Do you think they will ever drop the edgelord theme of this game?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Do you think they will ever drop the edgelord theme of this game?

User Info: shamfuru

shamfuru
1 month ago#101
@shugo950, saul alinsky told his followers to accuse political opponents of what they are personally guilty of. That is what you are doing.

Major Gamer posted...
Trying to redefine edgelord to mean things aren't black and white was the turning point for this topic to be a wild ride.

edgelord refers to children who fall for death worship like that in neitzche's work.

As I said, they are attracted to this absurd dualism for the same reason they like anything that they think gives them an excuse to act out.
https://bloodbornestory.wordpress.com/
Remove the cancer, take back your souls

User Info: shugo950

shugo950
1 month ago#102
Irony drips from every paragraph you write like the shapeless thoughts you fill them with. Nothing you are saying is actually true; it isn't reflective of me, or anything I've written.

You were the sole person to create the idea of "I know you are but what am I". You never actually defined what points of my argument were reflective of that - it's literally the only thing left for you to say because it absolves you. It's cyclical, pathetic.

Why even post if you're not going to deconstruct my statements?

You keep trying to define my internal/external world view based only off the idea of me disagreeing with you; every person that disagrees with you representing some pre-defined character. Its one of the only truly "absurd" things happening.
(message deleted)

User Info: redundancies

redundancies
1 month ago#104
shamfuru posted...
illidan is corrupted and sick, and uses that to have an excuse to not have any responsibility for himself. Being cured would make him have to be responsible. illidan -like you- prefers to be a slave to his evil

We aren't talking about illidan. We are talking about you and your deathly fear of responsibility.

I'm not sure where you get this idea that I agree with Illidan or lack responsibility in my own life. As I've said repeatedly, he's a fictional character - I can find him interesting without finding him correct.

As far as the alt accusations are concerned, I'm nobody's alt - Zed and I have both been regulars on this board for a long time (I'm not sure whether I've seen Shugo around here or not) and I'm sure we've disagreed about something or other.

User Info: SilentZed

SilentZed
1 month ago#105
redundancies posted...
shamfuru posted...
illidan is corrupted and sick, and uses that to have an excuse to not have any responsibility for himself. Being cured would make him have to be responsible. illidan -like you- prefers to be a slave to his evil

We aren't talking about illidan. We are talking about you and your deathly fear of responsibility.

I'm not sure where you get this idea that I agree with Illidan or lack responsibility in my own life. As I've said repeatedly, he's a fictional character - I can find him interesting without finding him correct.

As far as the alt accusations are concerned, I'm nobody's alt - Zed and I have both been regulars on this board for a long time (I'm not sure whether I've seen Shugo around here or not) and I'm sure we've disagreed about something or other.

A very long time. And yeah, I'm not his alt and vice versa.

I came back to this topic from a few days and I can't believe it's still going on. Either way, as to the similarities of response, why wouldn't/couldn't they be?

If several people disagree with someone using similar reasoning, that's not exactly a solid reason to assume they must be the same person (especially online).

And we have disagreed with things @redundancies , just usually minor things in terms of seeing eye to eye on certain subjects, though it's been so long I would struggle to find one, though pointing out right there that you said you didn't necessarily find Illidan correct where as I very much say he had every right to defend himself.

Whether or not that was the right or wrong decision is fully up for debate, and is usually a question of outcome. If it turns out everything is fine, then you could argue he was right. If it ends up dooming everything, you can argue it's wrong.

That said, from the perspective of writing contrivances and tropes, it's very easy to assume Illidan will be "right" because obviously the whole of WoW is not going to go boom because, well, it's still profitable.

As someone who works in a social worker type field dealing with people who have been victimized, I don't care how "sick" they are. The only time we get to make the choice for our clients is when they are unresponsive, or unconscious and that's only in medical emergencies.

They could make the worst decisions in the world, and no matter what, that's their choice. We can discuss. I can advise against it and explain to them in-depth the consequences of their actions (if there is time to do so and not occurring during a behavioral incident), but if they choose to make the wrong choice, that's their right.

That's everyone's right - even if their choice has negative repercussions on themselves, or those around them (hurting their family because of their substance habits as an example). Of course if there is a direct negative impact to those present in the form of behavioral incidents, of course we will intervene if they try to become physically violent with someone, but again, that's something with a direct outcome involving someone else.

Illidan made a choice for himself, and he (and everyone else) always has that right.

You can agree that Xe'ra was making a prudent decision considering what is at stake, but don't ever try to justify it as "right". That's the thing that always got me about a lot of groups, who have to use long winded explanations, rationalizations, and whatnot to justify their actions so they don't have to feel bad or so that they can feel righteous or vindicated about the terrible things they have done. If they as a whole have to take the coward's way out doing that many mental gymnastics, you probably shouldn't be doing what you're doing is all I am saying and, to me, is nothing but a sign of weakness and fear.
"My drg has a fever, and the only cure is more piercer credit." - benjjjamin

SilentZed
1 month ago#106

This right here irks me, too. How would curing him make him any more "responsible" other than indoctrinating him to the Light's Will. If anything, that sounds way less responsible since it's essentially brainwashing, taking the easy way out and removing a lot of rational thought (kind of like people who don't want to make any hard decisions on their own and instead constantly rely on being able to follow the will of something else or someone else...sound familiar?).

And no, that's not a personal attack, but it is an attack on any organized belief system where its followers will actively substitute personal thought in favor of dictated will.

He is still out there risking his life and killing demons in a place where killing demons matters. He is still sticking around and working with people. How is that not responsible?

Every time I have asked certain direct questions, I have gotten long winded runarounds/deflections in the form of quotes from other people instead of actual personal thoughts.

User Info: redundancies

redundancies
1 month ago#107
SilentZed posted...
A very long time.

Well I didn't want to unnecessarily age you :)

SilentZed posted...
And we have disagreed with things @redundancies , just usually minor things in terms of seeing eye to eye on certain subjects, though it's been so long I would struggle to find one, though pointing out right there that you said you didn't necessarily find Illidan correct where as I very much say he had every right to defend himself.

I don't think we're too far off, but I think "killing a potential ally" is problematic even if done in self defense. That said I don't think it was "wrong" since he was indeed defending himself, just that hindsight tells me he might have been able to break control just by hitting her a few times. Of course this is a guy who doesn't understand subtlety...

SilentZed
1 month ago#108
redundancies posted...
I don't think we're too far off, but I think "killing a potential ally" is problematic even if done in self defense. That said I don't think it was "wrong" since he was indeed defending himself, just that hindsight tells me he might have been able to break control just by hitting her a few times. Of course this is a guy who doesn't understand subtlety...

That's definitely fair - but I think it was several parts that he warned her (multiple times, once in that he has traded his freedom before and it was implied in his statement he was unwilling to trade it again, something of which Xe'ra didn't argue and a second time saying that his life was not her's to take) and a big part of panic because she was enacting her plan and was forcibly changing him and literally no one was stopping her, not even protesting her actions.

Did he go too far in killing her? Probably. Did she go too far in forcing the change upon him? Absolutely.

That's just my take on things considering he said no multiple times and she didn't care. There does also exist that Illidan might not have known that a simple eye beam attack would kill a Prime Naaru. It's never discussed at length whether he meant to or not. Considering she made the first action, an extremely hostile, "I am going to take away who you are, brainwash you and have you serve the Light.", reacting defensively to an extremely invasive, already in-progress transformation you said no to makes a ton of sense to me.

No means no, Xe'ra. If this was Robocop you would have been shot in the ****.

That said - I completely agree in that losing her is likely going to do the non-Legion defenders any favors (though you can say the Netherlight Crucible does still help the defenders by empowering their weapons).

shamfuru
1 month ago#109
redundancies posted...
shamfuru posted...
redundancies posted...
And I already replied to that by saying Illidan wasn't in any danger of dying (or whatever you're trying to equate) and that doesn't make her the good guy just because she's using "the light" to do it. I feel like we're talking in circles.

That is called sophistry. One part of it is ignoring what I say to merely repeat your thesis. The other part is to deflect to relativity or blame me for what you are doing. It is a type of gnosticism.

You forgot parts of my post in your attempt to deny your intentions. You also seemingly forgot about how desperately you and your friend were defending this tripe just last week.

Of course, you had to wait a few days for the heat to die down. You cannot pretend to be innocent while you previous posts refuting that were on the same page.

To anyone reading this, feel free to go back a few pages and read just how "passive" and "non-agreeing" he was.

As for you not being alts, why are you so indistinguishable and post in shifts? Why do you only converse with one another when prompted for canned conversation to prove just how real you are?

shamfuru
1 month ago#110
[cont]

Also, since zed's alt failed, and the windbag himself came back, allow me to bump this again.

shamfuru posted...
Another quote from Archbishop Sheen about you:
Why, then, sneer at dogmas as intolerant? On all sides we hear it said today, ʺThe modern world wants a religion without dogmas,ʺ which betrays how little thinking goes with that label, for he who says he wants a religion without dogmas is stating a dogma, and a dogma that is harder to justify than many dogmas of faith. A dogma is a true thought, and a religion without dogmas is a religion without thought, or a back without a backbone. All sciences have dogmas. ʺWashington is the capital of the United Statesʺ is a dogma of geography. ʺWater is composed of two atoms of hydrogen and one of oxygenʺ is a dogma of chemistry. Should we be broad‐minded and say that Washington is a sea in Switzerland? Should we be broad‐minded and say that H2O is a symbol for sulfuric acid?

and this
shamfuru posted...
Allow me to repeat the first quote from Abp. Sheen I gave:
"In that statement is the final argument for modern broad‐mindedness: truth is novelty, and hence ʺtruthʺ changes with the passing fancies of the moment. Like the chameleon who changes his colors to suit the vesture on which he is placed, so truth is supposed to change to suit the foibles and obliquities of the age, as if the foundations of thinking might be true for the pre‐Adamites and false for the Adamites. Truth does grow, but it grows homogeneously, like an acorn into an oak; it does not swing in the breeze, like a weathercock. The leopard does not change his spots nor the Ethiopian his skin, though the leopard be put in bars or the Ethiopian in pink tights. The nature of certain things is fixed, and none more so than the nature of truth. Truth maybe contradicted a thousand times, but that only proves that it is strong enough to survive a thousand assaults. But for any one to say, ʺSome say this, some say that, therefore there is no truth,ʺ is about as logical as it would have been for Columbus, who heard some say, ʺThe earth is round,ʺ and other say, ʺThe earth is flat,ʺ to conclude: ʺTherefore there is no earth at all.ʺ

It is this kind of thinking that cannot distinguish between a sheep and his second coat of wool, between Napoleon and his three‐cornered hat, between the substance and the accident, the kind that has begotten minds so flattened with broadness that they have lost all their depth. Like a carpenter who might throw away his rule and use each beam as a measuring‐rod, so, too, those who have thrown away the standard of objective truth have nothing left with which to measure but the mental fashion of the moment.

The giggling giddiness of novelty, the sentimental restlessness of a mind unhinged, and the unnatural fear of a good dose of hard thinking, all conjoin to produce a group of sophomoric latitudinarians who think there is no difference between God as Cause and God as a "mental projection"; who equate Christ and buddha, St. Paul and John Dewey, and then enlarge their broad-mindedness into a sweeping synthesis that says not only that one Christian sect is just as good as another, but even that one world-religion is just as good as another. The great god "progress" is then enthroned on the altars of fashion, and as the hectic worshipers are asked, "Progress towards what?" The tolerant answer comes back, "More progress!" All the while sane men are wondering how there can be progress without direction and how there can be direction without a fixed point. And because they speak of a "fixed point," they are said to be behind the times, when really they are beyond the times mentally and spiritually."
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Do you think they will ever drop the edgelord theme of this game?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived