Can someone explain the subscription to me?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Can someone explain the subscription to me?

User Info: fancystopperman

fancystopperman
4 weeks ago#1
I'm ready to play the game now but I heard that I have to make sure I get everything or else I'll be wasting my money.

I know I need a battle chest which contains the membership giftcard. But how do I get a token that boost me to level 100?
You can buy it for $60, but you get one for free with the purchase of the most current expansion

User Info: Azardea

Azardea
4 weeks ago#3
You buy the base game, which includes a month of gameplay and every expansion except for Legion.
You buy Legion, which comes with a free level 100 boost.
Then you pay a monthly fee.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL68FD0D7F63715384

fancystopperman
4 weeks ago#4
Azardea posted...
You buy the base game, which includes a month of gameplay and every expansion except for Legion.

How much do Legion and the base game cost together?
fancystopperman posted...
Azardea posted...

How much do Legion and the base game cost together?

The battle chest is $20
The expansion is $50
sub is $15 a month with discounts for multi month purchases.

User Info: Dawnshadow

Dawnshadow
4 weeks ago#6
How it works is this: WoW has a battle chest, which contains all the expansions BUT the current one and gives you one free month of gameplay. It also has one current expansion, currently Legion. (Wait until closer to Thanksgiving to buy it; they almost always have a Black Friday sale!) You can play all the old expansions and level up to 100 without Legion, but most players are grouped at the highest level.

After a month, you have to start paying monthly to play. It's $15 USD a month, or slightly less if you buy 3 or 6 months at a time. You can also pay for your subscription by selling gold to other players via "battle.net tokens." Getting that much gold as a new player is extremely difficult. Most people who do this either have a LOT of high level characters and gather an almost-passive trickle of gold from each, or play the auction house and focus a decent chunk of game time on goldmaking.

Keep in mind that you get one "free" boost every time you buy a new expansion. If you keep buying expansions you'll get one around every two years.

I also wouldn't use a boost immediately if it's your first MMO. The start of the game is basically a tutorial. Roll a few classes and play them to 20 or 30, which is generally enough to get an idea of if you'll like them, even if all their abilities aren't in yet. Take advantage of the class trials to demo the classes at higher level, too.
I wish I made $400k a year to spam Twitter with nonsense and go golfing in Florida every other weekend....

User Info: WoodenRook

WoodenRook
4 weeks ago#7
Does Legion not also come with a free month?

EDIT: The base game comes with a free month. So it's really just $5 for the base game, $15 for the month and $50 for the expansion if you think about it.
Currently Playing: Zelda, Breath of the Wild (Master Mode)
Thoughts so Far: Amazing game, playing Master Mode now.

User Info: WoodenRook

WoodenRook
4 weeks ago#8
Dawnshadow posted...
How it works is this: WoW has a battle chest, which contains all the expansions BUT the current one and gives you one free month of gameplay. It also has one current expansion, currently Legion. (Wait until closer to Thanksgiving to buy it; they almost always have a Black Friday sale!) You can play all the old expansions and level up to 100 without Legion, but most players are grouped at the highest level.

After a month, you have to start paying monthly to play. It's $15 USD a month, or slightly less if you buy 3 or 6 months at a time. You can also pay for your subscription by selling gold to other players via "battle.net tokens." Getting that much gold as a new player is extremely difficult. Most people who do this either have a LOT of high level characters and gather an almost-passive trickle of gold from each, or play the auction house and focus a decent chunk of game time on goldmaking.

Keep in mind that you get one "free" boost every time you buy a new expansion. If you keep buying expansions you'll get one around every two years.

I also wouldn't use a boost immediately if it's your first MMO. The start of the game is basically a tutorial. Roll a few classes and play them to 20 or 30, which is generally enough to get an idea of if you'll like them, even if all their abilities aren't in yet. Take advantage of the class trials to demo the classes at higher level, too.

Use the boost first. I linked a good vid explaining why. This is a myth. The leveling 1-30 is so much worse than just doing the boost tutorial that explains more.

Also, why advise to buy the game at all? You can level to 20 on almost any character for free.

https://youtu.be/xmSQFKGngqo
Currently Playing: Zelda, Breath of the Wild (Master Mode)
Thoughts so Far: Amazing game, playing Master Mode now.

User Info: Dawnshadow

Dawnshadow
4 weeks ago#9
WoodenRook posted...
Also, why advise to buy the game at all? You can level to 20 on almost any character for free.

I honestly forgot about that.

But that's even more so-- play for free now, THEN if you decide to buy it, do it when the price drops in a few weeks.
I wish I made $400k a year to spam Twitter with nonsense and go golfing in Florida every other weekend....

fancystopperman
4 weeks ago#10
Dawnshadow posted...
WoodenRook posted...

I honestly forgot about that.

But that's even more so-- play for free now,

I've played for free and I've bought the subscription (only made it to level 50 though). The free trial is outdated.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Can someone explain the subscription to me?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived