A few more tips that didn't seem covered

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Bandit Kings of Ancient China
  3. A few more tips that didn't seem covered

User Info: 9dragoned

9dragoned
2 years ago#1
Hello, I played this game when I was 16, rediscovered it at age 35, and been playing it on and off for last 3 years, always at level 5, usually with Shi Jin.

1. With a new hero who's loyalty is above 30, you can put him as magistrate in Dec and he will not defect.

2. Rejecting duels - it depends on their courage. So a hero with courage above 80 or so (guestimate) will NEVER reject a duel. On the reverse, if your hero asks for a duel, he will lose about 40 points immediately, so he will almost always lose. I prefer never to risk it even if my archer has already reduced the enemies' body. Why? 40 points takes 8 rounds to recuperate.

3. I love what I call nation-building - or servicing the flood, land, wealth. You need 3 heroes with good strength and then you line them up, and you can build up rapidly. Always have an order, i.e. 1, 2, 3, hero, repeat, so you don't have to keep checking their body stat.

4. I am a masochist in hating to lose troops and don't like brute force. So typically even when I attack an enemy 1000 vs 1000, I will lose about 100, sometimes 300 if facing strong opponents. The way to reduce troop loss is never place a hero with less soldiers next to an enemy with more (eg. hero with 98 next to enemy with 100 - he will attack you). Also the magistrate or your goodfellow will always be attacked no matter the troop count. Therefore, you cannot even allow your enemy to shoot most of the times. I usually surround the enemy with fire-casters to force them to put out fire, then my super-archers (above 85 dex) will whittle down their health to below 10. Then you burn them to hell. This works even against super strong opponents like Hua Rong, etc. You take them out one by one then occupy the castle. Your goodfellow will always take the hit, so when shooting, place him in hill or forest which offers higher protection.

5. On defence, count the number of hexes, esp with water, ice or swamp near your castle. If you attack someone on such a hex, they will suffer. You can hit Hua Rong 100 vs 100, and he will easily lose 40 troops to your 3 troops. If you know your opponent cannot cross water easily (i.e. spends 7 movement points), I often vacate the castle, and when he stops next to castle, I will really pummel him. It's also useful to know they have a preference of order to do things usually: it's melee (with numerical superiority or attacking castle), magic (if they can hit a number of opponents), fire, then arrow. This matters because if Hua Rong can set fire to your adjacent hero, he will do that rather than fire arrows at the hero two hexes away (as I said, I hate losing troops, and once your troop numbers less than them, they will always attack).

6. Know your terrain - there are a few provinces where 100 men can hold out against 700. One such place is 26. You park yourself in between a river and a swamp. It is impregnable. Against 1000, I usually need to reinforce just once. This is how I take away all of Gao Qiu's best heroes. Another fairly but not as defensible location is 12 in scenario 1 (400 good heroes against 1000 good enemies). 25 is also excellent but I won't use it cos it will destroy my own gold producing province if I'm doing scenario 2 - 4.

7. I hardly use blacksmiths. Solicit metal with high wisdom - this is how you get your heroes to improve their magic and dex. To get the most metal, use a goodfellow/brother/magistrate with low mercy. Some of the best metal miners (magistrate) are Wu Song, Zhu Wu, Zeng Tu. You pair them up with a magic user and you will get high 150s to 200s. I typically do two strong heroes to build (recovering 8 popularity) and 1 magic user in turn. Self renewing process. On the other hand, if you want a powergaming perspective, you can have Zhu Wu, Fan Rui, and Bao Dao Yi. Give food to 100, solicit x 3, give 200 food, repeat. Sometimes I make a pure mining town to feed everyone else, but mostly it feels too sad when they can't go to battle, so I keep it more organic.

9dragoned
2 years ago#2
8. With Shi Jin from scenario 1, I usually build up 13, 14, 17 area, then try to recruit Zhu Wu at popularity 100. If he cracks earlier from GQ's attack, then you can retreat all adjacent provinces until 26 is the only province bordering 25 usually. See above - you can easily fend off armies upon armies. Check the territories bordering 25. If any of GQ's provinces has more heroes than 7 and that province has no adjacent enemy, he will keep funneling them to attack you. You capture his heroes, move them out to nearby provinces, keep doing same. Easily can get 10 good heroes - I usually execute average or mediocre heroes, just not worth to raise their loyalty or train them.

9. For scenario 2 - 4, easy, take out 24 immediately, and then vacate the province, the entire west belongs to you now.

10. Your best bet for brotherhood is Jiao Ting, Zhu Wu Sun An. Make sure you occupy 13 by year 1008. Bian Xiang is a super hero and will swear brotherhood with you immediately.

11. In year 1009, move your newly sworn Bian Xiang to 12 to pick up Yie Qing and Qiong Ying. I prefer to do this than do it myself, because if Bian Xiang's turn comes before my own, I can give gold to make sure the new recruits don't dump me (they often will!) Do this any time you know you need a hero, it is worthwhile waiting for the right moment before recruiting - use your goodfellow to back up the process rather than risk losing him/her. As long as your newly recruited hero's loyalty is 25 and above, you don't have to pad him; he will usually stick around for a few turns at least. Anything above 30 you're ok, but make sure he doesn't fall below 30 come Dec. Oh and if his body health is below 25 (I think), even if his loyalty sucks, he can't move, so he will stay with you.

12. I usually operate on the defensive until I have elite heroes. This is the bait them tactic - other people have covered it. A small tip is to know the terrain, as well as to use a crappy built up province since it will suffer. I don't like the low-food, run, starve and attack tactic. You risk losing your own heroes when escaping. Reload a save game? No thanks.

13. On offence, I mean REALLY elite. Shi Wen Gong or Lu Zhi Sheng just don't cut it. My typical attack of 10 heroes is 3 - 4 strong ones with fire-casting, 2 magic users (90), 5 super archers. Usually of course there is overlap. Manoeuvring is the biggest issue in facing even mediocre enemy archers. Therefore know who can shoot and who can't, and walk your troops up carefully (see 5). Send in fire-casters in hexes where no one can shoot them to distract archers so your archers can get into place without being hit first. If you are careful, you might lose less than 10 troops in a 1000 vs 1000 if you are facing non-archers. Why cannot perfect? Cos no matter what, you still must lose 1 troop per enemy destroyed, even if his troop and health is 00.

14. Learn to use fire well. If you surround an enemy castle with heroes, and the enemy knows his dex is too low to put it out, he will retreat. If it's the last unoccupied castle. Give him one escape hex, he will jump out of castle. Put out the fire with your high dex heroes, and occupy it. Taa daa you won the battle with minimal troop loss.

15. When attacking bigger provinces, I'll usually whittle troops down to smallish numbers best if it's body to 00, so they don't retreat, but I can take them out quickly with 1 or 2 attacks. This ensures no reinforcement before I take the castles. This is all about timing, and best done in conjunction with magic.

16. Lastly know the rough popularity for you to recruit to lair. The only heroes Shi Jin cannot recruit EVER are Lin Chong, Yang Zhi, Chao Gai and Song Jiang. Everyone else will come at some point.

17. To get Xu Guan Zhong and Qiao Lie to become 90 wisdom, use invite to lair or ally. A successful invite is worth 50 exp, and a failed one is 20. Very easy to get a few points. I purposely do a few failed ones too so that I can get the 20 exp.

User Info: chaoyun2k

chaoyun2k
2 years ago#3
Some good points and info there, it seems we use some similar strategies.
Some are wise, some are otherwise, and I have my moments.

9dragoned
2 years ago#4
I'm sure there aren't too many ways of playing once you master the nuances. It's just that from the posts I saw here, most people seem to like using high strength brute force tactics. Do share if you have other styles of play to try out, am often playing the same way and it can get boring.

chaoyun2k
2 years ago#5
One thing that I try to do is have a couple of prefectures with support just high enough for the beasts to frequent them. I like to have a brother controlling those so I can get the benefit of those 50 point increases in strength and dexterity experience. The good fellow also gains 5 points for a successful hunt, but that is simply a side benefit.

I like raising stats, so I use a lot of those little tricks like you mentioned. With enough brothers you can set up 4 or 5 with beast potential and raise someone's strength and dexterity 2 points in a year with just that.

Another simple means is to use training which increases the experience by 11 for both strength and dexterity. Hire a few troops and train, if at 100 hire a few more and train, repeat as needed.

I've raised a couple of heroes to have 100 magic, but it seems a waste on those that have 70 move points at the start of a battle (Wu Yong)...unless they are defending. Zhu Wu and Gong Sun Sheng are my favorites.

I've raised a couple of heroes to have 100 dexterity (Hua Rong and Zhong Qing) but I gave up and finished the game before getting Qiong Ying to that point.

If you have read the NES board you probably know that I like Shi Jin and use a strategy very similar. You might also find that I like to chase Gao Qiu into state 42 without any heroes left and make him suffer for a while. ;) At that point I usually have all the prefectures under control and all people recruited - around 1119. As you say, it gets a bit monotonous at that point.

9dragoned
2 years ago#6
Hey Chaoyun2k, I still don't know how/when the beasts appear and sometimes that frustrates me like crazy.

That's something I always felt a bit random. Is it dependent on the amount of support? What's the threshold point?

Always can learn something new! :)

chaoyun2k
2 years ago#7
I thought the manual had that info, but I just checked and I didn't find it. I know that beasts can show up even when there is zero support. I'm pretty sure that is just one of the random 'events', like flooding and others.

I usually keep the prefectures that I want for beasts at below 40 or at 60-70 support and they seem to show up often enough. That keeps you out of the riot level and if you are just training your heroes it isn't too difficult to maintain. You always have people going in and out of the prefecture, so bring supplies with you when needed.

9dragoned
2 years ago#8
I never saw the manual in my lifel! Hahah. I believe I pirated it at Funan Centre.

9dragoned
2 years ago#9
I've just searched for a pdf version. My golly! This is all new to me..

chaoyun2k
2 years ago#10
Yeah, the PC manual is a little different than the NES manual. It basically indicates the strength of the beasts, well strongest to weakest, and it says you can get from 1-5 popularity. I've always seen 5 if you are successful, and 3 if unsuccessful (body points reduced to 0, but not eliminated).
  1. Boards
  2. Bandit Kings of Ancient China
  3. A few more tips that didn't seem covered

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived