This game is awesome.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: CyberKnight

CyberKnight
7 years ago#1
I love the gameplay of this game. It's a bit of a mix of Civilization and Ogre Battle. How are the sequels? What/when is/was the latest version of this game?

Even a plain remake of this game would be good. Better displays, mouse over, sprites/icons.
[A64 3000+ (S754), ATI 9800 Pro 128MB AGP, 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung 2253BW]
[Laptop: 14.1" Asus F8Sn-B1, T8100, nVidia 9500M GS, 3GB RAM] 3DMark06(3575)

User Info: chaoyun2k

chaoyun2k
7 years ago#2
I agree, but sadly there are no remakes or sequels unless you count the NES version. I think the NES version has better graphics, displays and sprites, but that is the first version that I played.
Some are wise, some are otherwise, and I have my moments.

chaoyun2k
7 years ago#3
Ogre Battle is another of my favorite games and I spent way too much time on Civ when it was newer. :)

Who is your favorite character in this game?

CyberKnight
7 years ago#4
I like Yang Zhi cuz he is strong, fast, and can get a high enough Wisdom to launch a fireball. Wisdom is a hard stat to gain.

I think there should be another Service improvement in the game called Mine. Cuz it is so hard to get metal that making arms is practically useless. I also find it hard to Train my men late in the game because it takes so damn long.

chaoyun2k
7 years ago#5
That is the one that I like to use too. Besides the higher wisdom and possible above 80 dexterity, he seems to have an advantage with invitations until late game. He can invite Zhu Wu at a popularity of 75. I try to achieve that before Gao Qiu can take Zhu Wu's prefecture.

In the NES version 80 is high enough for the hero to lower body points in an archery attack (although it isn't very often). I am told that it needs to be 85 in the PC version.

When soliciting metal, a hero with decent wisdom will get more, but I normally only use that to maintain a group that is above 90 arms. High mercy seems to help too, but that could be because I normally use characters like Zhu Wu, Xu Guan Zhong, Wang Jin, or Gong Sun Sheng to solicit metal. I never solicit gold. The support level doesn't drop as much if you use a hero with high mercy.

For training I try to keep the number of troops as low as possible where the training level is low, and move trained troops into other prefectures if possible. I try to make sure that fringe areas do not have troops because I don't want to waste turns re-training them if I need to move heroes that have troops through those prefectures. I use one or two brothers to move through the fringe areas to keep troops trained and armed if possible.

Late game (when I am chasing Gao Qiu into prefecture 42) I like to keep a few brothers in prefectures that are safe, but strategic (like prefecture 12 that has access to a lot of prefectures). I use them for buffers. But then I like to harass Gao Qiu for 10 or 12 years before I end the game. :o

chaoyun2k
7 years ago#6
Do you play any challenge type games? (Like limited brothers or time limits?)

CyberKnight
7 years ago#7
I haven't done any challenges. Maybe I should try a "No Blacksmith Game". See if it really is possible to go with just soliciting metal and making weapons.

Do you generally recruit everyone you can? Or are you selective?

I'll take anyone if I intend to use them as a Prefecture maintainer. Otherwise, I tend to only recruit guys with Strength 60+. Or if their Dex or Wis is 80+

chaoyun2k
7 years ago#8
I go after certain ones early, and then I take the 'bodies' that I get afterwards. If I want to prolong the game until at least 1118 then I will get everyone. By then I usually have chased Gao Qiu to prefecture 41. That way if he has any new heroes I can get them when I chase him into prefecture 42 where he stays for the rest of his miserable life. :p

Good luck if you decide to try a no blacksmith game. If I was going to do that one I would probably use Heavenly King in the second scenario or Nine Dragons in the second or third scenario.

chaoyun2k
7 years ago#9
I like to use heroes that will benefit from an increase in wisdom to solicit the metal. You could do the no blacksmith challenge with anyone, and I guess for a challenge you would want to use one of the goodfellows that doesn't start with those good characters.

I enjoy reading progress posts if you decide to try that and have the time to post about the game.

chaoyun2k
7 years ago#10
I keep thinking that I need to finish my research on the pc version so I can update the faq with the pc information. After I confirmed the hero information for the hero list I have been slacking. :(

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived