Rifle Run

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: dxm8975

dxm8975
1 year ago#11
wonderingalien posted...
Cherrypoptart posted...
Chapter 3-1:

The first of the dreaded chapters :/..

Water room + Ashley - rifle = hell. I tried not to use grenades. I hate how they flank the crap out of you.

Well, speaking only of the latter part of the area it's rather easy to take out the guys by using only the SAR as the main weapon unless you miss too much of rifle shots and thereby waste too much of the bullets you maintain in the inventory, the hardest part I think is the room where you have to let Ashley stand on one of the yellow panels on the floor to lift up the crank, after you raised up the crank you just have to bump into a huge crowd of zealots, and what makes it worse is that some of the guys over there can sprout their plagas when fired in a close range, as well as you've got like a couple of dozens of zealots, so you have to be extremely careful in dealing with the guys all thronging toward you, and this is just a real pain in the arse especially when you're trying out the rifle-only run on Professional. :-(

As for the section where you have to raise Ashley up on the floor to rotate the crank, I've seen one of the Japanese playing attempting to stun the guys only by using the eggs(the exact same thing was done by spiralout1234321 and you can find out the video on youtube lol), so if you use grenades to stun the crowd you must toss them to the right sections so that Ashley doesn't get killed / blown up in one shot.

BimmyLee posted...
dxm8975 posted...
As for the rifle run I'm not sure about that, but as Bimmy points out it's gonna be way more dismaying than handgun runs in terms of the number of ammos you can take from the random drops, you can hardly get the rifle bullets from the barrels or as a loot from the enemies you did away with as opposed to the handgun bullets you tend to get almost continuously. :p

Yeah, this is unfortunately the case. Sometimes you'd clear an entire area of enemies and break all the random boxes and you'd only get 1 or 2 ammo-boxes, or even no box at all. The solution is farming ammo (breaking a box and reloading the game until it drops rifle-ammo); problem is that it's boring as hell, as it can take 20 or more tries to drop rifle-ammo (sometimes it'd take a lot less though). But as long as Cherry keeps using grenades for the ammo-heavy parts (like the six armored knights) and upgrading the capacity and firepower, I don't think ammo is gonna be a huge issue for him (you're a him, btw, Cherry?).

Thinking about it more, it does seem grenades and upgrading the BAR a bit are practically required for this run. It might be technically doable without grenades & upgrading, but I'm guessing it would be as hardcore as a plain knife run; certainly much harder than a pistol+knife run. The unupgraded BAR is just too garbage in the Castle/Island; not even comparable to the unupgraded SAR.

How's the run going, btw?

Yeah, you can use that trick in order to gather ammos, but as far as I'm aware by having beaten the game a bunch of times it's deadly rare to get multiple number of rifle ammo boxes in a single area from random drops, I'd guess it's not so rare as the mine thrower ammos, but you've got FAR LESS chance to have that many bullets as opposed to hand cannon or shotgun bullets - not to mention about handguns' you can literally get dozens from both the barrels / boxes and as a loot from the ganados.

And concerning the rifles, yeah upgrading the BAR is pretty much a necessity in this rifle-only run in my view too, especially if you're planning to beat the scenario without buying a SAR. Unupgraded BAR is almost of no avail against J.J s and the boss creatures in castle and island.
My RE4 Records - Separate Ways : 26:18
Mercenaries - Village : 207700 / Castle : 319470 / Base : 188400 (Ada : 185700) / Water World : 203600 (Ada : 200300)

User Info: BimmyLee

BimmyLee
1 year ago#12
dxm8975 posted...
Yeah, you can use that trick in order to gather ammos, but as far as I'm aware by having beaten the game a bunch of times it's deadly rare to get multiple number of rifle ammo boxes in a single area from random drops, I'd guess it's not so rare as the mine thrower ammos, but you've got FAR LESS chance to have that many bullets as opposed to hand cannon or shotgun bullets - not to mention about handguns' you can literally get dozens from both the barrels / boxes and as a loot from the ganados.

Well yeah, if you break all random boxes in a given area at once, the probability of all of them giving out rifle ammo is miniscule. But that's not how you farm ammo; you need to break the boxes in a given area one by one until you get rifle ammo from them. It's time consuming, but other than that there's no problem getting rifle ammo from every random box in a given area.

User Info: Cherrypoptart

Cherrypoptart
1 year ago#13
Chapter 3-2:

Fairly uneventful chapter, pretty much ran through it. No shots fired. It was pretty entertaining going through the hedge maze, I had a trail of colmillos following me. I gained a few shots, I'm sitting at 61 bullets now at the start of 3-3. I haven't upgraded anything but the capacity at this point.

dxm8975
1 year ago#14
Cherrypoptart posted...
Chapter 3-2:

Fairly uneventful chapter, pretty much ran through it. No shots fired. It was pretty entertaining going through the hedge maze, I had a trail of colmillos following me. I gained a few shots, I'm sitting at 61 bullets now at the start of 3-3. I haven't upgraded anything but the capacity at this point.

Wow, looks like you're making progress gradually in your rifle run, keep up with the work until you're fine with the strategies / knacks as to how to deal with the enemies. ^_^

For now I think the toughest section in the coming chapters would be at the beginning of chapter 3-4 where you gotta shoot the zealots at a distance from the second floor of the hall in which Ashley is trapped, if you've got a higher in-game difficulty than usual it's quite possible that you're going to run too much out of rifle ammos even though you've got 61 rifle bullets at the end of chapter 3-2 and a few more will be actually coming later(You can get 5 additional rifle bullets from one of the vases in the galley you have to raise up the bridge to go to the other side(the room where you have 2 red zealots beside the lever on Normal / Professional), so I'd guess you have to be careful in order to finish them off with as little amount of rifle bullets as possible, or just upgrade the capacity of your rifle after you're done with the chapter if you really think you want to save as many rifle bullets as possible for Salazar at the end of chapter 4-4 and possibly for the armoured knights in chapter 4-1.

(If you have grenades or flashbangs they'd make it much easier to save your ammos, though if you're planning to use normal grenades you have to be dead cautious to throw grenades after making sure where Ashley is.)

BimmyLee posted...

Well yeah, if you break all random boxes in a given area at once, the probability of all of them giving out rifle ammo is miniscule. But that's not how you farm ammo; you need to break the boxes in a given area one by one until you get rifle ammo from them. It's time consuming, but other than that there's no problem getting rifle ammo from every random box in a given area

Hmm, chances are that if you actually want to farm the rifle ammos with the said method, you better exit the area whenever you break one of the boxes and see there's a rifle ammo-box inside it(when you got stuff other than rifle ammos you restart the game from the latest checkpoint from option menu) - by doing this several times, theoretically you can make rifle ammos appear from ALL of the boxes.... :p Yet I'm not sure whether the percentage of being able to get rifle ammos from the crates lowers in accordance with the number of boxes of rifle ammos you ALREADY have in that area. (Haven't tried with mine thrower ammos but I doubt you've got lower chances of having mine thrower bullets as the random drops from boxes when you already have 1 or more than that in the area)
Mercenaries - Village : 207700 / Castle : 319470 / Base : 188400 (Ada : 185700) / Water World : 203600 (Ada : 200300)

Cherrypoptart
1 year ago#15
I'm probably going to use flash grenades on the Armaduras, since I have already decided to use grenades when needed and have used them. Like you said, I think at this point it is really just saving up the rifle ammo to deal with Salazar at this point. If I can get by that, I think it will be pretty smooth sailing to chapter 5-2. We will see how the bulldozer goes...

dxm8975
1 year ago#16
Cherrypoptart posted...
I'm probably going to use flash grenades on the Armaduras, since I have already decided to use grenades when needed and have used them. Like you said, I think at this point it is really just saving up the rifle ammo to deal with Salazar at this point. If I can get by that, I think it will be pretty smooth sailing to chapter 5-2. We will see how the bulldozer goes...

If you're planning to use just flash bangs in order to save up the rifle ammos for the Salazar fight the only choice you can go for is definitely knifing them until they sprout the plagas from their heads :) I guess it will take many times to get them to sprout the plagas to kill them altogether with a single flash bang, but that would be much better and safer than squandering your ammos on them.

Speaking of chapter 5 after defeating Salazar you'll also have some tough sections such as the container part you have to deal with U-3, Krauser's fight in chapter 5-3 and the military base at the beginning of chapter 5-4(and possibly the card key area you have an alternative "weaker" J.J. ganado as mentioned by Bimmy in other thread), but as you said the hardest one I can come up with at the moment may be the bulldozer section at the end of chapter 5-2... If you don't mind killing ganados unreservedly you can just use your knife / grenades to stun the guys all the way until you reach your destination, but if you're trying to do a minimum kill run there the bulldozer part can drive you nuts pretty easily. :(

Cherrypoptart
11 months ago#17
Haven't played since my last post /: Have been pretty busy at work and with the holidays. Hopefully will get to play some more this weekend.

dxm8975
11 months ago#18
Are you on holidays yet ? ^

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived