Decidueye, Lycanroc (midday), Komala, Ribombee, Turtonator, Mudsdale

User Info: tote_all

tote_all
2 months ago#7
Old Gods aren't actual gods, also lol, I didn't even know you had posted, gotta love that block button.

Isn't it called ignore?

How do you manage to get almost everything wrong?
Pokemon Sun / Omega Ruby / Y
Tote | 0791-3850-7706

User Info: Lightshadow1

Lightshadow1
2 months ago#8
Also what on earth has being responsible for oneself got to do with being an edgelord 0_o

It's not so much that one has to do with the other, it's the way they are doing it. I mean Illidan's rant to Xe'Ra it just... beyond cringe-y, it's a full on rejection of supernatural interference, and it goes into the entire theme they are trying to establish. It's not so much that being responsible for oneself is about being edgelord, but going about it by actively rejecting any supernatural or help from greater entities heralds directly to rebellious teens telling their parents to "f*** off"

I would call individuals like Cenarius, The Aspects (before cataclysm), Elune, "The Light", and other such things gods, if not in actual title, they fill that role in WoW lore. It's plainly apparent they are dodging that word carefully, which isn't surprising, because they would likely draw the ire of religious sects and secular groups. They are also removing all such entities one by one in very aggravating ways, almost as if the writers have actual spite towards greater entities like that. If they aren't outright removing them like they did with ysera, then they are trying to establish that they are selfish and dangerous like they seem to be trying to do with the naaru and the light in general. I am just getting frustrated with it. Pantheons, magic, greater entities, dragons, all of these things are very much an underlying necessity in the type of fantasy genre that World of Warcraft is.
Intolerance is something that tolerant people are intolerant of.
Aerdrie on FFBE - Friend Code: 047-032-955 ADD ME!

Legendary_Musas
2 months ago#9
X'era was literally enslaving Illidan to the Light against his will. Hardly a teenage rebellious act of Illidan there. She also did the same to Turalyon, but his dogmatic dedication to the Light clouded him from what was actually happening.

Also deities are divine beings who create the universe. Nothing in the setting lays claim to anything close to this.

Titans themselves are just baby planets.

The clash of Light and Void created the universe in WoW and we have no idea what the upper echelon of Light beings are. Naaru are more akin to Light Old Gods which are nothing but panes of the Void Lords.

User Info: MajinUltima

MajinUltima
2 months ago#10
It's not an uncommon theme, especially if the endgame of the work involves fighting against the equivalent of Angels.

some Final Fantasy games (13 for example, hinted at in 14)
Diablo 3
Star Ocean 3
the Supernatural tv series

You go and beat some obviously evil force of darkness, but then you find out that the big heavenly force (while not as overtly destructive at first) has their own agenda of controlling everything and purging everything they deem corrupted.
So you end up with a lot of story about "balance" and the importance of free will which often specifically involves humans, or mortals in general.

Quite a bit of the Argus storyline has really been setting that up, to the extent that I would not be surprised if we're off to fight some Naaru, and maybe even Elune, after we're done with the Void stuff.
http://i.imgur.com/mYFkgcb.gifv
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Do you think they will ever drop the edgelord theme of this game?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived