What has the biggest influence on damage dealt?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Destiny of an Emperor
  3. What has the biggest influence on damage dealt?

User Info: kawaiifan

kawaiifan
8 years ago#11
*offers cookies* OO<(^.^<)
kawaiifan, happy to be back on her old account ^.^

kawaiifan
8 years ago#12
*worries* ^.^;;

kawaiifan
8 years ago#13
*worries more* ^.^;;

User Info: Binta

Binta
8 years ago#14
It's okay, this topic wasn't anything spectacular, just a simple question.
"If drumsticks are for playing drums, you'd think breadsticks would be for playing bread, wouldn't you?" ~George Carlin

kawaiifan
8 years ago#15
Hi Binta *waves hello* ^.^/
and thank you for telling me.
I'll let this one fall to the archive the next time it's in the purge zone, and perhaps copy-and-paste it (minus my saves, of course) into one of our active topics.

User Info: MeteorStrike

MeteorStrike
8 years ago#16
Sorry, can't let this purge just yet. You guys got me interested in this and now I am tracing the attack algorithm to figure out the formula...

MeteorStrike
8 years ago#17
Well, I got a chance to work on this on Friday night and again last night for a while, and darn, I found 2 very interesting little facts about how the attack formula works.

I am not done completely figuring out the algorithm, as I got 6 more chunks of code to analyze, but for the most part, I got the actual algorithm figured out. The rest of the code I got to analyze is mostly special-cases.

In any case, I just wanted to mention the 2 discoveries I've made about the algorithm that I personally found quite interesting, in the sense that I never expected these things to be in the algorithm:

1. The attack power of the weapons that you see is NOT the real attack power of the weapon. The real attack power of each weapon is stored elsewhere, and does not even match the displayed attack power of the weapon that you see in the General's stats screen.

2. Each weapon has a "required STR" and "required INT" attribute. If the attacker's STR and INT do not match this requirement for that weapon, the damage is halved of what it could be. If either the STR matches the STR requirement OR the INT matches the INT requirement, then damage is normal. I didn't bother looking through these too much, but it looks like most weapons do not have a requirement ( required = 0 for both attributes ) I would assume at this point that only the special weapons have a requirement... I'll retrieve this data after I got the algorithm done...

As far as the question asked here goes, the damage does indeed work in powers of 10 for the HP and it combines together to form a compounded STR in the following manner:

Compounded STR = ( Unit's STR ) x ( Unit's Current Soldiers number of digits ) ^ 2

So for example, Zhang Fei has 250 STR ( if I remember correctly ). So his compounded STR is:

When his Current Soldiers = 1 - 9 = 250 * 1 ^ 2 = 250
When his Current Soldiers = 10 - 99 = 250 * 2 ^ 2 = 1000
When his Current Soldiers = 100 - 999 = 250 * 3 ^ 2 = 2250
When his Current Soldiers = 1000 - 9999 = 250 * 4 ^ 2 = 4000
When his Current Soldiers = 10000 - 99999 = 250 * 5 ^ 2 = 6250

So, as it has been observed, when jumping from the 10s to the 100s and again to the 1000s, the compounded strength approximately doubles. When it jumps to the 10000s range, though, the increase is less pronounced, but by then your weapons will be pretty good and would compensate alot for this.

I'll post the details when I'm done... but I thought I would post this for now...

MeteorStrike
8 years ago#18
OK, I finished the damage formula. I still got some more data to pull, though, so I won't be posting the algorithm yet. I need:

1. There are some flags and values used that I am not sure what they are. I am playing the game from beginning to end until I run into those, so I can figure out what they're for. I already figured one such flag, which is the flag that represents the tactic which reduces the enemy group's defense power.

2. I need to extract the values for the real weapon attack powers, the weapons' required INT and STR values, and some other such values used in the algorithm.

3. I want to test the algorithm with some battles on my own to verify the correctness of the algorithm when I am done with everything else.

So, what I got left to do is relatively easy, but it's gonna take some time... I can't work on this much more for the remainder of this week so I prob won't have results until next week...

User Info: Binta

Binta
8 years ago#19
Whoa...I didn't know about weapons having those unseen stats. What about armor?
"If drumsticks are for playing drums, you'd think breadsticks would be for playing bread, wouldn't you?" ~George Carlin

MeteorStrike
8 years ago#20
Armor has no special info, and the actual, displayed value is exactly what you get. Weapons are the only exception, and given the damage algorithm, it makes sense that a weapon's attack power should not be the displayed value.... but more on that later. ;)

I'm done with figuring out the remainder bits. They turned out to be flags which indicate different battle status info, most of which were tactics used. Some additional interesting facts:

*. The tactic which supposedly doubles your STR actually doubles damage, not STR.
*. The tactic which supposedly doubles your DEF actually halves damage caused, not actually affecting DEF. Awesome tactic to use...

Also, here's a few other interesting things:

*. Your DEF actually works like an "absorb" value. If you have 100 DEF, your damage will be reduced by ( 100 / 255 ) =~ 0.39%. If you have a theoretical 255 DEF, then the damage you receive will be 0% = 0. The exception here is that the algorithm will always add 1 to damage, so you will be hit for 1 point. So hypothetically, if your DEF was 255, you will always receive 1 damage point, no matter how strong your opponent is, and what weapon he uses, or how many soldiers he has. This only applies to normal attacks. I did not analyze the case of tactics being used, such as the Fire or Water tactics.

*. Each boss battle has an additional DEF rating applied, but only for boss battles, and only applied for the enemy. :( This rating actually varies depending on the boss battle. So if you meet a General in a boss battle, and later in the field, the exact same attack on him will cause more damage on the field than in the boss battle. I think this additional DEF boost to the bosses is supposed to reflect the whole "you are attacking a fortified castle, so we get a defense boost!" type of deal... So guess what... when some of the NPCs say "blabla is heavily fortified" they actually mean it... and it probably means that location has a higher DEF rating than others...

Also, there is one single boss battle in which this defense boost is not applied, but ONLY if you attack by moving from the left. I forget the name but the castle you attack where you kill that general, and then his brother wants to avange him? Well, if you attack by stepping on the left tile and moving to the right, the defense boost the enemy gets is ignored. I was all WTF about it until I talked to this lady in a village that said the "west bridge of the castle is under construction" or something like that... I got goose bumps when I read that, cause suddenly that part of the algorithm made sense. XD It's kind of interesting to find out that a lot of these things villagers said about certain places being heavily fortified, and not others, actually had some truth to it...
  1. Boards
  2. Destiny of an Emperor
  3. What has the biggest influence on damage dealt?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived