Classic Server Discussion... I've Always Been Against the Idea

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Classic Server Discussion... I've Always Been Against the Idea

User Info: Aceron

Aceron
4 weeks ago#91
Ultimate_Noob posted...
@Aceron Yeah, the legal team of theirs must be monstrous costs especially when dealing with C&D's in certain countries. I would think however that it's a lot like the fallacy of "every count of piracy = lost sales" and there's a substantial amount of players who only play on private servers because it's free WoW, like the original post states. They'll presumably be eager to justify that their time sunk into private servers already is grounds for "too little too late."

But on the other hand just having the legacy servers makes Blizzard's legal standing much stronger, as those private servers are now pirating an active existing property of Blizzard. Having a stronger case makes those C&Ds much cheaper to push through.

Which, again, probably justifies the cost of the team of coders they're gonna hire to make this happen.
Believe in yourself. Not you, that believes in me.
Not me, that believes in you. Believe in you that believes in yourself. - Kamina, TTGL

User Info: mkfan1605

mkfan1605
4 weeks ago#92
FatalImage posted...

I don't get it. You're seemingly agreeing with a guy who went on a tirade against how bad vanilla was, but then you're saying that Blizzard is going to change Vanilla and that's the problem? I'm confused.

You're right you don't get it. I am saying that the PLAYERS are going to say it's changed because of what I explained earlier.

User Info: Ultimate_Noob

Ultimate_Noob
4 weeks ago#93
Aceron posted...
Ultimate_Noob posted...
@Aceron Yeah, the legal team of theirs must be monstrous costs especially when dealing with C&D's in certain countries. I would think however that it's a lot like the fallacy of "every count of piracy = lost sales" and there's a substantial amount of players who only play on private servers because it's free WoW, like the original post states. They'll presumably be eager to justify that their time sunk into private servers already is grounds for "too little too late."

But on the other hand just having the legacy servers makes Blizzard's legal standing much stronger, as those private servers are now pirating an active existing property of Blizzard. Having a stronger case makes those C&Ds much cheaper to push through.

Which, again, probably justifies the cost of the team of coders they're gonna hire to make this happen.

I never thought about it solidifying legal grounds, but I suppose it does. The private server scene doesn't seem rife with anyone who would seriously consider disputing a C&D though - let alone any who'd actually think they'd win; it's still Activision-Blizzard's IP and assets even if they're not using them. So I'm not sure where exactly it'd cut the costs on a practical level unless you mean they'll take their chances on just letting one of the executives' fresh-out-of-law-school nephew type a quick C&D email for them.
A pc's brain is the cpu, its heart is the motherboard, its stomach is the hard drive, and its anus is the user.

User Info: xJehodx

xJehodx
4 weeks ago#94
As a person that was in a classic only guild for a few years, I would say the demand for legitimate classic servers are there.
"Sa souvraya niende misain ye."
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Classic Server Discussion... I've Always Been Against the Idea

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived