30 years later... an FAQ!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
(message deleted)

User Info: KeyBlade999

KeyBlade999
2 years ago#22
Luckily, I had that message still pulled up on my phone, so I can still respond to it.

- Firstly, my lack of further speaking on the matter is not a sign that I acknowledge anything. I said all there needs to be said. As far as you've acknowledged, you're no more professional in terms of the linguistic analysis of the English language than I am. My point was that "F.A.Q. = 'eff ay kew'" on the basis it was an abbreviation and the letters thus separated by periods in standard grammatical syntax. No one calls "U.S.A." "oo-sa" for that same reason. That people mispronounce it has no bearing on the fact that it is standard grammar to avoid it, just as the so-commonly-executed split infinitive. Most people will do it (mainly because they don't actually check their grammar in daily conversation), but that doesn't mean that split infinitives are by that logic alone okay. But, you know what, you're a professional. I'm sure you know so much more than anyone else on this board.

- Secondly, my "MIA" nature is because, unlike you, apparently, I don't sit here refreshing my page every 10 seconds waiting for a reply. I have a life beyond this petty little argument (for that is what you've turned it into). I mean, hell, who f***ing cares? We're on a God-damned internet message board, for Christ's sake; how someone pronounces it is irrelevant, since it's all typed. This started as a minor, intelligent, spirited discussion regarding whether "an FAQ" or "a FAQ" was the right syntax, but you had to muddy it up by throwing insults and s***. Seriously. Calm the f*** down.

- Thirdly, my lack of continuing argument meant I had nothing more to say on the issue, not that I did not learn anything from the experience. (I actually did, but that's not the point.) When a conversation is dead, it is dead. I said what I had to say, no one questioned me further, I found nothing to contribute to the conversation, so I felt it appropriate, over the last few posts, to let it die. Will I admit that I was wrong? No. Because, in my eyes, I was not wrong and no one gave any true evidence to debunk my mentality, you least of all. When a debate devolves to nothing but calling people a******s, stupid, and uneducated, that is the when the debate truly ends - it shows that you have nothing more intellectually to add to your side of the argument, and thus you instead use base insults to somehow support your idea. Clever.

- Fourth, I have far more of a position to claim on the right pronounciation of "FAQ" than you do. Is it a professional basis? No. But something extends infinitely beyond nothing.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/KeyBlade999/contributions

Total Files Contributed:1903 (50793KB)
Complete FAQs/Guides Contributed:371
Images Contributed:1494
Codes Contributed:6590 (652 games)
Reviews Contributed:134 (1519KB)
Game Data Contributed:134
Top 10 Lists Contributed:14
Box Images Contributed:24
Screenshots Contributed:13025
Video Links Contributed:572
Game Trivia Contributed:1293

My grounds extend far beyond yours, unless you have a professional degree which I do not know of, and even then I would seriously question the distributing authority of said degree given your banter in this topic as of late.
Every wound a new opportunity, every curse a new challenge.
I shall encounter defeats... But I will not be defeated.

User Info: Jo_Joanine

Jo_Joanine
2 years ago#23
KeyBlade999

It's hilarious that you say "the discussion ends when namecalling begins" as you were the first to do that.
All I did was point out the sheer stupidity in your claims and say that it was laughable.

Secondly, your refusal to admit you are wrong doesn't make you right. That's the funniest punchline in all of this.
You should seriously put it on your CV, that you do not understand what an acronym is.
(*My gardener understands this. Consider that for a moment. The person I pay in peanuts to mow my lawn has more insight into this than you. How is that for a future prospect?)

Your initial statement said that pronouncing NASA as an acronym was wrong and illogical.
It is not - and you are only making yourself out to be even more ignorant the more you deny this.

You're also arguing against yourself.
"I don't respond often because this or that, but look; I just replied!" Which is it? You have to pick a stance and stick to it.
As I said though, I considered you gone in the sense that you had bowed out of the discussion in light of being wrong (see: above), and had not the class or maturity to admit it.

As for my own credentials, I am more than happy to share them with you. I don't believe in internet anonymity, so if you want to verify them, all you have to do is hook up with me on Skype or something.
I have a doctorate in literature, a master's in musical theory, another master's in musical production, BAs in liberal arts (lol - yes, I know), and media & communication.
I'm also former member of my national MENSA chapter. Again, this is all easily documented. Pm me if you want my contact info.

Now you. What are your credentials?

KeyBlade999
2 years ago#24
Jo_Joanine posted...
It's hilarious that you say "the discussion ends when namecalling begins" as you were the first to do that.
All I did was point out the sheer stupidity in your claims and say that it was laughable.

If you'll remember my first post, it did not directly call anyone any names; it was merely a derogatory post dripping in sarcasm over a mistaken context in what was being said. I also apologized for it. That, furthermore, had nothing to do with the current issue of the pronounciation of "FAQ".

Jo_Joanine posted...
Secondly, your refusal to admit you are wrong doesn't make you right.

I have not been shown that I was wrong, either, however. No one has provided clear evidence that "F.A.Q." - specifically "F.A.Q.", not other words - should, somehow, be pronounced "fack". Only in the contexts of other words was it proven wrong; that's as stupid as saying God does exist because the deities of other religions must not exist. It doesn't validate anything either way.

Jo_Joanine posted...
Your initial statement said that pronouncing NASA as an acronym was wrong and illogical.

Seems strange that I got berated in D.C. by an upper employee at N.A.S.A. for pronouncing it "nassa" - several, in fact - as well as my English teacher in high school.

Jo_Joanine posted...
"I don't respond often because this or that, but look; I just replied!" Which is it? You have to pick a stance and stick to it.

You implicitly requested a reply in your first moderated post when you decided to go on a rant about me not replying. I'll reply if requested, or if I simply want to. I don't take a particular stance on it. You're really taking things into too much detail.

Jo_Joanine posted...
I have a doctorate in literature, a master's in musical theory, another master's in musical production, BAs in liberal arts (lol - yes, I know), and media & communication.
I'm also former member of my national MENSA chapter. Again, this is all easily documented. Pm me if you want my contact info.

So, nothing in relation to grammatical structure or syntax, then? Might as well say you have doctorates in mathematical sciences and physics for all the relevance it has - sure, those subjects may involve some study of the English language, but none are truly specialized in those fields.

Not to mention that I am continually doubting their truth AND relevance (since I would expect the doctorate in literature to have the most relevance to such syntax): seriously ... you don't know how to use line breaks. The average teenager can use line breaks properly, but, hey, someone with a doctorate cannot. Interesting.

And MENSA doesn't have any more relevance in this context, either.

Jo_Joanine posted...
Now you. What are your credentials?

So, yes, I listed them earlier, namely because I am currently a college student. Publishing and writing FAQs does have some relevance in terms of credentials, in the vein of "work experience". I've been doing this for six years and am the most prolific author on this site in terms of guides written by significant margins in both number written and document size (http://faqs.darkspyro.net/prolific.html). It does establish, to some degree, credibility in my favor.

As much as a professional English degree? No. But you don't really seem to have such a specialization yourself, do you?

If you're really intent on irrelevant stats, I have 35 on the ACT and a 173 IQ to boot.

KeyBlade999
2 years ago#25
Jo_Joanine posted...
As I said though, I considered you gone in the sense that you had bowed out of the discussion in light of being wrong (see: above), and had not the class or maturity to admit it.

I will admit I am wrong when I am proven wrong, not just to shut you up and appease you, and not a moment before. I have no problems with that, and admitted that I was in the wrong already once in this topic (albeit on a different issue). I am plenty capable of doing so, and have no qualms about doing so either, so long as it is legitimate. It would be just as wrong to admit I am wrong before as much.

And, in all seriousness, please explain to me why you are pursuing this argument so intently. I mean, really, you've not addressed my points regarding how relevant this really is. I mean, sure, it's merely a tangent to the previous subject of "F.A.Q. =?= fack", but pursuing me so doggedly really isn't going to help your point, either; rather, makes you look like a persistent troll, given your continued refusal to actually give evidence to your ideology if you're really so intent on debunking my "uneducated" "a******" mentality.

User Info: Super Slash

Super Slash
2 years ago#26
Keyblade, I'm sorry, but was it really necessary to flaunt your FAQ writing and the amount you've contributed twice in the same thread? Especially when both times you did, it really had nothing to do with anything.

KeyBlade999
2 years ago#27
Super Slash posted...
Keyblade, I'm sorry, but was it really necessary to flaunt your FAQ writing and the amount you've contributed twice in the same thread? Especially when both times you did, it really had nothing to do with anything.

In my eyes, it shows a little bit in terms of credibility as to whether I know how to pronounce "FAQ" properly, having been involved in their creation for a long time. On the whole, though, this entire debate - yes, my arguments included - are unnecessary.

For the record, it was not meant to be flaunting or bragging, more like "I have made FAQs, so I think I would know how to pronounce it"; the second time was a bit much, though. As if this thing matters anyhow, as FAQ is written the same either way and you cannot hear pronunciations on an internet forum.

User Info: Jo_Joanine

Jo_Joanine
2 years ago#28
KeyBlade999 posted...
Jo_Joanine posted...

I will admit I am wrong when I am proven wrong, not just to shut you up and appease you, and not a moment before. I have no problems with that, and admitted that I was in the wrong already once in this topic (albeit on a different issue). I am plenty capable of doing so, and have no qualms about doing so either, so long as it is legitimate. It would be just as wrong to admit I am wrong before as much.

And, in all seriousness, please explain to me why you are pursuing this argument so intently. I mean, really, you've not addressed my points regarding how relevant this really is. I mean, sure, it's merely a tangent to the previous subject of "F.A.Q. =?= fack", but pursuing me so doggedly really isn't going to help your point, either; rather, makes you look like a persistent troll, given your continued refusal to actually give evidence to your ideology if you're really so intent on debunking my "uneducated" "a******" mentality.

I never said I had a degree in linguistics, now did I? If I was going to lie to give myself an edge in this particular discussion, I would probably have said that I did. No. However, I did imply that I had a lot more credentials to my name than you - and seeing as you're still a college kid, I certainly do.

You can voice your doubts all you want, but I have offered to validate myself. Either take me up on that offer or make yourself look silly by questioning something easily proven.

Speaking of which, I'd love to see you extend that same offer to me (but you obviously won't), and prove your claimed test scores.
Not gonna hold my breath for that though.

You still don't understand acronyms though.
That's the sad part. There's no anology to the existence of deities or any of the other stupidity you posted.
Acronyms exist. FAQ can be pronounced as one, if that is desireable. It's as simple as that.
More importantly, that wasn't even the issue I called you out on.

You specifically implied (through your list of examples, of which NASA was one) that all acronyms are incorrect and illogical. That statement (and that alone) was what I said was dumb as hell. It still is.

By the way, you having written FAQs is every bit as irrelevant as anything else posted here thus far. Just because you've tried your hand at something you are (clearly) not fit to talk about every aspect of it.
Would writing 50 pages of s***ty fanfic make me an authority on Shakespeare?
No, of course not.
Hell, you know what? I could build cars for a living and still not pronounce Peugeot correctly.

User Info: CaioNV

CaioNV
2 years ago#29
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/1/10/Medic_sf13_magic_reac01.wav
Everyone is BLOODY USELESS!

User Info: achimed

achimed
2 years ago#30
You guys are both really quite respectable. It's a real shame that you guys are quarrelling over something of such a small and foolish degree.
Hooray, Gary! We're finally huge!
3DS Friend Code : 1865 - 0341 - 2854.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived