Our Things II: The Quickening

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Arc of Yesod
  3. Our Things II: The Quickening

User Info: Trambient

Trambient
5 years ago#11
It honestly isn't a position that has any prerequisites. It's good to have experience, but even places like Naughty Dog hired first time testers relatively frequently. Your biggest obstacle is just your location. In LA, I'm right at the heart of Infinity Ward, Treyarch, ND, Insomniac, Sony Santa Monica, Blizzard, and offices for EA, Capcom, Konami, Square, and probably several others. I don't know why you're not getting a call back from the mobile place, but if there are any other companies in the area, it wouldn't hurt to try there. I got my first job at Vivendi by giving them my resume, and that was it. After I had worked there and at Activision, I had enough experience to land a job relatively easily at a developer, and after being at ND for almost a year and a half, getting a job anywhere else was basically just a matter of them hiring.

Honestly though, man, short of really being in desperate need of a financial uptick, I just can't recommend the position. There's just about no ladder to climb (Insomniac is honestly the only place I can think of that actually sought out talent from QA and would end up giving them actual positions), you're constantly being reminded that to anyone that matters, your position is meaningless, and there's basically next to no job security.

Working for a publisher both sucks, and the likelihood that you'll be working on shovelware is pretty exponential. Working for a developer, while nicer, can also prove to be pretty degrading. And honestly, no matter how much you think you'd be ready for it, OT is.... bad. Like, dark bad haha. When you're working 100+ hours a week, 16+ hour days, 7 days a week, for months, it's.... it's hard to describe, man. It's like...... you don't exist anymore. You work, and you sleep. You won't have time for Susanna, or family, or friends. The Earth keeps rotating, but it's like you're not even a part of it, and in the end, you don't really have anything to show for it. It's just time that's forever lost to you.

Sorry I got way dramatic there, haha, I just wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. The money is definitely nice, but it's at the cost of your physical and mental well being. It's just not worth it, even if you're desperate to work in the industry in some respect.
A penguin?! And he's been drinking!

User Info: Anderjak

Anderjak
5 years ago#12
Is there something specific you want to do? Scenario writing, level design, that sort of thing? If you want a position as an actual developer, the best way to go is to basically make your own games. I can recommend a few books if you want to study up, and a few programs to do some quick and dirty games to explore concepts, both visually and mechanically.

Or you can literally just start making mods for games from companies you want to work at. Bioware actually uses NeverWinter Nights mods as potential portfolio material. It all depends on what you want.

For me, I actually got a job offer at a smaller company based on both contacts and my own artwork. (Can't take it due to personal reasons, but it's a start.) I just started making stuff on my own, and putting myself out there; the next step is just showing companies my artwork directly.
An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

User Info: the_love_less

the_love_less
5 years ago#13
Travis, you're probably right, and I expect I would end up hating it. All the same, It's something that I'd at least like to try, but probably not do long term. I've got Microsoft, WB Games, Valve, Nintendo America, and a few other small studios over on this end, so there's hardly a shortage of places to apply to, but they're rarely hiring. At any rate, I'll just keep a look out. Honestly, I'm just sort of desperate for a job where I least feel like I'm doing something. Work has all but fired me and the rest of my department due to downsizing and the fact that we're closing for seven months in order to move, so I've literally been told to more or less just stop working, and to just answer phone calls, which there are painfully few of. I continually compare it to attending my own funeral. I just show up when they tell me to, which is usually like 10 hours a week, if that, and sit around on the internet until I'm told to go home because it's too slow. Thankfully Susanna has a very stable and financially lucrative job, and there's no contention over her being the bread winner, which is nice, though vaguely disruptive to my man-ego, so it's not like we're starving or anything. Quite the opposite, really. All the same, I go in these cycles every few months where I just feel like at almost 24, I should be doing something with my life. I've always been one to say that I don't require a career, or tons of money, and that's true; Neither Susanna or I have any debt or student loans to speak of, and we're quite well off for couples our age because of it. Our lives are more or less perfect. So, it's not necessarily a matter of money, I just wish I was doing something that felt... worthwhile. I don't know. I just feel like every job I've had has fallen out from under my feet so quickly. I've just never had a chance to prove myself.

Zack, as for what I want to write, generally probably scenario stuff. I'm endless fascinated by the scripting of quests and dialog in games like Skyrim, and I've always liked where narrative carries just as much weight as gameplay, sometimes more. I'm afraid I don't have the patience to really design my own games, let alone the know how. I'm criminally lazy when it comes to things that I'm not that interested in, and the design and programming aspect of gaming, while something that I've always highly respected, is never something I ever wanted to do myself. Honestly, I really just want to do game reviews. PikiGeek was great for that, but after a few less than ideal instances there (long story) I think I'm done with that, and it didn't pay anything anyway. I don't know. My previous post was written more out of frustration than anything, I think, though I appreciate the advice.
"This is Planet Earth, Agent White. Do you read me, over? Today I kept the peace on this planet. Over? This planet's very peaceful. Over and out."

User Info: Anderjak

Anderjak
5 years ago#14
Then I strongly recommend you do the Neverwinter thing to at least get you started. Minimal programming knowledge needed, and you can build a story to show off.

Besides, GameMaker is VERY easy to learn thanks to it being so well documented, and the creator of Spelunky, Derek Yu, has some FANTASTIC tutorials to show you how to get started and building your first game in a couple of hours. It really is worth at least trying, regardless of how impatient you might get. If you can't build at least some really cruddy, ugly prototypes that focus on your ideas, it'll be harder to show off your work.
An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

User Info: Mertato

Mertato
5 years ago#15
I didn't think that I'd like the show but I started to watch Sons of Anarchy on Netflix and now I'm hooked. Katey Sagal is fantastic. Also, the midseason finale of The Walking Dead aired on Sunday where they ended a major story arc before new episodes run in February. Anybody else watching these?
007 373 5963

Trambient
5 years ago#16
I've heard nothing but fantastic things about Sons. As for Walking Dead, I feel like all of my friends, and even Tammy, have read the comics, and just have a deep, profound hate for what the show is doing haha. Pretty much the only show I'm keeping up with is Parks and Rec. I've kinda been watching.... a lot of Anime....... I'd like to think I'm not "that guy," but Tammy is way into it, and it can be genuinely entertaining haha.

Mertato
5 years ago#17
I love Parks and Recreation! As for Walking Dead, they are going at a snail's pace compared to the comic (Sophia arc) and the dialogue seems to fall flat at times.
007 373 5963

Mertato
5 years ago#18
Now that finals are over with (as of yesterday), I'll be staying at my parents' place in Boulder for some winter fun. This far south I'd basically have to snowboard in my freezer for the same experience.
007 373 5963

Trambient
5 years ago#19
I've been to Boulder before, but not to the portion of town where adults evidently live haha. It seemed to me, while I was there, that the entire town was comprised of, and made for, 19-20 year olds, but I was reeaally close to the college.

Trambient
5 years ago#20
Everyone have a good Xmas? What'd you guys do?
  1. Boards
  2. The Arc of Yesod
  3. Our Things II: The Quickening

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived