Definitive Setups Thread v5!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
  3. Definitive Setups Thread v5!

User Info: XRhinehartX

XRhinehartX
1 year ago#11
Quasher posted...
How do certain enemies "No Guard threshold" work? Is it like our allies where any non-INT damage that doesn't get above a certain point is always shrugged off w/o hitstun/juggle/downing?

I don't know the specifics, but I do know it has to do with how much damage you dish out when it comes to physical attacks. Wish I knew what determined the rate of success with launchers performed on enemies, though I know battle skills that are specifically designed to launch will always launch. Normal attack launchers, though...not so much.

Anyhow, sorry I've been so slow about this. I wound up taking a nap after the previous post, but I was about to get to the Peppita section, so yay, it's gonna be a page 2 kinda deal, I guess.

Peppita Power
Before I go into Peppita specific builds here, I'm gonna talk a bit about what makes Peppita so awesome. I mentioned her counters already in the mechanics section on the previous page, but here I get to talk about Power Dance and other stuff. Power Dance doubles the ATK of any and all allies standing in its area of effect...at level 1. At max level, it triples it. While I don't think it benefits from cancel bonuses, it's good to have on long minor with long major Instanto Blast. Dances also have invincibility frames on startup, so you can use them at close range (where the action generally is) and quickly cancel into a short major battle skill. If you don't have Faerie Friend or Dream Hammer yet, I'd recommend Charge for that. But getting back to her counters, I will say that they're perfect for fireworks. She technically has six normal attacks. Two long ranged attacks, four short range attacks, two of which are counters. When using her counters, it's ideal to use auto targeting instead of manual so she'll automatically attack whatever's closest to her (which is most likely what's attacking her when you want to do her counters). The timing varies depending on the enemy, and can take a little time to get used to. Minors are hard to react to, since they come out fast and don't have an afterimage, but look for the afterimage on major attacks (which tend to have slower startups) and you'll get the hang of it. The game knows how good fireworks are with Peppita and give her best weapons factors you'd want on a fireworks weapon, like +1 (can be refined to +2) attack decision, emits balls of fire when attacking (Efreet Cape) or emits balls of light when attacking (Angelic Cape). On a side note, Faerie Friend is the highest damaging battle skill you can learn through leveling (in terms of single use, not counting the ridonkulous DPS of Maria's point blank Scatter Beam chains). It's like Energy Burst or Ethereal Blast, 'cep' you don't have to use an item to learn it. When used in tandem with those skills, however...you're gonna see lots of big numbers filling up the screen. But in light of all this Peppita talk and fireworks, I'm going to have to do an Advanced Fireworks section here now.

Advanced Fireworks
Characters who benefit from fireworks and don't have battle skills like Bug Triad or Radiation Bots to support them can EASILY achieve max ATK at the cost of double or tripled fury consumption. With Berserk, you might have enough fury to cast a blade enchantment on Fayt, but Peppita doesn't really need that to benefit. So if you've been holding off on leveling Peppita 'til the postgame (as I often do, despite how much I love using her), you can probably make the Ring of Might (requires Chilico). The Ring of Might doubles or triples your ATK and the fury cost of your attacks, but it's good for normals and if you're using a fireworks weapon (even if it's just a Laser Weapon), you can easily achieve max ATK, provided you already have a Tri-Emblem or Imposing Scroll (which is much easier to obtain [clear the S rank solo battle in Gemity]).
"Listen to this guy, he's got your back." - Ecclesiastes273

XRhinehartX
1 year ago#12
Advanced Laser Weapons
For the following builds, you can really use anything you want that has no factors set on it by default, but I prefer Laser Weapons for their versatility (the fact that you can equip them on anyone).

Fireworks Laser Weapon
Shoots powerful/Emits balls of light when attacking
Shoots powerful/Emits balls of fire when attacking
Shoots powerful balls of wind when attacking (if using Emits, replace this factor with the one of your choice)
Shoots powerful balls of ice when attacking (if using Emits, replace this factor with the one of your choice)
+2 attack decision
Raging Anger
6% MP recovery
6% MP recovery

Just remember to use a Ring of Might and Tri-Emblem with this setup and you'll be fine. The Ring of Might will need to be refined to x3 ATK/fury use, but if/when you have 1k base ATK, a 2x ATK/fury use Ring of Might will be highly preferable.

Double EXP Weapon (Disc 1 Edition)
Pulse Needle recommended, but since Fayt, Cliff and Maria will always be in your party since the Crossel incident, I recommend using one of their Airyglyph weapons or the Pulse Needle.

+20% EXP acquisition
+20% EXP acquisition
+20% EXP acquisition
+20% EXP acquisition
+20% EXP acquisition
Nulls water-based damage
Fill up the last two slots with whatever you like. The +30% ATK factor from Bangle of Accuracy is good.

Double EXP Laser Weapon (Disc 2 Edition)
You can synthesize your disc 1 double EXP weapon to a Laser Weapon (which you can find as early as Moonbase, if you're thorough), but I recommend only synthesizing the first five factors. Stop after the fifth success to achieve this build later (Chilico later).

+20% EXP acquisition
+20% EXP acquisition
+20% EXP acquisition
+20% EXP acquisition
+20% EXP acquisition
Raging Anger
6% MP recovery
6% MP recovery

Status Ailment Laser Weapon
I recommend two of these if you wanna make grinding to level 255 real easy.

Chaos (optional, but nice if you're not planning to use the Helm of the Dark Eye, otherwise +20% max MP)
Freeze
Paralysis
-3 fury use
Raging Anger
+30% ATK/DEF
6% MP recovery
6% MP recovery

User Info: Forced_Fruition

Forced_Fruition
1 year ago#13
Not sure if my vampire Sophia build would count for this since it's around 4k intelligence, it is nearly immortal on Universe (insofar as I've taken it up Sphere anyway.) with almost 2300 avoid however. Unfortunately the AI can't comprehend this build so you have to do it yourself.

Up until at least a few bosses in, and I forget the last one I killed on this run, nothing has hit her. Anyone know the actual Avoid needed to parry almost everything in Sphere? I can technically boost it more but I don't want to.
PSN: Cannan216
3DS FC: 5387 - 0266 - 3798

XRhinehartX
1 year ago#14
And if anyone wants to try a theoretical/experimental build I just came up with right off the top of my head and has Nel or Roger handy, I just did a little digging to see if any weapons had AGL values, and apparently two do. Nel's Raunzel Daggers and Roger's Ranger's Helm. If you wanna spend all your Agility+ Berries on either one of them, that'd help a lot, but basically you're gonna have to do one of the two following things. This build will not be attack oriented, so don't expect to do damage directly. It'll all come from parries. Slap the following factors on one of those weapons.

+10% AGL increase & 2% movement rate/Shoots powerful balls of light when attacking (if Nel)
+10% AGL increase & 2% movement rate

And equip the Damask Plate (Roger only), two Rabbit's Foot accessories, and bring along a party member (ideally a dead one, you'll want this to be a solo battle) with one or two (if you really wanna go nuts) Enemy ATK+100% & fol x10 and a Gutsy Bunny equipped. Make sure you're not using Berserk or Max Fury, though. You really won't want it to recover.

Forced_Fruition posted...
Not sure if my vampire Sophia build would count for this since it's around 4k intelligence, it is nearly immortal on Universe (insofar as I've taken it up Sphere anyway.) with almost 2300 avoid however. Unfortunately the AI can't comprehend this build so you have to do it yourself.

Up until at least a few bosses in, and I forget the last one I killed on this run, nothing has hit her. Anyone know the actual Avoid needed to parry almost everything in Sphere? I can technically boost it more but I don't want to.

O.o A parry vampire Sophia build? Please elaborate. I want to try this. I love vampire Sophia, but I usually go max INT.
(message deleted)

User Info: Forced_Fruition

Forced_Fruition
1 year ago#16
I have elaborated before when it was still conceptual. I have taken it through about half of Sphere 211 in Universe so far but still need to finish the post game to see if i remains as effective all the way through.

Its pretty close to to the build you just mentioned but it's probably one of my favorite builds for Sophia.

Note that the following is just what I have on at the moment and it's still in need of some slight refinement after I see what the actual amount of avoid necessary is. For all I know I might not even need as much as I have but I'll probably need a little more near the top of Sphere, it just remains to be seen.

I'll list the whole thing and the logic behind it, you really need to check this out for yourself on day its pretty effective despite not maxing out her int. It needs manual control so you can have her face the correct direction and the AI hate BS anyway.

All Agility Berries, All Intellect Berries, All HP/MP Berries.

Short Minor: Blood Scylla (I determined a 125% cancel works better than a raw Major BS)
Long Minor: Fire Bolt
Short Major: N/A
Long Major: Fire Bolt

Support 1: First Aid cause why not?
Support 2: Increase MP / Quick Symbol (if menu casting buff spells) She actually doesn't need the extra MP since all her Regen comes from Blood Scylla and not factors but it does result in an extra 10,000 MP so its down to taste on this skill.

The Fire Bolts at long Range are mostly for when the enemy decides to walk away from you in frustration which they are prone to do allowing some pretty good damage after you get it to level 10.

The bolts also don't all hit at the same time so you can get a partial stun lock going if you wanted to.

anyway equipment at the moment

Rod of the Evil Eye it looks better than Adepts staff and trading 20 int for 150 attack is a good thing in this build
Shoots powerful balls of Light when defending isn't strictly needed but I like it. if I need a little more Avoid this is what goes first
10% increase in INT/AGL x7 (Eldritch Brooch)

Wizard's Robe 80 AGL to Seraphic Garbs 45 the points is to almost never get hit.

Tri-Emblem x2 This is for giving you INT to increase with those weapon factors. Has additional defensive utility

at 255 my stats are (with Increase MP)

HP: 44747
MP: 30476
ATK: 3558
DEF: 497 (lol)
AGL: 2288 (can go higher by sacrificing int or light balls)
HIT: 1548
INT: 4233

Berserk on
Ring Wave
I rarely actually get a chance to trigger this but its not for damage so much as getting me time to change facing when necessary, since you can't parry from behind
Convert Damage Preserve HP if you have Increase MP support skill on. otherwise its off
Cure Condition On just in case

The cool thing is you can still parry mid Blood Scylla eliminating all that recovery time and still shooting some Light Balls.

The only thing you need to worry about is something that can 1hko you that you failed to stare in the eye. Now As I get to the top floors I'll find out if I need that Light Ball factor or more INT/AGL. Most of the damage from the Light Balls is extra anyway.

On Universe at least her damage is still good enough between canceling into BS and Fire Bolt chains that the lower INT won't hurt you. Sometimes albeit rarely the Fire Bolts can push something close enough to get a bigger cancel bonus on Blood Scylla
PSN: Cannan216
3DS FC: 5387 - 0266 - 3798

User Info: KainWind

KainWind
1 year ago#17
I've always wanted to try a good fireworks setup, but I've never gone through with it.
http://i.imgtc.com/KnpYdbNc.gif http://i.imgtc.com/WEkU41Yb.gif
http://i.imgtc.com/KRCKWskO.gif http://i.imgtc.com/jccgiB1G.gif

User Info: vicil

vicil
1 year ago#18
So, I won't offer anything new for synth weapons, but here's a team setup.

Mirage: Attack with all your might!
Short X: Crescent Locust
Short O: Crescent Locust
Passive1: No Guard
Passive2: Max Fury / Common Support Symbols
Berserk: On
Convert Damage: Preserve HP

Maria: Attack with all your might!
Short X: Scatter Beam
Long X: Crescent Locust
Passive1: Max Fury
Passive2: Common Support Symbols

Sophia: Attack in a well balanced manner! (Player Controlled)
Long X: Thunder Flare / Explosion
Long O: Thunder Flare / Explosion
Passive1: Critical Hit HP
Passive2: Quick Symbol (or nothing)

With MP boosting + regenerating weapons and enough buffs for offense, this is an effective boss-killer setup most of the time. It works on all the top-tier bosses, and nearly all enemies, even some who absorb elemental damage, but have low stagger resistance, like Robin Wind. The idea is to trap an enemy between a falling state and a standing-stagger state. Crescent Locust will normally knock down enemies, but Sophia's magic will keep them on their feet while in the air, simultaneously breaking their guard. While enemies are in the air, they can't take action, so as long as you have fury, you can trap even the toughest enemies for long periods of time.

Maria's AI needs some special incentive to get close, that's why Crescent Locust is on Long X. You can take off CSS to swap SB for another CL.
The mini pizzas / My favourite dish, any time / Share one? Tough request.

User Info: Mad_Cartoonist

Mad_Cartoonist
1 year ago#19
vicil posted...
Maria: Attack with all your might!
Short X: Scatter Beam
Long X: Crescent Locust
Passive1: Max Fury
Passive2: Common Support Symbols

...Maria's AI needs some special incentive to get close, that's why Crescent Locust is on Long X. You can take off CSS to swap SB for another CL.

A few problems I see here. First of all, depending on versions, NTSC Maria will NOT cancel out of Scatter Beams at short range, making AI point-blank SB setup for Maria less desirable for damage.
You can probably try Crescent Locus > Scatter Beams, but I'm not really sure how well AI can handle that since CL will launch, and gives a high chance of SB not hitting all the marks.

CL > CL definitely is the way to go if you really want CL somewhere in there.

Furthermore, unlike SO4 and SO5, AIs in SO3 does not have an innate ability to move away from target into Long Range to trigger Long Range skills. As such, as long as you don't have Long Range battle skills on her, Maria will most likely run into close-range most of the time.

vicil posted...
Sophia: Attack in a well balanced manner! (Player Controlled)
Long X: Thunder Flare / Explosion
Long O: Thunder Flare / Explosion
Passive1: Critical Hit HP
Passive2: Quick Symbol (or nothing)

Critical Hit HP is useless for Sophia, because CHHP does not trigger for symbologies.
It's a whole different story if you are running a melee build for her, obviously.

Also, I know you said she's under player control, but if you want her to use Battle Skills, her AI Tactic should be "Concentrate on Healing".
It's weird, yes, but this tactic prioritizes Battle Skill casting.

"Act in a well balanced manner" is a mixed bag of tactics that make Sophia prioritizes menu-casting Buffs and Offensive Skills, and not exactly ideal if you want her to constantly cast Thunder Flare or Explosion.

Personally, I don't want my Sophia to do anything other than constantly blast TF and Explosion, so I turn off all of her menu spells, and swap Quick Symbol for Increase MP.

The overall synergy of your tactic should work.
Mirage seems perfectly fine, so she'd work well under AI in that setup.
That leaves you the choice between Sophia and Maria.

What I really like to do was set Sophia at the corner and start her skill, then switch to another character to maximize damage, occasionally swapping back to Sophia to restart her chain once her Fury runs out.
So in this case, Maria would be your DPSer. Since she's under your control, SB > SB is more preferable if you want pure damage. But if you detest that skill for being disgustingly OP, you can also try Pulse Blast.
Pulse Blast works very well for Long-Range Maria AI, and its DPS isn't too shabby either.
But if you want enemies to constantly get juggled, CL > CL should also be pretty fun.
President of the Sophia Esteed Eternal FanClub. Members: 38
"YOU WILL LISTEN TO MY PLOT ADVANCING LECTURE! GOT IT!?" - Noire

User Info: vicil

vicil
1 year ago#20
Mad_Cartoonist posted...

These are all good ideas. I knew there was a lot left to optimise, and I completely forgot about Increase MP.
The mini pizzas / My favourite dish, any time / Share one? Tough request.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
  3. Definitive Setups Thread v5!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived