Geryon always stood out to me for some reason. I loved everything about it.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Doom
  3. Geryon always stood out to me for some reason. I loved everything about it.

User Info: Tmk

Tmk
6 years ago#11
What about the first PS1 Doom?
I am snazzier, hot, hot rant. Warily slight as.
Over an evil. A cherished vehemency ovation ::)

User Info: gearratio

gearratio
6 years ago#12
Out of 68 levels, PSX Doom has 51 of the levels. 8 of them are "unique" to the PSX/Saturn versions. Of these 8, one of them replaces the original Hell Keep (same name).

I'd say 51/68 in PSX Doom is a lot better than 30/85 in PSX Final Doom. What's worse is that there are no secret levels, no PSX-exclusive levels and not a whole lot of new stuff to offer. Perhaps a few new tracks here and there. It's almost like they took PSX Doom, recolored some stuff, changed some words, used new (but lesser) levels, put a few different tracks and took away certain things.

It seems they took the animated firey title screen intro from PSX Doom, pasted a giant Metal cover (saying Final Doom) over that. BOOM, an intro for the game.

The game lacks the Spider Mastermind, even though he appears in the monster list at the end (because they took this sequence from PSX Doom, as well). A lot of items are pretty rare.

Although the omission of the accompanying voice to the end text was a good move, they could have replaced it with something else(like a better narrator?).

Framerate is often undesirable in this game, so why bother? And what's with the uncharacteristic graphical change to the Super Shotgun? Sure, it looks a little bit nicer, but it just sticks out.

PSX Mouse support? Really? I honestly did not know about such a device until I read about this version; and why bother?

Again, a multi-disc release would have been at least forgiveable.

It's good for a run or two. Afterwards, it's like, "Hey. I (can) have this on PC with over twice as many levels, among other things."
Stupid tire! Ya friggin' tire! You think you're better than me?! I'll kick your ass!
"spokesperson of Contra's fans, customers, and developers"

Tmk
6 years ago#13
I don't like playing games on the PC though. :|

gearratio
6 years ago#14
Everybody's got their preference, I guess...

Well, you gotta face it: PSX Final Doom kinda sucks.
Stupid tire! Ya friggin' tire! You think you're better than me?! I'll kick your ass!

Tmk
6 years ago#15
I didn't find any fault with it when I played it. Except that it didn't have as many levels as the first one. Otherwise I was pretty happy with it. Well, no second exits to secret levels was a bummer, especially since that one level has a visible second exit I never figured out how to get to that drove me crazy. Similar problem in the first game with Dead Simple, as the all-map cheat thing clearly shows a hidden second exit, with no way to get to it that I'm aware of. e_e

As someone who found all but one of the second exits on my own in the first PS1 Doom, that stuff drove me nuts.

User Info: Lilisphere

Lilisphere
6 years ago#16
Well this also has far fewer monsters in the levels it does include.

Tmk
6 years ago#17
So it's easier? Laaaame. >:|

gearratio
6 years ago#18
They pretty much took PSX Doom and downgraded it almost every way wherever changes were applicable:

-Lesser levels
-Lack of Spider Mastermind
-Fewer tracks
-No end-text voice (at least a better one would be nice)

User Info: MEGAMUR

MEGAMUR
6 years ago#19
Similar problem in the first game with Dead Simple, as the all-map cheat thing clearly shows a hidden second exit, with no way to get to it that I'm aware of. e_e

I can't speak specifically for the PSX version, but in the original PC version, that second exit is only accessible in Deathmatch mode.

And while it's unfortunate that the PSX Final DOOM has so many fewer levels than its PC counterpart (or counterparts, really, since The Master Levels was merged into the PSX version of Final DOOM), I still think the actual levels were really good, and it's nice to be able to play The Master Levels in a sequential order, instead of being forced to play them one-by-one as on the PC.

And, frankly, I rather liked the new super shotgun sprite.
DOOM 3 - Winners Don't Use Duct Tape

User Info: Recoome_is_god

Recoome_is_god
6 years ago#20

I can't speak specifically for the PSX version, but in the original PC version, that second exit is only accessible in Deathmatch mode.

Same for the PSX version. Like the PC version, there is a DM start inside.

Also, I too prefer the new SSG sprite. Looks less... plastic.
The noblest of all dogs is the hot dog: it feeds the hand that bites it.
DOOMBEARS - The Teddy Bears' Picnic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIgyt27oR8s
  1. Boards
  2. Final Doom
  3. Geryon always stood out to me for some reason. I loved everything about it.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived