GTWS(N)BPBAA Part Deux: Yet Still More Gaming Distractions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Arc of Yesod
  3. GTWS(N)BPBAA Part Deux: Yet Still More Gaming Distractions

User Info: Anderjak

Anderjak
5 years ago#201
FEZ: It really is pretty glorious. I have absolutely no sense of direction when it comes to more abstract environments like in this game, but everything else I "get" pretty easily. It's a fantastic experience, and definitely worth the 800 MS points.

Yet, for some reason, it's not quite my kind of experience; I've never been keen on games that have a hell of a lot of corridors and passageways and secret locations, because I get way too lost and frustrated on that bit alone. (For reference, I get frustrated when I'm on a side-street I don't recognize in my own home town and can't find my way back. So it goes.)

Even with that, though, I still want to play more. I'm just not sure if it's a game I can play for long, long hours.

Skullgirls: Probably one of the more inventive fighters around, and one of my favorites in the past year apart from Mortal Kombat. It's only got eight fighters at the moment (two are planned for DLC), but they're really solidly built. The mechanics are good and simple, and easy to learn, while also being painfully difficult to master. The animation's pretty stellar, too, probably some of the best I've seen since Street Fighter III.

Sine Mora: I don't know if you guys like SHMUP/bullet hells, but this is a really good one. It tells a great, simple story and presents it all through time travel. The mechanics are really solid, too; it's all time-based rather than using lives and one-hit deaths. More of an arcade experience than anything else, but if you dig stuff like Ikaruga or Strikers or Gradius/R-Type, you might get a kick out of this.

Xenoblade Chronicles: I'm still hacking away at this. It's still a really compelling experience, too, more for the environments. I mentioned I'm bad at anything with lots of corridors and passageways, but XBC is far more about big, open environments and making it as easy as possible to get around. There is a fair amount of fighting, but there's generally a good amount of leeway allowed where not everything wants to pull aggro against you constantly.
An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

User Info: the_love_less

the_love_less
5 years ago#202
FEZ crashed my 360 twice today. It seems a little buggy to me. Otherwise, it's enjoyable, but I did find it a bit too abstract for its own good at times. That aside, I'm looking forward to playing more of it. I'm hoping Skullgirls is going to come to PSN, and, in turn, the Vita at some point. I'm holding out on that. It looks pretty great, and I'm very tempted to pick it up, but honestly it just seems like it would be a fantastic fit on the Vita. Still haven't gotten around to XBC, yet. Looking forward to The Witcher 2 and Disgaea 3 on Tuesday, and Prototype 2 the following week.

On a side note, I'm really worried about Sony and the Japanese gaming market in general, and it dawned on me today that I'm pretty sure gaming as we know it will be dead within the next three years, and that concerns me.
"This is Planet Earth, Agent White. Do you read me, over? Today I kept the peace on this planet. Over? This planet's very peaceful. Over and out."

User Info: Anderjak

Anderjak
5 years ago#203
Skullgirls is on PSN. Came out a day prior to the XBLA release, actually. Vita... eeeeh, let's see how sales are.

I'm not sure what you mean on all the gaming death knell business, though. The Vita IS tanking pretty bad in Japan, but that's not the only market out there. The Japanese market's been in trouble for a good while. With new and possibly slightly cheaper consoles coming out (thanks to wider distribution of more well known chipsets, rather than anything trying to be revolutionary, AND using a disc drive which is finally starting to see some serious price drops), most of your average gamers'll be gaining interest pretty quickly. The used market and the reaction to possible used games lockouts, however...

I don't know. I don't see it as dead in three years at all. Drastically changed, possibly. It all depends on the tactics utilized.
An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

User Info: the_love_less

the_love_less
5 years ago#204
I just don't see the current business model carrying over. I feel like Microsoft is really the only company that has any real stake left in the console wars. Sony seems dead in the water, honestly, and I'm really starting to think that they won't be able to recover from what's happening to the industry in Japan. The poor Vita sales speak to so much more than just that, and I really feel like Japanese gaming is on its way out. I'll have to wait until E3 to make any final judgements, but with all the price and spec rumors swirling around the Wii U, I think Nintendo may have set themselves up for failure, no matter how innovative the Wii U is. I think it has so much potential, but I honestly don't think Nintendo will be able to harness all of it. I think they're hoping lightning will strike twice, but the market that carried the Wii isn't going to carry the Wii U, and I don't know many people that are still interested in Nintendo as a company. The one or two first party games a year just isn't really worth it anymore. On top of all that, we have EA taking over the market and making stuff like day one DLC the norm, along with Activision rehashing the same crap over and over again that people eat up. Gaming doesn't seem to be covering any new ground save for the few odd releases here and there, and ultimately the whole industry seems to be turning into a huge cash cow that's dominated by a the Western market and a few specific genres and series. Maybe that's over generalizing, but that's how I feel. I don't know. I just don't feel like gaming is headed anywhere that I'm really all that interested in, anymore.
"This is Planet Earth, Agent White. Do you read me, over? Today I kept the peace on this planet. Over? This planet's very peaceful. Over and out."
  1. Boards
  2. The Arc of Yesod
  3. GTWS(N)BPBAA Part Deux: Yet Still More Gaming Distractions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived