Arms Warrior v. Windwalker Monk

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Arms Warrior v. Windwalker Monk

User Info: InfinityFlame

InfinityFlame
1 month ago#1
I play arms. Im decent. Most of the time Im top dps and top kills in pvp. I can win most 1v1 matches in my level range (108).

However every time I go against a windwalker monk that even has worse gear than I do they burst me down quickly and I can barely put a dent in their health.

Can someone tell me what the deal is? How does arms beat windwalker?!
How much mud could a mudcrab crab if a mudcrab could crab mud?

User Info: Perascamin

Perascamin
1 month ago#2
Monks are just incredibly mobile, have bulls*** self healing, and they also have like 2 long stuns
I've grown.

User Info: SilentZed

SilentZed
1 month ago#3
Touch of Karma will **** your **** up.

They will often wait to pop it when they are slightly lower since the damage you do also heals them and then gets reflected back at you. Transcendence gives a sizeable heal to worry about, too.

That said, Mortal Strike does heal for a ton unless it gets dodged which can happen. If you avoid gibbing yourself during ToK, you stand a much better chance of not getting smashed.
"My drg has a fever, and the only cure is more piercer credit." - benjjjamin

InfinityFlame
1 month ago#4
SilentZed posted...
Touch of Karma will **** your **** up.

They will often wait to pop it when they are slightly lower since the damage you do also heals them and then gets reflected back at you. Transcendence gives a sizeable heal to worry about, too.

That said, Mortal Strike does heal for a ton unless it gets dodged which can happen. If you avoid gibbing yourself during ToK, you stand a much better chance of not getting smashed.

You just changed my life completely. I see their 2 major skills are "Touch of Karma" and "Touch of Death" both of which are ridiculously overpowered. Touch of Death is just ridiculous. It does half their health in damage! Wtf. That's absolutely crazy.

Can you give me any more advice in countering windwalkers?

User Info: SilentZed

SilentZed
1 month ago#5
No true advice, only academically speaking since I have only been against them as the Arms Warrior and haven't done any PvP on my Monk.

That said, Touch of Death does do reduced damage to players, so don't get intimidated by that and think it's hopeless. It's still strong...very strong, but Gale Burst causes 10% of the damage they do during its duration to be added to the burst when Touch of Death does go off. If you can avoid the damage they do to do you completely without damaging yourself.

Coincidentally, Die by the Sword also lasts 8 seconds. Just be prepared for the stun. Likely they will try to lead into their burst by making sure you are stunned before hand, so save your medallion break if you see Touch of Death popped on you. It will depend on how they fight you, but that's as best as I can offer from an armchair so to speak. You might talk to some actual PvPing monks to get some insight.
"My drg has a fever, and the only cure is more piercer credit." - benjjjamin

User Info: Voodoo_Voldo

Voodoo_Voldo
1 month ago#6
I main Warrior, but have played my own Monk as well in PVP so I have a decent understanding of how to play against them. Sorry for the incoming wall of text.. but you wanted insight, so you got it.

This is the Windwalker "Burst" that they will try and open with Chi wave off the bat as its ranged, into a Touch of Death... Possibly going to use Leg Sweep here to lock you into one spotThey will wait a second, then pop Serenity into a HUGE burst consisting of the Touch of Death damage, 2 Rising Sun Kicks, Strike of the Windlord, and a Fists of Fury towards the end (possibly talented to apply a stun) and maybe a Chi Burst (If talented) before Serenity falls off.... Serenity is a buff they cast that increases there damage by 40%, makes your Chi spenders free to use, and halves the cooldown (Thus the ability to work in multiple RSK's and cutting the cooldowns of everything else down)

They have 3 defensive tools.. One is the already mentioned Touch of Karma.. There is a legendary to make it tremendously better, but it doesn't work in instanced pvp. Also as mentioned they will cast it around half health OR they see you pop offensive cooldowns (I also play a warrior, so I know just how hard it is to not tunnel-vision when Battle Cry is going). Your best bet is try and play keep-away for a bit... Which goes into there other defensive ability(s)... The second is a PVP talent called Fortifying Brew, as well as the choices in the 5th talent row (One of them is Healing Elixir).. and lastly is their mobility, which doubles as a powerful defense as well as a way to sustain offense on other classes.

They have crazy mobility. Unless you are in open world with specific legendaries, you will not be able to outrun them or keep them locked down. When the monk was added to the game, one of their PVP selling points was "If they don't want to be in combat, they won't be..." Passive speed increases, Roll/Torpedo, Sprint talent, Flying Serpent Kick (Talent to make it steerable), Transcendence (Teleport, also gives a small HoT), and the ability to apply there own slow/root severely puts you at a disadvantage as another melee.

So key points here... Don't open up with your burst, or they will immediately pop Karma... Try and fish it out of them with your regular abilities.. Let them pop Karma and try and outlast it... Some monks will go all-or-nothing and use their burst phase WHILE using Touch of Karma to leave you with no way out other than using your own defensive cooldown. Don't forget to hamstring!!.. There are 2 talent choices that vary from warrior to warrior... Those are Rend vs Avatar and Disarm vs Death Sentence.... I like Avatar for the immunity to slows and roots, and Death Sentence for the ranged Executes that double as a Charge if your not rooted... Rend deals great damage, and its a DoT.. so you can still damage the monk as hes running away, and Disarm to cripple him during his own burst phase, which has a 45 second cooldown window which matches the cooldown of Fist of the Windlord and cools down faster than Serenity.

If you are playing as an Orc, I suggest taking the Relentless talent as it stacks with your racial, so stuns are much less effective (Which they have 2 of.. which short cooldowns.)
Gladiator's Resolve must live on!

User Info: Voodoo_Voldo

Voodoo_Voldo
1 month ago#7
One other thing to watch out for (It's a legendary, so you only need to worry about this in the open world) is a legendary called the Emperor's Capacitor that will make their Crackling Jade Lightning hit you very hard (after stacking a buff) if left to channel, try and interrupt it immediately if you see it come out.
Gladiator's Resolve must live on!

InfinityFlame
1 month ago#8
thank you so much. this was very helpful.
  1. Boards
  2. World of Warcraft
  3. Arms Warrior v. Windwalker Monk

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived