First playthrough

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. First playthrough

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
5 years ago#11
I tried to make Kana as wise and gentle as possible. It just seemed like the best way to use her time in the hospital.

That was my exact reasoning as well. I wanted to help her do something meaningful with what she had available to her.

Do any of you know which endings I specifically need to get before unlocking the one where she survives?

I've always thought you just need to complete one other ending to be able to get Ending 1 (where Kana lives), but I've also heard that you specifically need to finish Ending 2 in order to unlock Ending 1. I recommend leaving Ending 1 for last anyway. =)

User Info: NeutralDrow

NeutralDrow
5 years ago#12
I tried to make Kana as wise and gentle as possible. It just seemed like the best way to use her time in the hospital. I thought she could do all the “normal” stuff when she got better.

I was kinda surprised to find that was close to my reasoning. Or rather, I'm a nerd myself, so when she responded well to the first book I gave her (...okay, I found the other two titles stupid), and seemed inclined to read for its own sake, I decided to encourage her. Even during the Sumako incident, I had to soul-search for every single choice (eventually letting Kana associate with her, painful though it was). I knew ahead of time it wouldn't pan out, but I somehow got myself to forget that.

...I don't remember how. Every time I try to, the only thing that comes to mind is "six months."

Not to frighten you, but that scene always happens.

Always.

And I just couldn’t force myself to be mean to Yumi, she was just in love with somebody who didn’t love her back and I was sympathetic for her… Right up until she basically forced herself on Taka at least.

Same, basically. I was mostly pissed off at Taka for holding a grudge for that long over something that was in retrospect really minor. However, I never really liked her after that point...though there were times when I certainly appreciated her. You'll see what I mean when you get to the "Normal" path.

I need to…recover some more.

Take whatever time you need. I doubt any of us here did any different.

Besides, you'll need that strength for Ending 2.

One last thing, the friend who lend me the game says there is one ending where Kana lives but that you have to achieve some of the other to unlock it (She wasn’t sure which though) . Do any of you know which endings I specifically need to get before unlocking the one where she survives? (I’m still going to try to get all the endings but I really want to see Kana pull through).

Yeah, that's Ending 1, and I think you need one of the Normal paths (2 or 3) to unlock it. You really should do it last, though. After all, it might not be what you expect.
"Oh man, we're in trouble!"
"Come now. The worst that can happen is we all die."

User Info: Shoot the Works

Shoot the Works
5 years ago#13
I guess I'll forever be one of the three or so people on the planet who tried to help Kana have as full a life as possible.

NeutralDrow
5 years ago#14
Or at least one of the three or so people who drew an automatic distinction between living fully and embracing intellectualism.

User Info: Shoot the Works

Shoot the Works
5 years ago#15
Everything in balance. Kana was already doing plenty of reading on her own; the poor girl was stuck in that hospital room for who knows how long on end between stints at home. How could you not want to broaden the array of her experiences? Reading about something and actually being out there doing it are worlds apart. I'm an extremely avid reader, but I also believe it's important to get out there and live your life (and no, I'm not talking about clubbing and getting wasted). Developing one's intellect is all well and good, but books aren't the only way to do that.

NeutralDrow
5 years ago#16
Me living vicariously through her, I suppose. I can (and do, when possible) spend hours at a time in bookstores. The fact that I have those tendencies (plus a heaping dose of introversion) and find enjoyment in them led me to respond strongly when she showed the same interests. It's only natural to encourage someone to continue a path that both aids development and education and that they take pleasure in, particularly when the encourager values the same thing.

And really, it's not like we never did anything else. I was just as proud of her when she outclassed me at target shooting, or made her second basketball shot ever, as when she mentioned how college study sounded like fun.

Besides, allowing her to "live as full a life as possible" wasn't something I was even emotionally capable of considering, the first time through. I wouldn't, couldn't consider it. I was always feeling for the future, even though I technically knew it wasn't possible. The "six months" scene disillusioned me in about the most soul-wrenching way possible.

Probably how I got Ending 2 the second time around.

User Info: Arch_Evil

Arch_Evil
5 years ago#17
I've missed topics like these =)

After reading all this I'm curious if you've gotten all the endings by now, redrosemagic, and how you feel about them.

As for me: I played and finished this game early 2009, in just 2 days... Looking back, it may not have been the wisest decision to 100% complete the game in just 2 days =P
I felt depressed for at least a week or 2 before I started calming down, and it cost me over three months before I had let go of it (almost) completely.

Just the other day, I decided to listen to the soundtrack for nostalgia sake. For some reason, I started with 'For You (Music Box version)'. It took less than 3 seconds before tears started to well up in my eyes...

This game has one of the most powerful soundtracks I've ever heard. I'm almost certain that, would I have played this game without any music at all, the impact would have been less severe. And for me, there are always three songs that seem to do the trick: For You (Music Box Version), Thank You and She Was Weeping Sadly. Listening to one of those songs always results in me getting teary eyes, getting a lump in my throat, getting chills/goosebumps or a combination of those three.

Anyways, welcome to the KLS board. It's been a while since I've seen a new face =)
Visit my channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ArchEvil666
Music is my life: http://www.last.fm/user/ArchEvil666 | http://rateyourmusic.com/~Arch_Evil

User Info: redrosemagic

redrosemagic
5 years ago#18
“I recommend leaving Ending 1 for last anyway. =)”

Oh. Ok. I’ll trust your experience on this. =)

“I guess I'll forever be one of the three or so people on the planet who tried to help Kana have as full a life as possible.”

I think everyone did that. =). We just have different ways of doing it. I stimulated her latent intellectualism because that would be what I would have wanted were the positions reversed. Don’t get me wrong it isn’t like I never did anything else with her, I just thought she would end up happier if she pursued more overall intellectual things.

“Besides, you'll need that strength for Ending 2”

…ok now I’m scared. =/ How much worse can this get?

“After reading all this I'm curious if you've gotten all the endings by now, redrosemagic, and how you feel about them”

Oh no. I haven’t even touched the game since. Up until now I’ve been in “recovery” for a lack of a better word. And since I will be having 2 exams this week I’ll only play again next weekend.

“As for me: I played and finished this game early 2009, in just 2 days... Looking back, it may not have been the wisest decision to 100% complete the game in just 2 days =P
I felt depressed for at least a week or 2 before I started calming down, and it cost me over three months before I had let go of it (almost) completely”

Wow. You have quite a lot of endurance =P.
I’ve calmed down somewhat since I my first playthrough(which is good since I can’t afford my schoolwork to suffer at this point in time) and I’m only now ready to give it another go. But even now I still can’t. Like I said above this is a busy week in school so I probably won’t “risk” starting a new game until next weekend.

“For You (Music Box Version), Thank You and She Was Weeping Sadly. Listening to one of those songs always results in me getting teary eyes, getting a lump in my throat, getting chills/goosebumps or a combination of those three.”

She Was Weeping Sadly is heartbreaking just on its own. Nearly everything about this game is so well made, it’s chilling. I admit I haven’t played a lot of games (Most of the games in my house are my brother’s and his favorite genre is strategy, a genre I have absolutely no aptitude for. -.-) but I’m sure such an impactful and well told story rarely comes by. And to think I never even heard of this game before it was literally shoved into my hands by a friend! 0_0 I guess being a Bishojo game must turn a lot of people away. Such a shame.

“Anyways, welcome to the KLS board. It's been a while since I've seen a new face =)”

Thank you Arch Evil! ^_^ I’m glad to find such an active community for such an old game. Hopefully there we’ll be more new faces soon. =).

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
5 years ago#19
I think it's a wise idea not to get back into the game if you have important real-life things to take care of. Otherwise you'd find yourself in your exam staring blankly at the front of the room and thinking about Kana. =)

It's been so long ago now that I don't remember the order I got the endings in. I know I got Ending 5 first. After that I started using a walkthrough. I'm pretty sure I went back to a save and made one different decision to get Ending 4. And then I think I got Ending 6. After that I got the two normal endings (I don't remember which order), and finally Ending 1.

I think everyone did that. =). We just have different ways of doing it.

I agree completely!

Out of curiosity, why did your friend think you'd enjoy playing KLS? It certainly seems like a fateful decision. =)

NeutralDrow
5 years ago#20
…ok now I’m scared. =/ How much worse can this get?

...okay, I'll be honest. Part of that is sorta based on what you mentioned about your parents, and what exactly the twist of the ending is...but I have no similar experience to compare, so I could be completely wrong and was hesitating to even bring it up. The other part of is is because the general twist of the ending is something that made me break down anyway, and still consistently makes my eyes water. Not as badly as watching her die, but I'm going to watch some youtube videos and think very hard about kittens for a couple of minutes, if you'll excuse me.

*watches kittens for a couple of minutes*

...damn. Now I'm crying because I love kittens, so that kinda blew up in my face.

Anyway, yeah, wise course of action to wait until after exams.

She Was Weeping Sadly is heartbreaking just on its own.

It was probably my favorite "emotional" theme of the game (not counting "For You (Music Box version)"). I liked it more than "A Melancholy Reason," to be honest, even though the latter was associated with...well, you know. Outside that context, it doesn't so much make me cry as make me feel cold. And yet, the opening strings of "She Was Weeping Sadly" immediately make me remember Kana huddled up next to her bed after the heart attack incident on her period, terrified and humiliated, half-demanding and half-begging me to tell her what's happening to her.

...maybe "favorite" isn't the right term.

I guess being a Bishojo game must turn a lot of people away. Such a shame.

Tell me about it. I've actually written a few user reviews for various bishoujo games (including this one, link below if you're interested), and it's always something that has to be remembered that these are almost the definition of niche, and that sex in games makes a lot of people uncomfortable. Although it does mean I can't read forum threads of people discussing sex in video games (who have no frame of reference outside Mass Effect and God of War) without laughing.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.206764-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Kana-Little-Sister
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. First playthrough

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived