So, I decided to have a tab opened to this board at all times

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Arc of Yesod
  3. So, I decided to have a tab opened to this board at all times

User Info: Trambient

Trambient
5 years ago#1
Let's not let this die, eh? I've been bad about coming here, but I wanna discuss things with you guys. Seeing every topic locked is a MAJOR bummer. Anyway, here's some obligatory gaming things:

I've been trying really hard to get into AC: Revelations, because 3 is coming in a few months and looks awesome. I just... can't get into it. Maybe I'm not really in the mood for that kinda game right now, but it definitely has something to do with almost all of the optional content being available to you so quickly. Any single player DLC I should be aware of?

I picked up Witcher 2. Haven't gotten around to it, but I'm looking forward to diving in.

Picked up Xenoblade as well. I figure that'll be my next gaming attempt once I get my Wii back from a friend I lent it to.

GF is playing Diablo 3. Looks fun, but I don't know if it's really my kind of thing. You guys messing around with it at all?

Mario Party 9 is sorta fun....

COOOOOME BAAAAAAAAAACK!
A penguin?! And he's been drinking!

User Info: Anderjak

Anderjak
5 years ago#2
I got pretty painfully busy the last few weeks; it's only been this week that I finally got some decent time on my hands. I'm as much at fault as anyone for letting things get locked. Still willing to keep trying, though!

AC:R only has the puzzle DLC, nothing really outside of that, I think. I had a lot of fun with the main game so I was able to chew through it pretty well! Right now, though, all my thoughts are to AC3, since every review I've been seeing makes it look like they're picking up the right stuff from Red Dead Redemption while keeping a distinct AC feel to it.

I'd like to play Diablo III, but I don't really know too many people who have it that I WANT to play with. I know I'm not really one for soloing these kinds of games. I can barely beat Torchlight because I just don't have the patience. I'm actually having a similar problem with SW:tOR; absurd amounts of fun, but because I don't play with anyone, I start feeling really claustrophobic. (On freakin' TATOOINE.)

Never played the Witcher games, but I scratched at Xenoblade. It's a lot of fun, I just got too distracted from it. Love the environments, but it's way too easy to lose the main plot, haha. So many freakin' sidequests.

I've been playing Max Payne 3 and all the Mega Man Legends games lately. MP3 is definitely "what if Rockstar made Max Payne," but it's a solid follow-up. Tight, well balanced gameplay that is good and challenging, with some solid plot and dialog, but if you really want a Remedy Max Payne game, it's hard to not be a little disappointed in areas.

I beat Mega Man Legends 1 the other night, one of the first games I really latched on to apart from Sonic. I forgot how fun it was, and I forgot how EASY it was if you just play thoroughly. Misadventures of Tron Bonne is also pretty filling, really interesting and varied gameplay. Not necessary at all from a plot perspective, but it's a ton of fun, and it's different enough from the main games while still being really great fanservice and a meaty experience. It's aged surprisingly well. The training segments are way too difficult, though.
An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

User Info: the_love_less

the_love_less
5 years ago#3
Alright, here's what's new on my end. Moved into a substantially larger place with Susanna, and got all my gaming stuff in one place, which is nice. Picked up the Star Wars XBOX, because I needed a bigger HDD and was simply in love with how it looked. Dig it. Also digging Kinect for Netflix control and not much else. Picked up a 50" plasma, too, just for kicks. Feels really awesome to finally have everything back in one place, and having such a big television really makes it feel like my dream set up, I guess. At any rate, I couldn't bring myself to open Xenoblade, but I was really itching for an JRPG, so I picked up Tales of Graces F, which I'm really, really enjoying. Also got the first Aletier game for the PS3, and have the other 2 on order. It's a little heavy on the anime cliches, but I'm a pretty big fan of over the stop moe animes, so I like it well enough. Looking forward to the second and third, as they're apparently much more polished in terms of actual game play.

Also picked up Max Payne 3. Having never played any of the other games, I guess I can't really comment on it entirely, but I'm really digging it. The constant filter effects and words popping up on the screen are sort of annoying, but ultimately I like how stylized and specific everything feels; you can tell a lot of thought went into the writing and subsequent presentation, and it really shows. It's over the top in all the right ways, but I will say I get pretty irritated with how much it tries to hold your hand and push you in the right directions. I get that the pacing is important, but I'm sort of tired of outright being reprimanded for exploring, especially when there's collectibles to be had. I feel like Rockstar should have maybe just omitted that aspect entirely, and focused on just crafting the best possible action experience they could. Being subtly insulted by Max, or outright failing missions for trying to do things that the game itself encourages you to do is just stupid. It's the one thing that's bothered me about the game throughout, and it's starting to detract from the experience a bit. I like getting the most out of my games, and I really hate having to replay things because I was forced onwards before I was ready to, especially when there's so much exposition and story to sit through all over again.

Otherwise, not much else to tell. I have a pretty big backlog to get through, but I keep getting distracted. Started playing Dark Souls again today which took a good 5 hours away from me. I really want to get through Tales of Graces, Max Payne, and the Aletier series before late June. Really looking forward to Gravity Rush and Lollipop Chainsaw, so I want to get my plate cleared before all that. Ideally I'll pick up the Witcher 2 again, but for some reason the few hours I played of it just didn't quite stick with me. Not sure why, but I didn't really feel much draw to it. Maybe I'll save it for a rainy day.
"This is Planet Earth, Agent White. Do you read me, over? Today I kept the peace on this planet. Over? This planet's very peaceful. Over and out."

the_love_less
5 years ago#4
Alright, guys, look. This isn't going to work. This happens like once a month. We all get sad and bummed out that there's not much going on here, and then we try and bring it all back, and then it falls back to being dead. So, I looked around, and I figured Travis was probably right. So I went ahead and made us a private subreddit. I'm the mod, so you'll have to be approved by me, so go ahead and make an account and tell me your username here, and I'll approve you for posting. I'm still trying to piece all of it together, so sorry if it's a little weird so far. Anyway, here's the link to the sub. http://www.reddit.com/r/yesodcollective/

You won't be able to see anything on it or post anything on it until you're approved, so get to making and posting those accounts, boys! Hopefully this will help bring back the morale a bit. It'll also be a lot easier to post links/pictures etc to discuss, so that'll be nice. Anyway, there you go. Sorry I stole your idea, Travis. I was bored at work.
"This is Planet Earth, Agent White. Do you read me, over? Today I kept the peace on this planet. Over? This planet's very peaceful. Over and out."

Trambient
5 years ago#5
Ben! Alright man, I think this is worth a try. At least a test run. We all still have gamefaqs accounts, we can come back here if it's an awkward transition.

I think this can still work, even with just the four of us. We've had spurts of activity, and I honestly just think the main problem is that we're older, we have more responsibilities, we're all in relationships. It was definitely a lot easier to keep this community afloat as a teenager (and it didn't hurt that there were more of us), but the fact that we've been here for 5 years, I think, means it's something we should be willing to work for, or whatever.

Anyway, my main account is:
streambeck

Thanks, Ben. Hopefully Zack and Aaron will get on board. I'll at least lurk these boards (assuming this works) in the vein hope we might see Dan again.

Trambient
5 years ago#6
Oh, and I should probably respond here while we're still around:

I don't doubt that ACR is fun, I just got a little overwhelmed by the sudden onslaught of "this is everything available to you outside of the story," all at once just a few hours in. I'm also, despite loving Brotherhood immensely, honestly still a little burnt out on the style. It's something I'm really excited for, but I think the annual releases took a toll on me quicker than I would've expected. I think it's definitely something Ubisoft has to be a little more careful of. I don't care how much I might love AC3, if I finish it and then within weeks I'm seeing a trailer for the Fall release of the next one, there's gonna be some eye-rolling.

For whatever reason, I'm just super uninterested in MP3. I feel like the only reason it ever drew me in was the fact that Rockstar was making it, but you take the name off the box and it just looks like another cover based third-person shooter that's probably 8 hours long. I miss bullet-time, but I've just been in the mood for big fantasy/sci-fi games (and Ben, I'm DYING for a JRPG, keep me posted on how those turn out. I'm hoping Xenoblade can scratch the itch for now).

the_love_less
5 years ago#7
Alright, Travis! You're all set for submitting and you're listed as a mod, too, so you should be able to access the sub. I posted a little "welcome" topic which just sort of covers to basics of reddit for the unfamiliar, so go ahead and check in there. Hope to see everyone else soon!

User Info: Anderjak

Anderjak
5 years ago#8
My account's Anderjak (as usual).

And Trav, MP3 is a cover shooter SORT OF, but its mechanics betray a lot of the thought processes normally associated with it. No regenerating health and destructible environments tend to mean you can't stick to the same cover for very long, and enemy layout and wave patterns means no one spot is perfect, you always run the risk of being flanked. It's one of the more challenging shooters out there. I also started realizing that, while the plot is sort of a weird change of pace, the actual character of Max and his representation throughout the story (dealing with alcoholism, addiction, and the aftermath of being a creature driven by vengeance) is actually a great closer to a full character arc started with MP1. Then again, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I am not entirely certain we'll be seeing an AC3: Part II right away. AC: Brotherhood and Revelations were kind of made to support the AC3 team, so to speak, and keep the series relevant, but if the series continues to sell as well as it has been, it may not need to release annually to support the 300 or so people working on the game at any given time while still maintaining a heavy profit. That's just conjecture, though; as successful as AC:B and AC:R were (thanks in no small part to the multiplayer), I think the developer could see they were beginning to oversaturate the market with the title, which hurt reviews a bit.
An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.
  1. Boards
  2. The Arc of Yesod
  3. So, I decided to have a tab opened to this board at all times

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived