I know this probably has been discussed to death, but the backside of Azeroth

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. I know this probably has been discussed to death, but the backside of Azeroth

User Info: TheRobber

TheRobber
4 weeks ago#1
https://i.imgur.com/RPz9zdf.jpg
the map we all know and love takes up like a third of the planet. so much space for Blizzard to add s*** in the coming expansions.

User Info: Al-Uzza

Al-Uzza
3 weeks ago#2
I had a dream the day before Blizzcon about the front side of the world being fractured into many pieces along with a new continent we hadn't seen yet. Still think my idea was better.

Also isn't that Northrend?

User Info: WoodenRook

WoodenRook
3 weeks ago#3
Are you a flat earther or is the assumption that the flat representation of a spherical earth isn't a representation of all sides of the sphere?
Currently Playing: Zelda, Breath of the Wild (Master Mode)
Thoughts so Far: Amazing game, playing Master Mode now.

User Info: Pokeymuns

Pokeymuns
3 weeks ago#4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc4vJWbSeC4

In-game titan-crafted globe in Halls of Lightning.
Based on this, the space on the back side of the globe is somewhat larger than the distance between EK and Kalimdor now. And it's all water (for now).

Continent scale and placement is subject to retcon and change of course.
Northrend, Kezan, Pandaria, Broken Isles, etc. got shoved into place when each expansion introduced them. (Some had existed in lore prior to their introduction in game of course, just that they were never represented accurately in WoW until they were needed.)
The Maelstrom got shifted at one point iirc.
They'll be adding in Zandalar and Kul'Tiras into the space between EK/Kalimdor as well, in BfA.

User Info: Heineken14

Heineken14
3 weeks ago#5
Thought they made reference to there being "more" to the back of it.
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.

User Info: Al-Uzza

Al-Uzza
3 weeks ago#6
Heineken14 posted...
Thought they made reference to there being "more" to the back of it.

Metzen did say that a few years ago.

User Info: Aceron

Aceron
3 weeks ago#7
They have plenty of excuse to retcon the size of the continents down.

If you apply any degree of common sense to it, the equator runs somewhere around the southern tips of EK and Kalimdor (around silithus and stranglethorn vale, roughly) And Icecrown probably marks the edge of the arctic circle (much farther north than that and the ocean north of it would be frozen over.)

Meaning the world map we see now is about 60% of the world north to south. (art team's work pasting it onto globes nonwithstanding)
Believe in yourself. Not you, that believes in me.
Not me, that believes in you. Believe in you that believes in yourself. - Kamina, TTGL

User Info: Pokeymuns

Pokeymuns
3 weeks ago#8
This week's Antorus breadcrumb quest (with Magni and the stone in the Krokul Hovel) is notable in that they reused the old titan globe. It's unchanged -- a snippet of it gives you enough time to see the huge blank watery expanse on the "back" of the globe.

Doesn't really set anything in stone though, if they need/want to retcon the continent positions they'll do it.

User Info: Wyldefyr

Wyldefyr
3 weeks ago#9
I think the issue, is if the flat map of Azeroth represents the whole world, why do the boats between Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms always go across the middle, around the maelstrom and broken isles. Many of them would be much shorter to go the other way, across the 'edge' or the map. and you wouldn't have to risk the big whirlpool or the legion invaded isles. On another topic, how cool would it be if ships could randomly be attacked by the legion, or pulled into the maelstrom....loading screen goes away, and instead of safely in Stormwind you have to fight off a legion invasion on the ship. Maybe super rare, but awesome rewards. possibly optional, with a toggle for if you want it to be possible or not.
PSN: wyldefyr
Pain is how I know I'm alive.

User Info: Heineken14

Heineken14
3 weeks ago#10
Azeroth be lookin thiiiiicc
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. I know this probably has been discussed to death, but the backside of Azeroth

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived