Classic Server Discussion... I've Always Been Against the Idea

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Classic Server Discussion... I've Always Been Against the Idea

User Info: WoodenRook

WoodenRook
1 month ago#1
I love classic games. I play Warcraft on a website that hosts it. I play Warcraft 2. I've played every expansion of World of Warcraft and have loved Warcraft since reading the manual for Warcraft 1 and finding a different side from a different perspective on the other side of the manual.

My dad and I played Warcraft 1 for a whole year soon after release. I could still tell you a lot of the intricacies. My first girlfriend and I battled it out in a Warcraft clan for Warcraft 2. We were there for the Tower Rushes and the zergs.

I played Warcraft 3 and had every Orc icon on BNet and most other racial icons.

I play on emulators and I've gamed since the 80s on everything from the Nintendo to the Neo Geo and Sega CD to the Playstations and XBoxes.

Nostalgia is real. I've bought Phantasy Star 4 so many times I can't even remember. I've downloaded Shining Force 2, Secret of Mana, Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle, Suikoden, Might and Magic World of Xeen, and hundreds of other PC/Classic Console games.

I've played the current Legion expansion up to Halls of Valor Heroic and stopped playing.

--

I've listed all my gaming pedigree to say... The Classic Server announcement is not a good thing. It's polarizing to the subscribers... Don't expect hundreds of thousands after it's initial shine wears off. It's a last ditch effort by Blizzard/Activision to make another cash grab and fan service. It won't cost developer time from the not-classic servers, but it will cost playtime from the players and it will affect the game.

The original argument for a classic server was that it would be a pure vanilla experience. Already people are asking about patches and Blizzard mentioned hiring a separate dev team for it. The fans don't know what they want. Blizzard even mentioned listening to the fans for changes on the Classic server. Do you really want some of you all to post suggestions on a video game you're playing? It's easy to complain about a leader and their decisions but letting a group make the middle ground less threatening decisions is bland and boring.

The vanilla experience was players. Players have aged, they have more experiences now, it's not shiny and new, there's no more Thottbot or other websites for the content...

Memory always erases the bad. You only remember the good. You don't want a pure vanilla experience. You want something you remember and that's great, but it won't happen. It will fail or it will be changed to something you don't like and people will complain that it's not a pure vanilla experience.

The free servers weren't successful for being Vanilla. They were successful for being free.
Currently Playing: Zelda, Breath of the Wild (Master Mode)
Thoughts so Far: Amazing game, playing Master Mode now.

User Info: HajimeNoIppo

HajimeNoIppo
1 month ago#2
Have to wait and see.

User Info: Eagleeyejack

Eagleeyejack
1 month ago#3
Take polls for what to add / keep out, majority wins therefore majority is happy. Nothing is perfect and that will still be true for nostalgia servers but all the things you said are just as true for the current game. Tons of stuff people hate and argue about.

The one thing you are definitely wrong about IMO is people only playing the nostalgia servers because they were free. The servers will easily get 50k people and that is 650k a month for blizzard and 50 is conservative, could be double that. but even at 25k it would still be well worth it to keep a classic server running at 350k a month.
Feel free to Private message me if you want to speak to me.

User Info: FishermanFriend

FishermanFriend
1 month ago#4
The entire reason classic servers are happening is because of the outcry from the community as a result of Blizzard shutting down Nostalrius.

Your entire nostalgia argument is shot down by the simple fact that all these people have already played vanilla on a private server and loved it.

The fact that you think it was so popular only because it's free is absurd. A sub fee didn't hold vanilla back, and it doesn't hold WoW back now. Why would it hold classic servers back?

User Info: rawkuss

rawkuss
1 month ago#5
I've never been against the idea but I agree with just about everything you said.

I loved Pre-Trammel UO and talk about it all the time. That s*** was real, it was hardcore and it made my blood pump so much with adrenaline running for my life from PKers. For a long time I kept trying to find a game to recreate that feeling and experience but eventually I knew that it could never happen again. The world has changed, the wild west of Pre-Trammel is gone. Even if it did come back (and I'm sure it did in some private server or Darkfall), the only people that would flock to it are PKers and the people that liked hunting PKers.... but all the sheep caught in between? Nope, they're gone and unfortunately they were part of the experience that helped make the game a "world" and not just one group of players fighting another group of players.

And even if everything came back? I'm a different person now too so I'm not even sure if I would go back with so many other options to pick.

User Info: WaffIeElite

WaffIeElite
1 month ago#6
Tens of thousands of people have been playing on the more popular private Vanilla servers.

That's not factoring in the hidden, or less popular ones.

Or the TBC, Wrath, Cata, Pandaria or Warlords servers.

Or the people who were not aware, were still reluctantly playing live WoW, or those who had quit (Like myself).

People have been begging for these, and playing on them for years. Nobody gave a s*** about them being free, you're 100% wrong and just upset for no real reason. You're angry that next door Timmy is getting ice cream too, instead of looking out the window, sad.

By the way, listing your gaming list is garbage, because I can guarantee you that just about everybody else who wants Classic WoW will be on par, or beat yours, badly. Besides, the opinions we care about are those who killed Kel'thuzad in Vanilla, like me, and many others who want Classic WoW.
I have a signature. Apparently this is important, but I still don't have my secret cool kid decoder ring yet.

User Info: Azardea

Azardea
1 month ago#7
I'm actually really excited to see if it'll succeed like Old School RuneScape, or if it'll crash and burn. Honestly leaning more towards the latter.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL68FD0D7F63715384

User Info: Heineken14

Heineken14
1 month ago#8
I couldn't give a s*** less about them really. I did my hardcore vanilla stint back when it was relevant. If people want to try and relive their highschool days, more power to them. I'm happy for them they are bringing them back for those people.

BUT... I don't want Blizzard wasting resources on them and adding content, making tweaks, balancing, etc... You wanted vanilla, you get vanilla, or as close to it as it will be, because it definitely isn't going to be the vanilla people cream over. Going to say it now, that I think it'll have the current class mechanics for example. You won't get the old s***ty talent trees back, which may be a blessing actually, as it will make classes worthwhile this time around.
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.

User Info: Hohei

Hohei
1 month ago#9
WaffIeElite posted...

People have been begging for these, and playing on them for years. Nobody gave a s*** about them being free, you're 100% wrong and just upset for no real reason. You're angry that next door Timmy is getting ice cream too, instead of looking out the window, sad.

By the way, listing your gaming list is garbage, because I can guarantee you that just about everybody else who wants Classic WoW will be on par, or beat yours, badly. Besides, the opinions we care about are those who killed Kel'thuzad in Vanilla, like me, and many others who want Classic WoW.

Oh calm down, Joker Jr. The points he made are valid, you're the angry one because they are valid and are attacking your sensibilities.

Just because -you- and a handful of others would be willing to pay $15 a month to play on a vanilla server doesn't mean the other 90% of freeloaders would. "Buh-buh, we said we'd pay and blizzurd listened!" "2000 SUUUUBBBED NOSSST AND WOULD DONAAATE." Talk is cheap, actions will prove either of our points. I -guarantee- you, people like you will be 100% disappointed and go back to your private servers because you cannot go completely backwards in progress. Mods are a thing now, some QoL improvements will be made. You will not get the 100% vanilla experience, hell even the private servers you people tout as the second coming of gaming jesus aren't 100% vanilla.

Also, no one cares you beat Naxx40. No one will care in 5 years, 10 years, or on your deathbed. Don't be so insufferable.
Damn twitter/facebook/blog generation thinking they're special snowflakes who think their thoughts/comments/concerns mean ****.

User Info: MaruKazeryu

MaruKazeryu
1 month ago#10
The only thing that will make me genuinely not hate WoW Classic is if it is free to play

And I know that’s not happening
Currently playing: League of Legends, Fire Emblem: Fates, Pokemon Nuzlocke
PSN: Marii_Jhanei, Steam: Metaspark Last Updated: 3/19/2016
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Classic Server Discussion... I've Always Been Against the Idea

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived