Definitive Setups Thread v5!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
  3. Definitive Setups Thread v5!

User Info: XRhinehartX

XRhinehartX
1 year ago#1
So I've heard from multiple people lately that it's time for a new Definitive Setups thread. In searching for links to previous threads, I noticed we actually haven't had one all year, so I think I agree that it's definitely time for one. The purpose of these threads are to let players know what factors they should synthesize to their weapons, and why, as well as what battle skills work well together and why. But this time, I wanna discuss the mechanics of certain factors and builds, which I have done before, but never really made it a focal point of these threads before.

Berserker's Pendant VS Boots of Prowess
Berserker's Pendants give the Raging Anger effect while equipped or synthesized to a weapon. This doubles your ATK in battle at the cost of half your DEF. It won't show up in your characters' status screens or ATK values in your equipment screen, but you can consider the values that show up there to be doubled. So all you need to achieve with Raging Anger is an ATK value of 5000 while stacking Boots of Prowess can stack ATK and DEF up to about 9999 and 5000 respectively. A lot of new players go the max ATK and 5k DEF route, since very few enemies in the game can pierce that defense (none on Galaxy, Freya can on Universe, but the Protection spell can remedy that, and on 4D, you can expect Freya to kill you with Ether Strike even if you Game Shark your way to 9999 DEF), but most players consider this to be a boring strategy and/or only use it for no damage trophies (-raises hand- Guilty.) Overall, I find DEF values to be overrated as 4D mode generally requires you to MP tank. See next section.

MP Tanking
MP tanking is a term used where you effectively regen your health at a 12% rate as opposed to the static values of Standby Healing (which can be boosted with Ring of Healing, but you'll still have a low value in the end, compared to the max HP you're ultimately going to have). But if you use Convert Damage set to Preserve HP, you take damage to your MP instead of your HP. The damage is increased a bit, but that's nothing Increased MP can't solve. Whether you use the support skill on Sophia or Adray or just stack +20% max MP factors from Star Talismans, as long as you have 12% MP recovery, you can effectively regen your health by 12% every few seconds in battle. As long as you can avoid most high damage attacks, you shouldn't have much trouble surviving on any difficulty level (though 4D will still likely hand you your ass on a silver platter as it so often loves to do).

No Guard
Stacking your defense to reduce enemy damage enough that they're not going to interrupt your attacks is one way to use No Guard, but when combined with the aforementioned MP tanking, since enemies aren't dealing damage to your HP (unless you're down to 1 MP), they're not going to interrupt your attacks anyway. Given, this still factors in your effective life pool, so having high DEF is still going to help, but so will having increased MP. Generally, if you're going to use MP tanking and No Guard, you're going to want to build for MP and use your highest DEF equipment. Protection spells help a lot here, too.

Fireworks
Fireworks is a term used for weapons synthesized with effects that launch elemental (or light, which can be argued is non-elemental) balls at your enemies in addition to your normal attacks, which trigger them in the first place. Building for fireworks doesn't require much fury reduction (except in Albel's case!) as you won't be spamming battle skills, so you'll instead want to stack attack decision up to +3. When using elemental balls, keep enemies' elemental resistances in mind. Battle skills that work well with Fireworks are Bug Triad, Radiation Bots, blade enchantments, Albel's short minor and Peppita. Just...Pepppita.
"Listen to this guy, he's got your back." - Ecclesiastes273

User Info: NeoRyujinZ

NeoRyujinZ
1 year ago#2
Personally hope to see some new setups. Playing the game in 4D, I could use some good ones...
Currently playing Exist Archive: The Other Side Of The Sky.
It was well worth the wait. Best game I've played in 2016.

XRhinehartX
1 year ago#3
Parries
Parrying attacks in this game requires you to have higher AGL than your enemies' HIT values, and will turn their attacks back on them. Whatever damage they would typically do to you is what gets reflected back at them (though at a 125 or 150% value [I forget which]) when using a weapon or armor (Damask Plate) that has a "Shoots powerful balls of light when defending" factor on it. Using this strategy is pretty risky as it requires you to have less than 100% fury when you get hit (otherwise you'll just attempt to block and be forced to take the damage if it's a major attack). Parries can block major attacks, leaving you unscathed, and the enemy REALLY hurting. Increased damage to the enemy entails buffing the enemies' attack values with the Gutsy Bunny and/or Enemy ATK+100% & Fol x10 factors. The more damage the enemies are capable of, the more damage they'll end up taking.

Counters
Peppita (her short range normals) and Albel (only his short major) are the only characters that have these. Counters are normal attacks that, when timed with an opponent's attacks, change and become temporarily invincible. It takes a little time to get accustomed to the timing and I really recommend using auto targeting if you're going to play with counters in mind. In Peppita's case, she also deals MP damage in addition to her HP damage. Peppita's minor counter launches enemies allowing you combo opportunities while her major counter lasts longer and does more hits/damage, leaving her invincible for a longer duration. Peppita's counters work really well with fireworks, and you're probably already using fireworks on Albel for his short minor, anyway, so there's that.

Lockdown
Lockdown (also referred to as hitstun in a lot of games) is when you use battle skills that keep an enemy from moving or attacking. Cliff's Sphere of Might and Fists of Fury are prime examples of lockdown, as are spells like Thunder Flare and Explosion. Maria's Energy Burst is another good example of this, and why you'd want to build for max (-4) fury reduction. This one's pretty straight forward, but you will have to do enough damage to an enemy to get past their No Guard threshold to achieve this (except with spells)...which is also pretty straight forward. To achieve this, good party battle skill synergy is required.

Cancel Bonus
To get the most out of cancel bonuses, Berserk and fury reduction come highly recommended. Berserk is a tactical skill achieved through leveling, and you can get fury reduction (for a max of -4) from a fully refined Ring of Animosity (-3), Elven Slippers (-1) or the Victory/Bunny Trophy (-2). Reaching -5 fury use doesn't really matter as the cap really is -4. You can cancel from one battle skill into the next by holding the button for your next skill as early as when your current one starts, then switch back to the other button when that next skill comes out, lather, rinse, repeat. The flowchart is basically an entirely optional minor normal (short or long depends on whether or not you're using FAM), minor battle skill, major battle skill, minor, major, repeat 'til you're out of fury, unless you want to conserve fury for blocking.

OTG (Off the Ground)
This is a term that comes from fighting games, but it very much applies in Star Ocean 3 as well. It refers to an attack that picks enemies up off the ground and allows you to continue attacking or comboing them. Although the only OTGs I currently know of are Blade of Fury, Peppita's Charge and Kaboom, and maybe Albel's Double Slash, I'm sure there are more people should point out to me.

XRhinehartX
1 year ago#4
Juggling
Juggling requires extreme micromanagement of your team, but allows for combos that basically turn enemies into tennis balls. It's much easier to achieve with Fully Active Mode (though not necessarily required) unlocked and in use as you can use Fayt's short major juggle much more easily after things like Peppita's Kaboom or Mirage or Maria's Triple Kick. Certain battle skills allow enemies to be juggled for as long as your character's fury holds out, but that's more of a solo thing. Examples of those are Cliff's Uppercut (use it on short major, then mash the button and you'll see what I mean), Mirage's Blazing Cannon, and to a lesser extent, Albel's Double Slash of Fury.

Stun/Drain
The benefits of the Stun or Drain passive battle skills are without measure. Especially for Albel's short minor. Since you're spamming a minor battle skill with him (and assuming you're using fireworks to get the most you can out of the damage), Stun is a huge boost as stunned enemies will take double damage from the next attack that hits them. Maxing Albel's Stun is something you should absolutely do. Drain's good, too, if you want to have your allies just go to town with ridiculously OP combos (such as Fists of Fury to Fists of Fury, Air Raid to Air Raid, Fairy Friend to Fairy Friend, etc, basically anything you normally wouldn't want on short minor in case it gets blocked. Drain will attack the enemy's fury gauge, lowering it whenever it triggers, which will effectively keep the target from blocking any attacks.

Loot Item
Loot Item can only apply to enemies who are knocked down. If you're good, you can use OTGs such as Peppita's Charge to launch the enemy back into the air and apply someone else's Loot Item chance to trigger. Nel's Whirlwind can extend the application of this skill if it's up when the attack Loot Item's set to hits the enemy. Fayt's short major and Cliff's short minor juggle are also good. Increased attack decision does not increase this chance, but it may help you gain mastery points for it.

Also...
Sorry post #3 took me four hours, but distractions and dinner occurred and I almost forgot about it. Oops. Actual builds are coming up soon, I just wanted to get all the mechanics out of the way first and foremost.

User Info: Mad_Cartoonist

Mad_Cartoonist
1 year ago#5
All these many mechanics, and some people still don't understand what I meant when I said SO5 stripped SO3's battle mechanics down to the bones...
President of the Sophia Esteed Eternal FanClub. Members: 38
"YOU WILL LISTEN TO MY PLOT ADVANCING LECTURE! GOT IT!?" - Noire

NeoRyujinZ
1 year ago#6
The counters would had been a sick addition to the gameplay, if the devs hadn't f***ed up with Super Armoring the hell out of bosses! ...And making about 90% of the bosses in the game immune to Stun.

But SO5 is still playable; just repeat what you did in SO4 and you'll be fine :)
Have you accepted Sophia Esteed as your Mistress and Savior? She sacrificed her own DEF so you could be saved from SO3 bosses, with the Thunder Flare Godlock.

NeoRyujinZ
1 year ago#7
XRhinehartX posted...
Battle skills that work well with Fireworks are Bug Triad, Radiation Bots, blade enchantments, Albel's short minor and Peppita.

With the skill in bold, I think the basic idea is to abuse Roger's normal attacks while it's active. End the Cancel Bonus with major, and you can assault the unfortunate target with lots of Fireworks + guard-breaking "Bug" attacks.

One thing about Albel and OTG: apparently you can OTG an enemy with his short minor after launching it with long major. While powerleveling with the Porcupines, I was able to OTG some of them with this. I'm not 100% sure this is consistent enough for more use, but it's something.
Have you accepted Sophia Esteed as your Mistress and Savior? She sacrificed her own DEF so you could be saved from SO3 bosses, with the Thunder Flare Godlock.

XRhinehartX
1 year ago#8
NeoRyujinZ posted...
The counters would had been a sick addition to the gameplay, if the devs hadn't f***ed up with Super Armoring the hell out of bosses! ...And making about 90% of the bosses in the game immune to Stun.

But SO5 is still playable; just repeat what you did in SO4 and you'll be fine :)

Yeesh. Super armored bosses sounds like a huge pain in the ass.

With the skill in bold, I think the basic idea is to abuse Roger's normal attacks while it's active. End the Cancel Bonus with major, and you can assault the unfortunate target with lots of Fireworks + guard-breaking "Bug" attacks.

One thing about Albel and OTG: apparently you can OTG an enemy with his short minor after launching it with long major. While powerleveling with the Porcupines, I was able to OTG some of them with this. I'm not 100% sure this is consistent enough for more use, but it's something.

Yeah, with Roger's Bug Triad active, I usually use a fireworks weapon and his short major 'cuz of all its hits.

Come to think of it, I think I've done that, too. Albel's very close short minor does seem to hit enemies while they're downed. Thanks for pointing that out.

XRhinehartX
1 year ago#9
Sphere 211 Weapons
The benefit of these weapons is that most of them (-coughDragoonLasercough-) have a base ATK value of at least 2k, so achieving 5k ATK is pretty easy to do. Once you level enough to reach 1k base ATK without even having a weapon equipped, all it takes is a Tri-Emblem.

+1000 ATK
-3 Fury use
Raging Anger
6% MP recovery
6% MP recovery (can be replaced with another factor if the character the weapon is intended for is using the Victory Trophy [Maria recommended])
+20 enemy fury reduction when guard broken/No HP damage 30%/+20% max MP
+20% max MP
+20% max MP

Maze of Tribulations Weapons
Most of these weapons only need one Boots of Prowess and Berserker's Pendant to achieve max ATK, so you won't have quite as many free factor slots as you will with Sphere 211 ones, but they'll certainly last you a while, depending on how you build them.

+### (it varies) ATK
+30% ATK/DEF
Raging Anger
-3 Fury use
6% MP recovery
6% MP recovery
+20% Max MP
+20% max MP or whatever you want

Character Specific Weapons
This section is largely for Maria, Adray, Sophia and Peppita. I'mma start with Maria, because her synthesis recipes are pretty much the same as the aforementioned ones.

Dragoon Laser/Shadow Phase Gun
+#### ATK
-3 fury use
Raging Anger
6% MP recovery
+20% max MP
+20% max MP
+20% max MP
+20% max MP (+30% ATK/DEF if it's her Shadow Phase Gun)

The reason I stacked so many MP factors and not much else is because she won't require many defensive factors because of her attack range. Maria also has the highest MP pool of the cast, and you can further increase that with Magi+ Berries if you want her to have them (just don't use them 'til level 255, same goes for Health+ Berries, since they're both percentage based). Give her your Valkyrie Garb and suddenly she'll have more than double her base MP. I only included one 6% MP recovery factor on this weapon 'cuz she'll be using your Victory/Bunny Trophy at all times for max fury reduction, another 6% MP recovery and freeze chance for random encounters.

Mage Weapons
Adray's Biter and Sophia's Adept's Staff are recommended for these builds as they have the highest INT values of any weapon with no unnecessary factors on them.

-3 fury use
+6% MP recovery
+6% MP recovery
+1000 INT
+1000 INT
+1000 INT
+1000 INT
+30% INT

Equip an elemental ring of your choice and a fully refined Bangle of Intellect for max (or damn near it, depending on Sophia's level) INT and you're pretty much set for high damage and stunlocking. But if all you want is stunlocking and utility, this next setup's real good for Adray if you go caster with him (or want to get quick heals with Sophia).

-3 fury use
6% MP recovery
6% MP recovery
1/2 casting time
+20 enemy fury reduction on guard break
+20% max MP
+20% max MP
+20% max MP

User Info: Quasher

Quasher
1 year ago#10
How do certain enemies "No Guard threshold" work? Is it like our allies where any non-INT damage that doesn't get above a certain point is always shrugged off w/o hitstun/juggle/downing?
cats are OK - purrr
dogs are OK - wooof
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
  3. Definitive Setups Thread v5!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived