Will Classic gets it's own token?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Will Classic gets it's own token?

User Info: toolittletime

toolittletime
3 weeks ago#1
Or will gold sellers have the market to themselves again?
Just curious how they will handle it, for an authentic experience I'm guessing they just have to let the gold farmers have at it.

I should have made the post "should Classic get its own token?"
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it lives its whole life believing it's stupid. Albert Einstein

User Info: Azardea

Azardea
3 weeks ago#2
Pretty sure gold was much more important back then than it is now, so I'd imagine being able to buy gold like that would hurt the game.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL68FD0D7F63715384

User Info: GreatHammurabi

GreatHammurabi
3 weeks ago#3
Azardea posted...
Pretty sure gold was much more important back then than it is now, so I'd imagine being able to buy gold like that would hurt the game.

And it was substantially harder to make back then. It was relatively common for people to hit level 40 and not have enough gold for their mount and training.

Adding a token would totally trivialize money and the economy.
3DS Friend Code: 5284 - 1400 - 8692
Friend Safari: Dewgong, Sneasel, Delibird - In Game Name: Andrew

toolittletime
3 weeks ago#4
If it balanced like it is in retail, just defeating illegal gold sellers, 100 gold for 20$ to start or something.
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it lives its whole life believing it's stupid. Albert Einstein

User Info: Joker_X_II

Joker_X_II
3 weeks ago#5
No, Classic shouldn't have it's own token, and honestly there wouldn't be a need for it either.

Classic is going to cater to the "nostalgic", "hardcores", "purists"......which, according to the LFR white-knights of the Current game, it a small percentage of the WoW's current overall player-base (while "others" assume it's going to be a healthy 6 figure number playing Classic, time will tell).

Vanilla's gold economy was always artificially inflated by RMTs and exploiters (like item duping), driving up the need to buy gold to keep up or beat other players; as opposed to a natural community driven economy with real supply/demand results. Vanilla was overly popular for it's time so there were black market demands for buying gold from a wide range of 'cheating scumbags', some of whom we now call in the microtransaction side of the gaming business as WHALES.

Consider now, depending on the would-be 'popularity' of Classic WoW today, if we were to believe that RMTs were to play on that demand again, while believing the (so-called) tiny community of 'nostalgic-purists' who run that demand, could mean that the endorsement of such black market service would be too negligible to counter with such a feature like WoW tokens.

As well, the Classic team will probably fix all the game-breaking bugs and glitches too, so there could be less exploits than what Vanilla had on that side. And I doubt some shanty-town LAN party somewhere in China is going to go out of their way to cater to the few players (out of an assumed tiny Classic community already) to make a feasible business out of it. If there is at least going to be 1 or 2 of them, they'd easily be blocked by the current anti-spam feature, which I'd endorse to be a real QoL change to Classic.

That said, also consider the players of Current WoW today, and the existence of the WoW token. I remember having "conversations" with those who endorsed buying gold from gold-farmers, which caused many AH inflations, and adding harm and toxicity to the game as well. ....well, those "types" are what made WoW today, with the token, and their excuses of allowing such 'freedom' to play the game they felt was the only way to play; justifying how it's "nOt PaY2wIn", ruining the current game by creating "gold-sinks", like the Light-forged Armour mount that no one can get without buying tokens, and other grind-gates.

Those "types" would be deluding themselves to think they can play that way in Classic, as they did back in the Vanilla. So it would be smart of them to just stay in Current WoW and spend all their money like a chump.

Classic should remain pure to the sense that the economy will be (as close to) 100% community driven than the original intent Vanilla had. RMT's and their 'customers', wouldn't/shouldn't be bothering with Classic.

toolittletime
3 weeks ago#6
I never bought gold in vanilla, I don't even know what the prices were like, it does seem like tokens balance themselves out, they also put a real thorn in the sides of illegal sellers, gives Blizzard an opportunity to make more profits.

I do feel that the population may be a lot less likely to even feel the need to buy gold, a minimal amount of illegal sellers would be easy to control.

User Info: Izicial

Izicial
3 weeks ago#7
toolittletime posted...
I never bought gold in vanilla, I don't even know what the prices were like, it does seem like tokens balance themselves out, they also put a real thorn in the sides of illegal sellers, gives Blizzard an opportunity to make more profits.

I do feel that the population may be a lot less likely to even feel the need to buy gold, a minimal amount of illegal sellers would be easy to control.

Getting spammed every 5 minutes with a whisper from those gold sellers is so f***ing annoying though.

Even realms like Nost. you would constantly get spammed by gold sellers. There will be gold sellers and their auto whisper bots will be annoying.

toolittletime
3 weeks ago#8
Izicial posted...
toolittletime posted...

Getting spammed every 5 minutes with a whisper from those gold sellers is so f***ing annoying though.

Even realms like Nost. you would constantly get spammed by gold sellers. There will be gold sellers and their auto whisper bots will be annoying.

I was wondering if there was gold seller spam on those servers, was about to look it up.

User Info: Ana_Nuann

Ana_Nuann
3 weeks ago#9
I don't think classic will have a separate subscription to begin with.

User Info: Doober2

Doober2
3 weeks ago#10
It will. Blizzard aren't going to miss the chance to make some money from tokens. Same with the level boost

Doubt they will be there at Classic release though.
Currently Playing: Assassins Creed: Origins
Whisper can do it!
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Will Classic gets it's own token?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived