Different Ways To Play?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 4
  3. Different Ways To Play?

User Info: KAOS1thebib62

KAOS1thebib62
1 year ago#1
What are the different play through styles for this game? I heard of one where you can't visit the merchant, and can only pickup ammo.... I want a list of all of those different play throughs.
lolblackops lolcallofduty4
lolcallofdutymodernwarfare

User Info: regarding

regarding
1 year ago#2
That's called challenge runs.

Knife-only run
Handgun-only run
Whatever-weapon-you-want-only run
Speed run
Minimum kills
No damage taken
No merchant
No upgrades
No attache case (you're not allowed to open inventory)
I hate signatures.

User Info: KAOS1thebib62

KAOS1thebib62
1 year ago#3
Is there a site that explains the rules?
For example, I want to try the Handgun only run, can you upgrade it at all?
lolblackops lolcallofduty4
lolcallofdutymodernwarfare

User Info: regarding

regarding
1 year ago#4
You can upgrade the handgun, unless you want to combine two challenges (handgun-only and no upgrades, that would be the Unupgraded Handgun Run).

I don't think there's a site for these things, all challenges were made up by players who used to post here or on other forums. I just gave you a list of things that I know some players used to do and talk about in the past, not so much anymore since it's an old game. But you are free to make up your own challenge with your own rules.
I hate signatures.

User Info: dxm8975

dxm8975
1 year ago#5
Apart from what regarding mentioned in his earlier post there are some unique runs popular among the players on a Japanese video sharing website called "Nico Nico douga", as far as I'm aware there are such notably as follows.

---

No death run (without continuing)

No save run (single-segmented run)

No damage run (Beating the scenario without taking any damage)

Speed run (Beat the scenario as quickly as possible)

No merchant run (Beat the scenario without asking to the merchant for buying / selling weapons / treasures)

No attach case run (You can't open the inventory even once during the run)

No backtracking run (Beat the scenario without re-entering to the area you visited once)
Almost screwed-up run (You start the scenario with your health gauge being in red zone or only having 1hp, meaning any attacks by the enemies or snakes in the crates can get yourself killed, which is similar to the Professional mode in Resident Evil 5)

No upgrade run (You have to beat the scenario without upgrading weapons)

Basses-only run (You can use only basses you can pick up in the lake area where you gotta fight against Del Lago in your first visit, or at the very end of chapter 1-2 where you can jump into water before Mendez's house)

No yellow-herb run (You beat the scenario without using any of the yellow herbs that increase your health gauge)

Eggs-only run (You can use only eggs as the healing items)

Knife-only run

Handguns only run

Shotguns only run

Rifles only run

Handcannon only run

Infinite Rocket Launcher only run

"M" weapons run (Beat the scenario using merely those weapons starting with "M" - say "Magnum(Broken Butterfly)," Mine Thrower, and "Machine Pistol (TMP)".

"R" weapons run (The same as the M weapons run but with those firearms whose names starting with R - meaning you can solely use weapons that start with R but Rocket Launcher, those weapons such as "Rifle(BAR)", Riot gun, and Red 9.)

Classical-weapons run (Beat the scenario by using old weapons such as Bottle Action Rifle, Broken Butterfly and Red 9.)

Wesker's weapons run (Beat the scenario solely with the weapons Wesker has in his inventory in the Mercenaries (Standard Handgun, SAR, Killer 7 and three grenades)

No-running run (Beat the scenario without running, literally... :p )

Maximum kill run (Beat the main scenario by killing as many enemies as you can without using infinite enemy spawn glitches (e.g. The gallery in chapter 3-2, plagas in Salazar fight in chapter 4-4))

Minimum kill run (Opposite to the above-mentioned max kill run)

As for the further details I can put the link of the website for you but it's all written in Japanese, so I'm afraid you won't understand that :(
My RE4 Records - Separate Ways : 26:18
Mercenaries - Village : 207700 / Castle : 319470 / Base : 187500 (Ada : 185400) / Water World : 203600 (Ada : 200300)

User Info: BimmyLee

BimmyLee
1 year ago#6

Damn, I'll have to try that one some time! It got me thinking as well: How about extending the challenge a bit and doing it a ''Forbidden Button Run'': Pretend the run button is broken; You won't be able to Run, Reload, or Half-turn. You'll be forced to press the "forbidden-button" for QTEs, but other than that, I think it should be possible.

Anyway. I'll add 3 runs I didn't see mentioned and I'll expand on the minimum-kills (All runs on Pro, NewGame):

- 100% Hit-Ratio: [Rule: You mustn't miss a single shot.] Only weapons that use bullets and shells count towards the hit-ratio stat; all other weapons are "neutral". Use neutral weapons (knife,grenades,mine-thrower,rpg) when you don't want to risk missing shots. Shotguns can be used, but you need to make sure the red dot is reflecting on a target before firing, otherwise it'll count as a miss.
Difficulty: Relatively easy to do with no-damage except for the Novistador-Cavern in 4-2; which is a bit of a nightmare if you don't allow rehealing.

- 0% Hit-Ratio: [Rule: The hit-ratio stat must remain at zero.] Discard the Handgun and don't get any other bullet-based weapon as there is no use for them in this run. Shotguns can only be used if you aim the red-dot away from any targets, so you only hit them with the ''pellet spread''.
Difficulty: Doable with no-damage, but there are very tough sections. Getting the Mine-Thrower in 3-1 makes an enormous difference. Combine it with No-Merchant if you want to make the run much harder.

- Minimum Shots Fired (MSF): [Rule: Only Knife & Grenades are allowed, except for the 2 un-knifeable and un-grenadeable places in the game: (1)The 'Falling-Ceiling' in Ch 4-3, and (2) Salazar in 4-4.]
The MSF needed to beat the game = 2: 1 RPG to the Falling-Ceiling and 1 RPG to Salazar.
If you allow glitches, Salazar is skippable (using Ditman), in which case the MSF needed = 1: A single RPG to the Falling-Ceiling.
Admiralhowdy's MSF FAQ: http://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/535840-resident-evil-4/faqs/42573
Difficulty: Very hard run. You'll probably need to watch vids on how to grenade those seemingly impossible to reach places (eg: liberate Ashley in 3-4; Drawbridge chains in 4-1) May be technically possible with no-damage, but almost undoable in practice.

- Minimum-Kills: [Rule: Beat the game by performing only mandatory kills.]If you allow glitches (mainly Ditman), there are 63 mandatory kills in the game; if you don't allow glitches, there are 71. Flash grenades are the most valuable item, followed by golden-eggs.
List of all mandatory kills in the game (go to posts #55 & #56): http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/535840-resident-evil-4/70799803
Difficulty: Maybe even more difficult than MSF. No-damage is practically out of the question, even if you tediously farm lots of extra blue-grenades (Not-recommended; farming eggs is MUCH quicker). Lots of research on strategies needed.

Other rules that can greatly impact the difficulty of any challenge run you attempt are whether you allow:
- Deaths
- 'Retry from a continue point',
- Typewriter saves, or
- Saves altogether.

User Info: dxm8975

dxm8975
1 year ago#7
BimmyLee posted...

Damn, I'll have to try that one some time! It got me thinking as well: How about extending the challenge a bit and doing it a ''Forbidden Button Run'': Pretend the run button is broken; You won't be able to Run, Reload, or Half-turn. You'll be forced to press the "forbidden-button" for QTEs, but other than that, I think it should be possible.

Either way you HAVE to mash the buttons in those cutscenes with QTRs it's not gonna make much sense I guess.... but would be okay just in case you want to check out the run is done "without the rushing button" being used all the way during your playthrough.

It's been one of "those" unique challenges popular among players in the Japanese gaming community on the website called "Nico Nico douga" and have seen some of them actually giving it a try on Load game, yet either way it's gonna be dauntingly tough in the battles against enemies that move fast, much less on the new game on Pro. :p

- 0% Hit-Ratio: [Rule: The hit-ratio stat must remain at zero.] Discard the Handgun and don't get any other bullet-based weapon as there is no use for them in this run. Shotguns can only be used if you aim the red-dot away from any targets, so you only hit them with the ''pellet spread''.
Difficulty: Doable with no-damage, but there are very tough sections. Getting the Mine-Thrower in 3-1 makes an enormous difference. Combine it with No-Merchant if you want to make the run much harder.

This run on the new game would be extremely tough I guess, especially at the very beginning of the main scenario and in the fights against Krauser in chapter 5-3 because you gotta make him kneel down without aiming with the red-dot sight. Same goes with Salazar for the need of hitting the eye with the red-dot sight placed aside it. (Direct shoots count as the hits for sure.)

And I'm curious to know are the shots at the walls instead of at enemies directly with Mine Thrower counted as hits ?

- Minimum Shots Fired (MSF): [Rule: Only Knife & Grenades are allowed, except for the 2 un-knifeable and un-grenadeable places in the game: (1)The 'Falling-Ceiling' in Ch 4-3, and (2) Salazar in 4-4.]
The MSF needed to beat the game = 2: 1 RPG to the Falling-Ceiling and 1 RPG to Salazar.
If you allow glitches, Salazar is skippable (using Ditman), in which case the MSF needed = 1: A single RPG to the Falling-Ceiling.
Admiralhowdy's MSF FAQ: http://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/535840-resident-evil-4/faqs/42573
Difficulty: Very hard run. You'll probably need to watch vids on how to grenade those seemingly impossible to reach places (eg: liberate Ashley in 3-4; Drawbridge chains in 4-1) May be technically possible with no-damage, but almost undoable in practice.

This was also one of the "challenging runs" mentioned by Nico Nico players but having watched some videos of those runs it seemed like it's practically DOABLE if you skip the enemies as much as possible. Though it's gonna be just a pain in the ass if you actually grind your time on that.
My RE4 Records - Separate Ways : 26:18
Mercenaries - Village : 207700 / Castle : 319470 / Base : 187500 (Ada : 185400) / Water World : 203600 (Ada : 200300)

BimmyLee
1 year ago#8
... it's gonna be dauntingly tough in the battles against enemies that move fast, much less on the new game on Pro. :p

No doubt. It would be a brutal run on NewGame/Pro. I suppose it's doable, but with masochistic restrictions like this, you never know until you try, lol.

This run on the new game would be extremely tough I guess, especially at the very beginning of the main scenario and in the fights against Krauser in chapter 5-3 because you gotta make him kneel down without aiming with the red-dot sight. Same goes with Salazar for the need of hitting the eye with the red-dot sight placed aside it. (Direct shoots count as the hits for sure.)

It's a pretty tough run on NewGame/Pro, but it pales in comparison with other runs (like MSF, MinKills, NoAttacheCase).

- The only weapons you absolutely cannot use on a NewGame ''0% run'' are Bullet weapons (handguns, tmp, rifles, magnums).
- Shell weapons (shotguns) can be used with one condition: you cannot hit a target (an enemy, a box, a spinel, etc.) directly, you must aim the red-dot away from the target and only hit it with the "pellet spread" of the shotgun.
- The weapons you can absolutely use without any restriction are: Knife, Grenades, MineThrower, and RocketLauncher. (And any "environment" weapon like: DelLago's harpoons, explosive barrels, trip-wires, fire-lamps, etc., provided you don't use a bullet or shell to "detonate" them.)

The Village chapters aren't too hard if you use grenades wisely, and the MineThrower is a magnificent ally in preventing the run getting too difficult from 3-1 onwards. There are still very hard places like the Water-Hall or the Novistador-Cavern. Krauser is actually no problem because the easiest way to kill him IMO is using only the Knife and no other weapons, even when I'm playing without restrictions. Salazar, you actually don't need to shoot the eye; you can wait until he opens up his "shell" to reveal himself, and quickly fire an RPG before the "mouth" bites (and kills) you.

And I'm curious to know are the shots at the walls instead of at enemies directly with Mine Thrower counted as hits ?

Actually, the MineThrower and the RocketLaunchers NEVER count as hits or as misses; they have no effect whatsoever on the hit-ratio stat. They behave just like the Knife and Grenades; the game just doesn't register whether you hit or miss when you use them. So for instance, your mine-dart or RPG can hit an enemy directly on the face, or hit a wall, or the floor, or you can fire at the sky; it doesn't make a difference because all the shots are "off the record". Pretty counter-intuitive, I know lol.

This was also one of the "challenging runs" mentioned by Nico Nico players but having watched some videos of those runs it seemed like it's practically DOABLE if you skip the enemies as much as possible. Though it's gonna be just a pain in the ass if you actually grind your time on that.

A MSF run is BRUTAL. I didn't farm grenades like admiralhowdy's FAQ suggested (because I HATE farming grenades and because I wanted to see if it was possible with only "fixed" grenades), so I skipped as many enemies as I could get away with. I don't remember how many times I got hit, but they weren't many. The most annoying parts are those where you need to grenade hard to reach places (like U3's switches); I had to retry many times.

And thanks for mentioning Nico Nico douga! Hadn't heard of that place. I just registered to be able to watch videos ^_^. I'm watching a knife run right now; apparently he beat it while on minimum health at all times. :o I'm very curious.

Sorry for writing so much...

BimmyLee
1 year ago#9
BimmyLee posted...
dxm8975 posted...
... it's gonna be dauntingly tough in the battles against enemies that move fast, much less on the new game on Pro. :p

No doubt. It would be a brutal run on NewGame/Pro. I suppose it's doable, but with masochistic restrictions like this, you never know until you try, lol.

It's doable. I finished that "Forbidden X Run" (X = Run/Reload/180°turn on PS3) two days ago. Awesome run; challenging but not stupidly difficult. Leon looks so badass calmly killing everything around him without breaking a sweat. XD

In case anyone's interested, the rules I decided upon were:
- NewGame/Pro/No-damage.
- Never press X-button (Obligatory exception: QTEs).
- Merchant allowed, but not for FP,FS,RS,Exclusive upgrades, and no re-buying weapons allowed either.

The rules worked really well. Yes, the "limited merchant" rule is cumbersome, but I thought a full no-merchant restriction would've made it borderline undoable, and allowing full merchant help would've made it too easy. No-damage is key in keeping things challenging and interesting, as most areas are a piece of cake if you allow taking damage.

U3 cages and battle were fantastic; my favorite part of the run. The Mike area in 5-4 was the hardest to come up with a no-damage method, but in the end it was more time-consuming than difficult.

User Info: lst_class

lst_class
1 year ago#10
One restriction that I add on to both my regular runs and challenges runs is what I call a "double damage" rule, although properly speaking it is a "half healing power" rule. You are allowed to take hits and use healing items, but you have to *immediately* discard an identical copy of each healing item you use (and if you don't have 2 copies of said item, you can't heal). So you effectively 'consume' 2 green herbs from your inventory to get the effect of 1, and you need to 'consume' 2 GRY herbs to get the effect of 1 GRY, etc.

Granted, it's not as hardcore as no damage, but it was intended to help create run ideas that weren't so demanding that I didn't want to do them twice.

In my experience, the rule could actually use some tweaking to reduce healing a little more. Triple damage feels a bit too much though. Maybe put a cap on how many healing items you are allowed to carry, or come up with separate rules for "full health" items and regular healing items.
  1. Boards
  2. Resident Evil 4
  3. Different Ways To Play?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived