GTWS(N)BPBAA Part Deux: Yet Still More Gaming Distractions

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Arc of Yesod
  3. GTWS(N)BPBAA Part Deux: Yet Still More Gaming Distractions

User Info: Mertato

Mertato
6 years ago#41
I hit the capped rank of 35 in Uncharted 3 multiplayer so I'm back with Shadow of the Colossus for now. I'll just say that #3 on time attack is an absolute terror and leave it at that.
007 373 5963

User Info: Anderjak

Anderjak
6 years ago#42
Oh, god, there's a new UC3 MP beta? I have to get in on that.

I still haven't booted up our copy of SotC/ICO. I really need to get on that, but Solatorobo is REALLY taking up all of my precious time.
An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

User Info: Mertato

Mertato
6 years ago#43
Yep, this one is through the Subway promotion which will carry your stats over to the full release.
007 373 5963

Anderjak
6 years ago#44
Guess I'm going to Subway for lunch.

User Info: the_love_less

the_love_less
6 years ago#45
Played a few hours of Arkham City last night. I... am somewhat underwhelmed thus far, honestly. I think the more open world nature of it sacrifices the pacing somewhat, which was one of my favorite parts of the first game; everything was so tightly knit together, and so deliberate, that you never stopped feeling the impending threat of the Joker. It was really well done. Arkham City, on the other hand, seems more loose in its presentation, and ultimately lacks that tenseness. I was hoping for the world to seem seamless and creepy; instead it seems to be more a bunch of individual platforming areas, poorly sewn together into one, messy playground. I'm admittedly only a few hours in, but so far I am a little disappointed, I'll be honest. Hopefully once the story fills out a little more, and I get some more play time under my belt, it'll flesh itself out a little bit. For now though, I was expecting more.
"This is Planet Earth, Agent White. Do you read me, over? Today I kept the peace on this planet. Over? This planet's very peaceful. Over and out."

Anderjak
6 years ago#46
It doesn't really play like Arkham Asylum, that much I've figured out. It's... It's one of those games that takes a while to "click." There's nothing inherently wrong with the way it plays, save for the precedent the previous game set, but once things start clicking and you start seeing all the things you can do, it works fantastically well. I plugged in way too many hours into it last night, and I had a lot of trouble putting it down after a couple of hours of sort of fumbling about and being unsure of the experience. Call it momentum, but I just plain ol' enjoyed the crap out of myself once I had relearned so much of the game.

They definitely didn't want to go for the same claustrophobia of AA for most of the game, due simply to the narrative, so there's a fair amount that can easily be explained. Moving through the city seems messy at first, but once you get the grapnel upgrade after doing the first set of AR Training, you can finally just glide through the whole city, which is kind of a rush -- not quite like Spider-Man 2's ability to swing through the whole city, but suddenly the map makes a lot more sense once you can launch yourself above the rooftops.

No, the only thing I'm bothered by apart from some lazy dialog writing for the thugs is that the size of the city isn't as large as I thought it would be. It's BIG, certainly, but when you're able to scale the entire city in about two minutes thanks to the skills you learn, the city suddenly feels... smaller.

Still, the combat is the best it's been thus far, and playing as some of the other characters is a thrill. I was afraid the various cameos would be too one-dimensional, but they did a decent job of working with what limited time they have to be fairly memorable. It's not as excellent as it could be -- certainly not as powerful as the first game in some ways -- but with what they're attempting, it just kind of works. I can't imagine the story without as full a cast as this so far, because it manages to teeter the line between just enough of a singular plot thread to being a bit all over the place.

I guess back to one of my earlier criticisms is the writing; the character dialog is as spot-on as the last game, and Conroy's Batman is a little less stiff than in AA (though his audio balancing is turned up and is a little off?), and everyone's giving better performances overall. (Tara Strong does a FANTASTIC Harley, by the way; I wasn't missing Arleen Sorkin much at all.) But the thugs... Whenever they talk about the female characters, it just shows a lot of laziness in that they tend to refer to them as the B word that gets censored here, the things they would do to them sexually (more allusions, not really graphic), it just... They could have stood to make some more witty dialog for these guys. I know they're thugs, but it just gets irritating to listen to.

Still, those are just my impressions thus far. I actually enjoy a lot of the boss battles that have been coming my way, as they're typically the tiniest bit more creative than in AA (no Ivy-like bosses yet). It's answered a lot of my complaints, and while it has a few flaws of its own to carry on, I still consider it the better game. Whether or not I enjoy it more... That's tough to say. I am just as obsessed with AC as I was with AA so far. We'll see how it handles itself by the end.

Oh, and I love the Riddler stuff. The puzzles are better than before, I think.

the_love_less
6 years ago#47
Put a few more hours in this afternoon. It's growing on me a bit, but I've managed to pin point most of my problems with it. Simply put, there's just too much. It lacks any real cohesive direction, and I think that this bleeds over into every aspect of the game. As I mentioned before, the city seems poorly sewn together; that applies to pretty much everything I've encountered so far. The sheer amount of villains they put in is absurd, and they never seem to get the screen time or back story they really deserve. Putting such legendary characters in what are reduced to flimsy cameos at worst, and poorly designed side quests at best (seriously? I'm actually running around answering ****ing telephones to hear a backstory?) is a disservice to the source material, and ultimately sums up pretty much what I hate most about the game; there's just way too much stuff, and not a lot of it is quality. I'm apparently the only one who feels this way, too. Looking at the reviews, I can't help but think that I'm just missing something. Where's this seamless, tight, thrilling experience everyone is talking about? At roughly ten hours in, the game has done nothing but annoy me.

Add all that on top of needless backtracking, CONSTANT dialogue (seriously. I can't go two feet without picking up on some insanely obnoxious conversation, which usually gets cut short by a different obnoxious conversation), poor character models (Harvey and Joker are the only ones that have impressed me so far; everyone else looks stiff and bored), and a weak and choppy plot, and I'm really just not enjoying the game much at all. Also, stop holding my goddamn hand. Hearing Batman explain to himself why every little thing goes wrong (which always seems to be fixed conveniently by a simple download from the Batcomputer) is just grating. Ugh. I don't know what it is, man, but I seriously just can't get into it. I LOVED the first game, but it seems like they took everything I liked about the first game and replaced it with all the elements I hate about Assassins Creed. I'm really hoping it grows on me some more soon, because the only part I've truly enjoyed is the Riddler puzzles and plot line, but even that's growing thin since I have to fight off hordes of baddies and isolate one guy to interrogate in order to progress anywhere, which would be fine if the combat system didn't automatically lock onto people, which is generally the guy that I'm trying to NOT hit. I'm just ranting now, so I'll leave it at that. I think Dark Souls may have ruined video games for me....
"This is Planet Earth, Agent White. Do you read me, over? Today I kept the peace on this planet. Over? This planet's very peaceful. Over and out."

the_love_less
6 years ago#48
So, I've mostly given up on AC and have gone back to Dark Souls. I want to try and finish it up before Skyrim comes out, and considering how difficult and just generally massive the game is, I'm wondering if it can be done. Still, given how much I've been playing it (about 45 hours in now) it should be doable. Maybe. Anyway, I'm really enjoying it a lot, and I think I may be one of my favorite games of the last year. It's just so meticulous and deliberate about everything, and I love it. It's a fantastically tuned game.

In other news, I'm really excited about all the upcoming 3DS games! The system is really taking off, and November is going to be awesome. Cave Story 3D, Mario, and Nana Assault all comes out within days of each other. Add to that Mario Kart in December, Tales of the Abyss 3D in January, and a slew of announced games, that thing is taking off like crazy. I'm really excited to see where it goes.

Anderjak
6 years ago#49
Just wrapped up my first run of B:AC, save for the DLC. Got all trophies and everything. It really does congeal nicely as a whole product once you get deeper, as I'd thought. Having all the gadgets and a fair amount of upgrades opened things up nicely, and the city makes a lot more sense once you get the grapnel boost and can basically get anywhere. Had a pretty good ending, too, I thought. There were some writing issues I could have done without, however, things which made me uncomfortable but were largely irrelevant to the overall plot and flow.

We also went through Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, me and my girlfriend and one of our old friends on couch co-op. It's got its frustrations, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have a few reliable people to play with, but it's good ol' fashioned dorky fun with some good wrinkles to the co-op formula. Never quite falls into "arcadey" territory, but certainly isn't trying to be a meaty R&C game. Was pretty darn funny, too. Only a few niggling flaws in the whole experience, things like camera and glitches and such.

Got through Solatorobo, too. VERY satisfying game, if a bit stereotypically anime as it gets further into the game. Everything opens up nicely in the second half and the resolution is actually pretty solid. I'm actually eager to play through the New Game + to unlock even more stuff.

Also started Radiant Historia, upon recommendation from a friend. Interesting time travel mechanic, where you can see all the points in the story where you made a significant choice; you can go back to these individual points and play out how the other timeline would have gone, and the way the game works sort of makes you switch between timelines to advance the story forward (when you save someone's life in one timeline, it invariably saves their lives in the other, which is weird but trust me it works).

The combat system's fairly nice, too, reliant on knocking enemies around on the battlefield to set up for weaknesses. Imagine the row alignment system commonplace in Final Fantasy and build a whole battle mechanic out of it.

Basically, the whole game scratches the Chrono Trigger itch without really being Chrono Trigger; it's slightly darker and more "mature" without being grim or losing its personality, it's fairly difficult, and does a good job of keeping you invested even in the early hours thanks to the quick introduction of the time node mechanic. Hardly revolutionary, but it's really sparked my interest in hunting down some of the RPGs I've completely missed out on this generation.

the_love_less
6 years ago#50
I've heard amazing thing about RH. It's on my massive list of DS games to just buy for the hell of it once the system officially goes bargain bin.
  1. Boards
  2. The Arc of Yesod
  3. GTWS(N)BPBAA Part Deux: Yet Still More Gaming Distractions

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived