So why did they end it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Matrix Online
  3. So why did they end it?

User Info: -lork

-lork
8 years ago#1
I was just reading through loads of wikipedia articles and I was thinking about getting this game because it sounded good until I saw they stopped it a few days ago. Why did they do it?
WE'RE ALL GOING ON A EUROPEAN TOUR, A EUROPEAN TOUR, A EUROPEAN TOUR

User Info: kou urake

kou urake
8 years ago#2
No official reason was given, to my knowledge. However, MXO always had a *very* small subscriber count. I suppose it just wasn't profitable to keep the game running. I'm sorry that you weren't able to play... it was an amazing, amazing game.
Wait a minute. He wasn't lying! This isn't even a polygraph. Its a seismograph. We've been having an EARTHQUAKE.

User Info: atari2600dude

atari2600dude
8 years ago#3
if it's loss of profits why didn't they use in-game billboards. i'm sure there companies out there willing to show there product. maybe SOE thought economy was getting to bad to consider in- game ads.

kou urake
8 years ago#4
They had in game ads for years. They took them out in Rarebit's final patch - I hadn't seen one actually used in over a year by that point. I assume *that* wasn't profitable either.
Wait a minute. He wasn't lying! This isn't even a polygraph. Its a seismograph. We've been having an EARTHQUAKE.

User Info: atari2600dude

atari2600dude
8 years ago#5
i thought companies paid SOE to advertise in-game guess not don't know much about advertising.

User Info: Bedman

Bedman
8 years ago#6
They probably couldn't charge enough to make it worthwhile, considering how small the game's playerbase was at that point.
Bedman: Mattress of the Universe

kou urake
8 years ago#7
Exactly. We were a small audience... wasn't worth the investment. And I'm not sure if what was invested was made back... I for one didn't rush out to buy Underarmour after Blue Sky.

User Info: Bedman

Bedman
8 years ago#8
Hey, I at least thought about buying Underarmour after seeing all those ads.
Bedman: Mattress of the Universe

User Info: ganon445

ganon445
8 years ago#9
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]

User Info: ganon445

ganon445
8 years ago#10
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
  1. Boards
  2. The Matrix Online
  3. So why did they end it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived