Our Things II: The Quickening

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Arc of Yesod
  3. Our Things II: The Quickening

User Info: the_love_less

the_love_less
5 years ago#31
I guess my issue with the cover system is it's sort of a cop out, in a way. This is coming from a very much old school fan of the series, to the point that even RE4, which is now one of my favorite games, took me awhile to get into. Something about the tank controls of the original, despite being unintentionally clunky, added so much to the immersion of the games. Maybe I'm alone in this here, but I always felt that the more minimal the controls were, the more intense the game play was. In a very literal sense, all you could point and shoot, and run away. No dodging, no diving, no rolling, no vaulting. It made the game so much more about survival, and I adored that. Despite being STAR units, despite all your training and specialties, these shambling, slow zombies were overwhelmingly scary, and a very able opponent.

RE4 was sort of the best of both worlds, because while you could vault and aim better, it was still very simple in what you could do, and while you were more capable, your enemies were more capable as well. The threat was still real, and it was implemented very well. I mentioned this before, but the whole Zombies with guns thing in RE5; that is a prime example of where I don't want the series going. Chris was such a brute in that game, and in many ways he was so overpowered, that the simplicity of zombies wasn't enough. Capcom had to go into generic enemies with guns territory in order to negate the behemoth that was Chris Redfield, and that's just not cool to me at all. I firmly believe that the only reason zombies (if you can even call them that, anymore) are still in the series, is because without them, it's not even Resident Evil anymore. But they're a placeholder; they don't mean what they used to.

I'm just a big fan of zombies, I guess, and I loved the original games because they stuck you in these situations where, because of how the games were designed, everything was a threat; everything had a purpose. It was all very meticulous. I don't mind fast zombies, I don't mind zombies that can climb, I don't mind zombies that can wield bits of wood or chainsaws; that can be explained. But Capcom clearly just wants to make the series into a military shooter, and that's fine, honestly, but don't call it Resident Evil, because that's not what the series is anymore.
"This is Planet Earth, Agent White. Do you read me, over? Today I kept the peace on this planet. Over? This planet's very peaceful. Over and out."

User Info: Mertato

Mertato
5 years ago#32
I mentioned sometime back that I had looked into volunteer programs as I left the hospital after my short stay and found that it fit into my class schedule, so that's why I've been so spotty around here. I felt a little guilty that I was only there through a mistake made by the pathology lab in Dallas, as silly as that sounds.
007 373 5963

User Info: Anderjak

Anderjak
5 years ago#33
I'm holding out hope for RE6 all the same, though. If only because it looks to be catering to multiple fans in sections, rather than trying to appease everyone absolutely all at once. If Revelations is a sign that the series hasn't completely lost its touch, maybe RE6 will be the sort of consolidation of multiple ideas where everything is far more character driven, and we can have our cake and eat it, too. I don't know. I've been playing RE5 a little because the PS3 version was free for PS Plus subscribers, and actually having a lot of fun with it, and was reminded that I didn't actually have that much fun at all with the first three games -- a large amount of the reason I never actually FINISHED those games, when I've completed a number of other horror games from different series. RE4 was the sweet spot for change, and RE5 was definitely taking that in the wrong direction for the series, but it looks like they're at least trying to take a step back to RE4 and see what people enjoyed and what they didn't. No clue how well it'll go, but I've seen more focus on narrative and zombies and BOWs that actually seem creepy and interesting, which is what drew me to the series in the first place.

In personal news, I'm kind of tired of working for a school that doesn't pay men, and not getting any school credit for what I do. At least I don't have to pay bills, so there's that. Just in a creative slump.
An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

Mertato
5 years ago#34
Someone from the site you contributed to last year had some very nice things to say about your articles earlier today, Ben. Apparently some of the highest traffic they had at the time.
007 373 5963

the_love_less
5 years ago#35
Oh really now? What are you doing talking with Pikigeek?
"This is Planet Earth, Agent White. Do you read me, over? Today I kept the peace on this planet. Over? This planet's very peaceful. Over and out."

Mertato
5 years ago#36
Definitely not angling for a contributor spot! It came up naturally after we met on Steam although it was pretty obvious with "Piki Geek" in her username. Still, very complimentary when I mentioned your 3DS reviews.
007 373 5963

the_love_less
5 years ago#37
Well that's nice to know! I was always under the impression that my articles tended to go over well, as several of them generated a bit of discussion in the comments. Sometimes I think of writing more for them, but after getting screwed out of several reviews that I had asked for months in advance, and their penchant for constantly taking on new, young writers who will work for free, rather than focusing on and paying a few core members, I'm glad I stopped contributing. It's sort of a mess over there.

On another note, I'm in a rut, guys. Work has sort of dissolved into a pit of misery. There's a lot of sordid details that I won't really go into, but it's stressing me out, and I'm bringing my work problems home way more often than I'd like, which is never a good thing. Naturally, my instinct is to escape into games, as I tend to do, but it seems like we've hit a bit of a dry spell. Not much is coming out until mid to late April. I was hoping ME3 would tide me over for some time, but I just honestly have no desire to play it at all. I wasn't that taken with it in the first place, and after hearing about how awful the ending is (since it's impossible to avoid since it's all over the internet), I just have absolutely no drive to play it whatsoever. I picked up Crackdown 2 for $20 which is a nice, aimless game, and having never played the first I'm quite enjoying it, actually, but I feel like it's almost run its course for me. Anyway, what I'm saying is, I need a game. A fun game. A game that I can just sort of space out to. So what has been the most fun, unexpected game you guys have played in the last 3 years or so? Right now I'm looking at Prototype pretty heavily. It doesn't have to be open world, but I do tend to enjoy the crap out of go anywhere-blow-up-everything sort of games, or any sort of time sink like Disgaea would do nicely. It's can't be a PS3 exclusive, otherwise anything goes.

User Info: Trambient

Trambient
5 years ago#38
I hope things work out for you man! Unfortunately, I'm in sort of a ME3 stasis (partly because I'm really enjoying the MP, and partly because of the whole ending debacle), so I can't really think long term.

Why no PS3? I figure games like Journey or the J&D Collection would fit the bill. Tammy's been playing a bit of Kingdoms of Amalur. It's kind of like Skyrim-lite (or Fable-advanced), and it seems pretty easy to just lose yourself to. It's no Skyrim, obviously, but it feels a lot more approachable and easy to mess around with. More involved combat and a more interesting main plot, but with less involved.... everything else, and a really entertaining art style.

Can't really think further back than that right now. The games I've bought this month are pretty wildly eclectic (between ME3 and Reckoning, and Mario Party 9 and.... a Naruto game). I'll sit on it and try to come up with more suggestions.
A penguin?! And he's been drinking!

the_love_less
5 years ago#39
Oh, I just sort of live my life in limbo between Susanna's apartment and my parents. I go home maybe once every 2 months or so for a weekend and then head back to Susanna's place. We've been putting off getting a proper apartment together since my job situation is so unstable, so we've just stuck to staying in her small studio. As such, I don't have much gaming stuff here; just my 360 and TV, and a handful of games that I rotate out whenever I go home. It's not ideal, and we could easily have a bigger place (her job pays extremely well, and is very stable), but I'm just not that keen on the idea of everything falling on her shoulders whenever my employment situation takes a turn for the worse. I mean, we worked it all out before when I was unemployed and she was making way less than she is now, and there were no hard feelings or anything about it; we've both come to terms with the fact that she's the bread winner in our relationship. So I don't know. I guess it's some sense of pride or something, but we really should get a bigger place together. For all intents and purposes we live together, and have for nearly 2 years. I don't even have a room at my parents, I just keep most of my stuff there, which is honestly just boxes of comics and games, and a handful of keyboards drum machines, so it's not like moving it would be all that hard. Anyway, that's my needlessly long explanation for why I can't play PS3 games.

I put a decent amount of time into Amalur myself, and was very surprised by it. It got a little stale after awhile, though, so I put it aside for a bit. I'll likely come back to it, though, if I can't find anything else that totally catches my eye. I downloaded Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, which is my first Ninja Gaiden game since the NES one. The camera gets in the way a lot, which is obnoxious, but it's pretty solid and holds up well for a port of a game that's nearly a decade old, and it's super smooth on the Vita. Also finally grabbed a copy of Devil Survivor: Overclocked since Amazon finally got some back in stock. I'm really digging it, so far. The story is pretty awesome. I've been thinking about picking up Crysis 2. It got great reviews, but I've never played the first. However, it looks like a pretty solid shooter with a cool theme and great visuals. Any thoughts on that?
  1. Boards
  2. The Arc of Yesod
  3. Our Things II: The Quickening

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived