Classic Server Discussion... I've Always Been Against the Idea

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Classic Server Discussion... I've Always Been Against the Idea

User Info: XXHornDogXX

XXHornDogXX
1 month ago#61
What proof is there that people who mainly play on private servers do so because because its free opposed to it being the vanilla state of WoW?

How come private servers of current WoW weren’t as popular then? Or another expansion of WoW? Why is it that Nostralius is a house hold name now to WoW players opposed to any other private server when they’re also free?

User Info: silvergokuZ

silvergokuZ
1 month ago#62
The thing is when people want classic they mostly mean BC or WOTLK, I loved the game but hated the grind even at launch and until around Cata, problem was Cata changed maps so much and nerfed certain classes.

The best thing would be to have a mix of old and new, old maps, newer models and better ai, spells that were removed around Cata being brought back.
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.

User Info: nedrith

nedrith
1 month ago#63
silvergokuZ posted...
The thing is when people want classic they mostly mean BC or WOTLK, I loved the game but hated the grind even at launch and until around Cata, problem was Cata changed maps so much and nerfed certain classes.

The best thing would be to have a mix of old and new, old maps, newer models and better ai, spells that were removed around Cata being brought back.

Nope Vanilla has as much of a following as BC and more than WoTLK. A lot of people hated arenas and loved 40 mans.

http://bfrontz.net/Nostalrius_post_mortem.pdf pg.74 look at the graphs keep in mind the scaling numbers are different for each one. BC slightly wins, it's 10 peaks up closer to 11k whereas vanilla is 10k but overall not a huge difference. WotLK hits 10 at 7k responses though it's 8 and 9s are pretty high as well. Granted this could be due to Nost running a vanilla and TBC server. Though after WotLK the rest were crap in the poll.

User Info: WoodenRook

WoodenRook
1 month ago#64
LOL This guy... "I have good work life balance! I have good work life balance!" Dude, you play an MMO.

When someone says they play World of Warcraft to anyone I'm sure the first thing they think to themselves is man this person must have a good work life balance.

FYI, 0 hours one week doesn't magically give you a balance of 72 hours the next week. That's three solid days of gaming in a seven day period. That's not a balance.

But, to the point, you running Uber for a week isn't the same job many real adults have. No one spends that much time on any other hobby, but somehow it's good worklife balance for you to spend it on gaming. How do you manage to do all these raids you're so great at if you're skipping weekly lockouts?
Currently Playing: Zelda, Breath of the Wild (Master Mode)
Thoughts so Far: Amazing game, playing Master Mode now.

User Info: mkfan1605

mkfan1605
1 month ago#65
FatalImage posted...
Wow, so patronizing. I'll happily make new memories playing Vanilla because it is a BETTER RPG than Legion/Battle of Azeroth, not because I yearn for my guild from 12 years ago.

I came back to this game for Legion, and didn't hate it or anything, but you're talking about memories, what about playing this game is memorable right now? Zerging through a bunch of dungeons so your AP ticks up? Getting a legendary item from killing 10 dogs for a world quest?
(edited 10 hours ago)

Your still missing the point. The reason those old raids were good because of the experiences you had with THE PEOPLE you raided with.

It is like a family vacation. You could go to the absolute worst place for a vacation. The roof leaks,it rains the whole time, you got the wrong cabin, etc etc but because you are with your loved ones it could and usually does turn out to be one of the best times of your life.

Same goes for reverse. You could be on the alleged best vacation ever but your kids have grown up and off doing their own thing, your significant other wants to spend time with the kids and is in pain and because you are human you feel their pain. Thusly it turns out to the worst vacation.

Same is true with raiding. If you have a good group and people you actually care about you could do the easiest most boring raid in the world and have one of the best times ever. Also you could back to the classic raid and because you have new people that you don't really have a connection with you and they are/or they are all jerks could have one of the worst times.

TLDR: It's the people not the game itself that makes a multiplayer game'st good or bad. The content is nothing more than a bonus.

Lastly Make the most of what you have now instead of always looking back or forward. Find a group of players you connect with (not just about the game but about other things) and see how quickly that "boring content" changes for the better.

I hope my message at least stays in the back of your mind when these legacy servers come back. Quite honestly for some of you (and I hope for all of you) that I am wrong. But again I am just being realistic. I am trying to let everyone have a realistic expectation.
(message deleted)

User Info: Joker_X_II

Joker_X_II
1 month ago#67
WoodenRook posted...
LOL This guy... "I have good work life balance! I have good work life balance!" Dude, you play an MMO.

yeah and?....I've achieved a work/life balance, and play MMOs.....you're saying that's impossible? Hate to think what your life is like if you have to flame people who can do what you can't.

When someone says they play World of Warcraft to anyone I'm sure the first thing they think to themselves is man this person must have a good work life balance

Yeah, so let's talk about that "someone" who would think that..... dullards who can't wrap their minds around how other people spend their personal time, nor have the ability to manage their lives to make that time when they want. Usually those people are down-trodden, miserable, poor, struggling to find their own balance in life because of bad life choices.

...and really, although you can only pity them so much, it's their fault in the end. Not Blizzard's. So why change the game for them? Why does my game diminish, because some dumb punk went through 5 teen pregnancies with 4 other girls, has to work at Wal-Mart and McDonalds to pay the child support and his own rent....and he still believes he's entitled to a raid spot?

*I know that's an extreme example to use, but in my experience I got friends stuck in dead-end 9-to-5 jobs and they STILL make time to play the games they want. So anyone saying they can't manage that balance must have some serious misery in their life to expect such virtual entitlement.......and not that, but these miserable f***s need to go out of their way and disprove other peoples claim of life balance on gaming forums, because the concept is so far out of reach for them, it's become an myth to them. And the moment anyone tries to disprove that myth into a reality, that's when the forum hate starts happening.

FYI, 0 hours one week doesn't magically give you a balance of 72 hours the next week.

Says who?.....again, if you can't wrap your mind around the kind of work I do to allow such personal freedom, then it would seem it's you who has the problem here.

That's three solid days of gaming in a seven day period. That's not a balance.

What the s*** is this f***? L2Math. And L2langauge too. "solid"? As in "straight"? I mean I know of that Korean kid who sat in an internet cafe for 3 days straight and died of shock when he stood up. But where do you think I do this 'solid'?.....Mind you when the game was good, I have burned entire weekends playing like some have before; I'm gulity of that.

You ask for my weekly average hours playing? There's 168 hours in week, riiiiiight? And assuming I spend a third of each day sleeping normally, that's 56 hours already taken off, so 112 hours of staying awake. Full-time jobs are usually 40 hours a week, so that "72" hours of free personal time in a week.

I don't sit on the couch endlessly watch s*** TV, unless I'm binge watching boxsets and Netflix shows, but that's only finite entertainment. Leave TV for consumer-whores who pay a cable bill to watch face-cream ads and pay-day loans. You're asking for averages, and moments of 'watching' are only outliers. Being fair, skip-trips and other physical activities are outliers too. Doesn't effect the average, so I still have the ballpark number of 72 hours. But hey, let's be fair, I'll give you 2 hours to keep up with house-hold chores and errands; house clean, bills paid, fridge stocked.

So 70 hours.....so what do I do? None of your f***ing business for starters. But if I'm claiming I have a good life balance I'm sure I have the time to farm herbs to make nature resist pots for the Princess Huru fight with my raid group the following day.

User Info: Joker_X_II

Joker_X_II
1 month ago#68
But, to the point, you running Uber for a week isn't the same job many real adults have.

An I'm countering your point, with the idea that even a 9-to-5 slave can get that balance too. You have to be a supreme loser in life if you can't do that.

No one spends that much time on any other hobby,...

You don't know much about hobbies do you? My father was a 'car guy', if he wasn't at work, he'd be in the garage restoring '57 Chevy he found in a junkyard......

but somehow it's good worklife balance for you to spend it on gaming.

So if you want to trivialize 'gaming',....why are you here?

How do you manage to do all these raids you're so great at if you're skipping weekly lockouts?

If you're going to switch gears like this, at least try to make some sense.....

If the game itself gave me a reason to be dedicated enough, I wouldn't be missing any weekly lockout to begin with.

The current version we are in, isn't giving me a high incentive to do so, but that isn't the point of this thread (or this branched topic in this thread) is it?

We're getting Classic Servers back, and the need for full dedication into the raid scene is returning. After 14 years of this game's history, I still have the time to what is necessary to fulfill that requirement, and the old school design is incentive to get me back full-time.

You and the other guy thinks it's a bad idea, as that guy thinks we've got 14 years of life problems on our shoulders and can't be able to handle those requirements. I'm proving him and you wrong on that, as well as Blizzard too. Blizzard made the mistake of tailor fitting the game to 'your' needs, when they should've stuck to the plan and told you, this game isn't for you anymore. Then leave up to you to quit the game, or stay as a casual doing mid-core content if you like WoW that much.

....but again, it seem they are slowly rectifying those mistakes, when you look at the little things like Pathfinders, time-gated content, and now Classic servers. Slowly but surely it seems Blizzard is bring the gamer and the game, back to the 'game'.

User Info: FatalImage

FatalImage
1 month ago#69
mkfan1605 posted...

Your still missing the point. The reason those old raids were good because of the experiences you had with THE PEOPLE you raided with.

TLDR: It's the people not the game itself that makes a multiplayer game'st good or bad. The content is nothing more than a bonus.

I think this is a simplistic view of what makes a good multiplayer experience, but even if I humor you, you're solidifying my choice. I will choose the game that fosters community (WoW vanilla) rather than the glorified single-player (WoW Legion)

User Info: WoodenRook

WoodenRook
1 month ago#70
FatalImage posted...
mkfan1605 posted...

I think this is a simplistic view of what makes a good multiplayer experience, but even if I humor you, you're solidifying my choice. I will choose the game that fosters community (WoW vanilla) rather than the glorified single-player (WoW Legion)

If you think Legion was single player, you didn't raid. If you didn't raid in Legion, the expansion many consider the easiest to raid in, then you aren't going to raid in Classic. Guaranteed.

If you're looking for hard 5 mans, that doesn't exist in Classic either. The 5 mans weren't hard. The only thing hard about them was getting a group together and getting there. You're looking at at least 15 minutes getting a party together and for a lot of the instances you're looking at a couple hours to run them. Less good gear dropped in the raids and instances as well.

You're talking about 40 people in a lot of them. The bosses still drop about 2-3 on average pieces. You may be playing with people, but they are people that are out against you for the most part. Even guilds broke apart because of Naxx and it's class requirements and bad loot.

The game has never been more multiplayer than it is in Legion. You have LFG that may be cross realm, but you can still friend people. You have Mythic Keystones that extend 5 mans way longer than past expansions. You have LFR to goof off and learn how to raid. You have the raids themselves that you can gear up easily for and have natural progression with enough gear drops to steadily keep up.

In Classic, if you didn't keep up you slowly got filtered to another guild while they picked up someone from a guild that was failing, but ahead of you. It was very easy not to be able to keep up as well. You didn't want potions one week, you got ninja looted another week, you failed 3 or so rolls in a row... Yea, Classic was so fun.
Currently Playing: Zelda, Breath of the Wild (Master Mode)
Thoughts so Far: Amazing game, playing Master Mode now.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Classic Server Discussion... I've Always Been Against the Idea

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived