GTWS(N)BPBAA Part Deux: Yet Still More Gaming Distractions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Arc of Yesod
  3. GTWS(N)BPBAA Part Deux: Yet Still More Gaming Distractions

User Info: the_love_less

the_love_less
6 years ago#11
It will. There are a ton of excellent games coming out in the next few months, including some great first party titles. Apparently the 3DS has sold a mint in Japan since the price drop, and between first party titles and a slew of third party titles, I think it may very well do better than expected. As for the Vita, I think it shows a lot of promise. However, I think the 3DS has one thing that the Vita doesn't, and that's a market. The Vita simply has too much stuff going on, a lot of which is capable from smart phones. I think a large part of the price is due to the GPS and 3G etc, and not so much for the actual gaming aspect. I think Sony will have trouble finding a sustainable market for it, especially if they keep the $250 price point. I think the 3DS has a better chance of doing well in the actual gaming market, but we'll see. For the first time ever, I think, the handheld market is totally up in the air, and is anyone's game. I just hope it doesn't lose out to the whole app and smart phone craze. I've always been an avid handheld gamer, and I really won't want to see it die out.
"This is Planet Earth, Agent White. Do you read me, over? Today I kept the peace on this planet. Over? This planet's very peaceful. Over and out."

User Info: Mertato

Mertato
6 years ago#12
My only focus has been Deus Ex: Human Revolution lately and, although I'm not finished with it yet, I'm going to go ahead and call it one of the best games this year. It lives up to my lofty expectations after the original which is difficult enough when nostalgia is involved.

I've been using the non lethal sneak/hack route this time around which has made me appreciate the level design even more. It's realistic and very open to whatever augments you may have applied along the way which only serve make the trek easier. There was an intense moment in the Picus news building in Montreal when I was waiting for an elevator to reach my level and 4-5 enemies swarmed the room with seemingly no opportunity to make it down to the sub-basement while they searched for the intruder.

The first boss was a let down with his only motion being to walk forward and either fire from his arm or throw a grenade but they seem to require a bit more finesse to take down later on.
007 373 5963

Mertato
6 years ago#13
I've kept fairly busy in my time away, beating DXHR and Dead Island recently.

I had started Red Orchestra 2 but the cooperative play wasn't ready for launch so it kind of killed the incentive I had to play through the campaign. I'll either focus on the God of War Origins Collection or the new Resistance in the meantime.
007 373 5963

User Info: Anderjak

Anderjak
6 years ago#14
I've come to acquire so many freaking games since last I posted that it's a little absurd, so I'm going to limit it to games I've actually been physically PLAYING.

I'm still working on Deus Ex and Dead Rising 2, which have sort of stymied for me (DR2 because I keep dying thanks to psychopaths, Deus Ex because my laptop doesn't like running games for that long and my mouse died as well -- all things fixed now, just... irritating).

I HAVE been playing the Persona games. I beat Persona 3 and The Answer, and loved the crap out of those, and have since begun playing through Persona 4, which is already far and away better than 3 in almost every facet.

I also went through Resistance 3; I don't know how much I like it compared to the other games, mostly because Resistance has always sat oddly with me. I was never wowed by them, but they were always really fun. I did like the story and characters more in 3, and having access to every weapon at once really does make things a heck of a lot more interesting -- especially since now weapons upgrade as you use them, up to 3 levels. The story ends a little quickly, but it pretty much ends where it needs to, and while it doesn't necessarily tie off the series as a whole, it leaves a mark with some moderately impressive "wow" moments. The multiplayer's pretty rock-solid, too; I've hardly run into any lag, and they've built a leveling system that definitely does ape Call of Duty, but in smart ways, taking what works and removing what doesn't. There are some cool loadouts with lots of powerups and buffs, and it makes for some pretty compelling gameplay -- provided you dig the gameplay in the first place

Gears of War 3 comes in today, so I'll probably be playing that this week, along with Persona 4. I'm also on LoL and WoW, if any of you guys play.
An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

Mertato
6 years ago#15
I'm at about the tenth chapter of Resistance or so but I would also like to chime in that I love the upgradeable weapons and the ability to use them at my leisure with the wheel. Apparently the multiplayer actually has dedicated servers so any latency issues should be nonexistent. Hopefully I can get back to this one soon. The sole reason for putting it down is because I bought Gears of War yesterday which I'm itching to play.

By the way, Zack, I thought Renegade Ops looked fun on Steam so I ended up buying the four pack and gifted you a copy. It was four for the price of two; sorry to curse you with more stuff to play in the hectic fall schedule.
007 373 5963

Anderjak
6 years ago#16
I saw! I tried to accept it, but apparently it said I wasn't allowed to take it? I'll try again. I actually really dug the demo of it on PSN, even if it seemed a little trite -- but a GOOD kind of comfort-food trite. I'll try again and give it a serious spin.

And yeah, R3 is a surprise. Nothing special if you're not a fan, but such a fun way to end the trilogy. Gears 3 seems to be the same way, but I think GoW had much firmer gameplay footing than the Resistance series, so it's a little easier for me to get into.

Mertato
6 years ago#17
Steam has been a bit goofy on gifts, it seems. I had trouble with someone else and ended up utilizing the new trade system from the inventory and it worked like a charm then. Now the only problem would be the game is still set as TBD for a PC release date, ha.

In other news, The Binding of Isaac should be out in about a week and it will be the low, low price of $5.
007 373 5963

Anderjak
6 years ago#18
I've been really excited for Binding. THANK YOU for reminding me that's getting released so soon. And yeah, I got the ROps gift working this time around! So booyah.

Mertato
6 years ago#19
No problem! Glad to hear that Renegade Ops went through too.

I honestly had no idea that the Tomb Raider Trilogy came out in May. It's my mission to buy whatever HD collections are pumped out, so after bargain bin shopping I eventually found it for about $15. Unfortunately Underworld doesn't appear to have the two "Xbox exclusive" DLC packs which I always assumed were timed.

After dragging my feet on several different high quality games like Dead Space 2, Bayonetta and Shadows of the Damned I knocked out the last two chapters of Resistance earlier today. What a roll I'm on, huh? Some spoilers to follow...

I thought it was solid overall with my favorite area being the prison. It had a touch of everything with Grims in the lower levels, somewhat sneaky sections in the cell blocks and what had to be the best weapon in the entire game - the Mutator.

Going by the happy ending that we got, I can't really shake the feeling that Insomniac cut corners in the storytelling by knocking out one tower only to have radio transmissions in the credits tell how humanity was able to overcome the billions of Chimera that were still left on the earth through various skirmishes.

Of course, another Resistance was already announced for Vita under a different developer so maybe they'll dig a bit deeper into the Cloven or some other plot points that didn't seem to be fleshed out very much.

Now onto Gears of War.
007 373 5963

Anderjak
6 years ago#20
Yeah, R3's story certainly ended abruptly. I was never made to care too much because of the way the story was handled, so any happy ending was going to be okay by me? I don't know, haha. It doesn't do an absolutely fantastic job of giving you the emotional impact it needed to, and certainly had the monumental potential to. Still, though, the gameplay's probably the best in the series. One thing I CAN say about the story is its pacing; it does a good job of bouncing you between big war segments, quiet character segments, and creepy zombie segments. Nothing really ever feels like it lasts too long, and you're picking up new weapons at a solid clip. I ended up favoring the Atomizer, though the Mutator was really nice for clearing out rooms when used correctly.

I'm up to the third act in Gears; so far, it's looking like I want to play through it again later on with friends. Hopefully there's a way to get three other players together to crash through it. It's a load of fun, and there are some great setpieces.
  1. Boards
  2. The Arc of Yesod
  3. GTWS(N)BPBAA Part Deux: Yet Still More Gaming Distractions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived