Classic Server Discussion... I've Always Been Against the Idea

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Classic Server Discussion... I've Always Been Against the Idea

User Info: WoodenRook

WoodenRook
1 month ago#31
I don't think they fudged their numbers at all. I do know that I can take data and present it negatively with some statistics and then I can take data for the same thing and present it positively.

You don't have to fudge numbers if you aren't explaining them consistently against something.

For a silly easy example.. Nost may say they have 1 Mil accounts created, while WoW may say they have 1 Mil active subs. Looks the same to some people, but the active subs matter more.
Currently Playing: Zelda, Breath of the Wild (Master Mode)
Thoughts so Far: Amazing game, playing Master Mode now.

User Info: Nordini

Nordini
1 month ago#32
They better keep it true to the original. If it doesn't have the old talent trees it will be completely ruined.

If they support it with new updates after release it will render the main game obsolete.

User Info: MajinUltima

MajinUltima
1 month ago#33
WoodenRook posted...
Nostalgia is real

--Yep, and I really can't imagine that the novelty of classic servers won't simply fade quickly. I think it was a waste of time and effort for something people will get tired of quickly.
http://i.imgur.com/mYFkgcb.gifv

User Info: narfa

narfa
1 month ago#34

And yet, they released a remaster of Starcraft.......

I can't even begin to fathom what that has to do with anything. Starcraft isn't built around being a social experience.
black out or get out.

User Info: Joker_X_II

Joker_X_II
1 month ago#35
WoodenRook posted...
I don't think they fudged their numbers at all. I do know that I can take data and present it negatively with some statistics and then I can take data for the same thing and present it positively.

But with what statistics? That's the point. Who's saying those private-server players (especially on Nost) were nothing but 'moochers'?

How did they get their sample demographic to counter-argue against what Nost said?

I'd really like to know where the conclusion comes from, instead of hearing flippant statements from anti-Vanilla people who disregard cohesive gaming communities.

User Info: Wulg

Wulg
1 month ago#36
I personally played Vanilla private servers non-stop for 3 years (quit last year). This alone 100% invalidates the argument that people don't really know what Vanilla was like and won't like it. It also invalidates the argument that people only play Vanilla because it's free. I currently sub and play FFXIV, and would pay $30 a month (or more) to play Blizzard's Vanilla. I would also welcome updated character models, reworked boss mechanics and added voice lines, etc.

Retail Vanilla servers were capped around 3k players and honestly some of the private servers had way too many players to make it enjoyable. Therefore, part of me hopes you're right so we can have a more sustainable Vanilla population but unfortunately I doubt that's going to be the case.

edit: Spelling error

User Info: WoodenRook

WoodenRook
1 month ago#37
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostalrius

It's the 2nd paragraph. It lists 2 numbers, one is registered accounts, and one is active accounts.

How to determine active accounts on a free server?

You can't compare active free accounts to active subscribing accounts. It's apples and oranges.

So when people say Nost was successful with 150k active accounts it's assuming they are the same as active Blizzard accounts. It's spinning it in a positive way and not explaining what an "active" free to play account means.

There are factors to consider... like was it based on last play time? Could that be during a peak advertising or hype month? Is that number a peak number or a average? How often did those 150k log in more than a few times a month?

With Blizzards active sub none of that matters. Blizzard subs are paying period. It's just different and there's no spinning it. You either have an active sub or you don't.
Currently Playing: Zelda, Breath of the Wild (Master Mode)
Thoughts so Far: Amazing game, playing Master Mode now.

User Info: Azardea

Azardea
1 month ago#38
Wulg posted...
This alone 100% invalidates the argument that people don't really know what Vanilla was like and won't like it.

I mean, I don't really care one way or another, but one exception doesn't prove anything at all.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL68FD0D7F63715384

User Info: DevilPhoenix

DevilPhoenix
1 month ago#39
https://i.imgur.com/oOWGMVu.jpg

User Info: Joker_X_II

Joker_X_II
1 month ago#40
We're talking about "legitimacy", and you link a wikipedia page?

How about I link:

http://bfrontz.net/Nostalrius_post_mortem.pdf

The actual post-mordem report from Nost.

I won't copy all that was said, but the info about surveys is on page 69, and onward.

One item I will point out was: "Without surprise, most of them left because of changes brought to the game, and the lack of time or money represents a minority of players."

And of course they include all the numbers and graphs as well.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Classic Server Discussion... I've Always Been Against the Idea

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived