First playthrough

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. First playthrough

User Info: redrosemagic

redrosemagic
5 years ago#21
“I think it's a wise idea not to get back into the game if you have important real-life things to take care of. Otherwise you'd find yourself in your exam staring blankly at the front of the room and thinking about Kana. =)”

That did happen in the Mathematics test… thankfully it was only after I had finished and revised it (I’m very good at Math =D) and had about 10 minutes until then end of the test. But now I’m free! =). I convinced my brother to take me to see Apassionata(I’ve been bugging him for a while now ^_^) on Saturday so I think this Sunday (starting early; I don’t want to lose more sleep on account of this) is the day I’m going to get back in the game.*Shudders in anticipation*

“Out of curiosity, why did your friend think you'd enjoy playing KLS? It certainly seems like a fateful decision. =)”

Oh we were talking about everything and nothing (One of those talks that can go on for hours) and I mentioned off handedly that I wish I could get more into the games my brother played. The only game he’s played in the last few years that I’ve played too was Dragon Age, his other games are either strategy in which I lose in about 20 turns or just didn’t hold my interest. I said I thought that Dragon Age was quite impactful and that I felt kinda sad when I finished just because it meant the story was over. She looked at me with a smirk and said that while Dragon Age was a ton of fun to play it had nothing in terms of impact compared to an old game she had at home. Since I was disbelieving her, she went home (She lives down the street from our house) and brought KLS with her. She said: “Girl, give this game a chance, and you’ll remember it until the day you die.” So I did and…here I am. =P

“...okay, I'll be honest. Part of that is sorta based on what you mentioned about your parents, and what exactly the twist of the ending is...but I have no similar experience to compare, so I could be completely wrong and was hesitating to even bring it up.”

Oh it’s quite alright to bring it up. It shaped who I am today and it shapes how I reacted and am affected by this game so if you think it’s important, I want to hear it. I won’t tell you that I don’t get sad or even cry a bit when I think about it (My eyes are watering right now) but I don’t avoid the subject, our parents always taught us to face our problems instead of avoiding them. So don’t walk on eggshells around me, If you think it’s worth mentioning please do. =)

“The other part of is is because the general twist of the ending is something that made me break down anyway, and still consistently makes my eyes water.”

Oh, very well. I don’t want to be spoiled so I’ll leave it at that.

“Not as badly as watching her die”

I don’t think there’s anything the game can throw at us that’s worst than that one moment when you realize she’s dead while you distracted by the snow. =(

“...damn. Now I'm crying because I love kittens, so that kinda blew up in my face.”

Ohhh. Everyone loves kittens! I have our little tabby in my lap right now. He’s 3 weeks old. His name is Apollo. ^.^

“...maybe "favorite" isn't the right term.”

LOL. I got your meaning.

“Tell me about it. I've actually written a few user reviews for various bishoujo games (including this one, link below if you're interested), and it's always something that has to be remembered that these are almost the definition of niche, and that sex in games makes a lot of people uncomfortable.”

Do you think there’s a chance that will ever change? I mean I’m sure most of the games of the genre aren’t worth any attention but it’s a shame that gems like Kana get so little attention, like I mentioned, I had no idea this game even existed until it was put in my hands.

redrosemagic
5 years ago#22
“Except for that perverted, skirt-chasing bastard Masa. Touch my sister's ass again, and god help me I'm putting my foot up y--erm...”

LOL. The game should have given you the option to threaten Masa of dragging him out to the parking lot and giving it to him American History X style… ok that was harsh.

“...when did my sister turn into an elf?”

I can’t believe I didn’t spot that. O_o

As a side note I’ve just noticed in the image where Taka is hugging Kana from behind his hand is like…coming out of her chest…weird.

“Translated from Girlfriend: "Hi, I'm Yumi! Your son and I bang like rabbits!"

LOL. You’re funny. I might read more of your reviews in due time. I quite enjoyed this one .

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
5 years ago#23
Well, I'm glad to hear you finished your math exam before drifting off into thoughts about Kana... and I admit I'm rather curious to hear your reactions to the other endings of the game. So please keep posting!

It's great that your friend knew about KLS and knew you well enough to think that you might like it. I don't have any friends who live near me who know anything about bishoujo games or have ever played one.

I don’t think there’s anything the game can throw at us that’s worst than that one moment when you realize she’s dead while you distracted by the snow. =(

Hoo boy. Just... hoo boy. No comment. =)

There are some other bishoujo games that are worthwhile too, in my opinion, though none of them has ever touched me the way KLS did. Crescendo has some affecting moments, while admittedly suffering a bit from the fact that it has to split its attention between several girls. And Ever 17 has an amazing story and contains no adult content.

User Info: loressan

loressan
5 years ago#24
somehow i come here when i looking jastusa site today,actually back then i played kana in 2003 winter i remember clearly ,i dont know wich ending (i think brother going her grave and there is some recording from kanas voice) i going to back room and start crying a lot , my grandma was watching tv in saloon,later i managed the happy ending too but you know that there is other endings its not really make you happy,i just want to write here,actually its still make me cry now too,really big emotional game (1 game too actually make you shade in tears lost odyssey storys)i just want to write here my feeling.

User Info: SaturnineStupor

SaturnineStupor
5 years ago#25
This story makes me create an account here just to tell strangers how moved by it I am.. that is a very big deal for me.

I wonder why this can affect me so much, when I can personally relate to so little of it? I'm an only child. I've only ever had one friend in critical condition in the hospital, and that experience elicited different feelings. Is this something lying dormant inside all people? This 'big brother' instinct? I can only believe that I've been genetically programmed to be overwhelmed by emotion at the thought of having a little sister suffer pain and death.

Definitely an important life lesson for an only child, who will never experience these feelings through any medium except fiction. Like Grave of the Fireflies, I am of the camp that believes these stories should be mandated experienced by everyone. No matter a person's background or sensibilities regarding dark or erotic content. A more worthwhile expenditure of a handful of hours (or days) I can't think of.

Better to get it over with while I'm young.. there will likely be great tragedy of my own to face later in my life. I'm glad I discovered Kana while I was still brave enough to face it. I'm glad that having faced it, it has made me a little bit braver.

I take walks to train my body, to make me stronger. I solve logic puzzles to train my mind, to make me stronger. And I seek out experiences like this. Like Kana.

To train my spirit.

To make me stronger.

Darkling183
5 years ago#26
KLS certainly does touch a nerve in a lot of people. I don't think I've ever run across a reviewer who said that they were unmoved by the game's story, regardless of their attitude to the adult content or the incestuous theme. I think it's basically because the game tells a story about a boy who learns to become a better person in order to protect someone who completely and utterly deserves it.

Kana is so helpless and suffers so much, yet she's the kindest and gentlest person you could ever meet. There's no bitterness or nastiness to her character. I think it's only natural for the player to start wanting to take care of her and do their best for her, just as much as Taka does.

User Info: Muck0 Man

Muck0 Man
5 years ago#27
I just beat this just now for the first time as well and was not disappointed. I even cried which is so rare for a game to make me do. I must thank all you guys for intriguing me enough to give this game a chance.
PSN: McPistol
All time favorites: MGS3, Fallout 2, Morrowind, GTA: VC, OoT, Earthbound

redrosemagic
5 years ago#28
“Hoo boy. Just... hoo boy. No comment. =)”

…damn you.

Hey sorry it took me so long to post again. I’ve been having very busy lately with school and family. I’ve only had time to reach 2 other endings so I’ll make a small comment on each of them(If you want tell me what you thought of them or if there’s something I’m missing or overlooking):

Snow ending: I… didn’t like it, mainly because it just feels like a shorter version of ending 5. I did like the Parnassus plant symbolism. But I preferred the thought of Kana living on as a part of Cana.

Yumi ending: Every dog has its day it seems. I liked the way they portrayed Taka’s disconnection from reality, it was disturbing and distressing. I tried to appreciate Yumi helping him and pulling him out of his funk but I can’t help get the nagging feeling that she was just using his pain and his breakdown to get what she wanted. Well, that’s harsh… I guess I’m still sour. -.- I do like this ending better than Snow.

“i just want to write here my feeling.”

That’s what this board is here for. =) I’ve only played the game recently myself but as you’ve read it left a huge impact on me.

“This story makes me create an account here just to tell strangers how moved by it I am.. that is a very big deal for me.”

The more the merrier(Considering where we’re posting this might not be the most appropriate expression). As you’ve read I came here mainly to know how long that “initial impact” of the game lasted but sharing my story was also a part of it.

“I can only believe that I've been genetically programmed to be overwhelmed by emotion at the thought of having a little sister suffer pain and death.”

Well, I don’t have a little sister either, but I do have an older brother who I adore and am as close to as two people can be (We actually finish each other’s sentences sometimes, our relatives say were like an old married couple), just the thought of him being hurt makes me sick to my stomach. So in my opinion it isn’t really a “big brother instinct” just like my reaction isn’t a “little sister instinct”. The thought of somebody we really love being hurt is naturally abominable to anybody since pretty much everyone has somebody they can’t imagine living without. =)

“I take walks to train my body, to make me stronger. I solve logic puzzles to train my mind, to make me stronger. And I seek out experiences like this. Like Kana.

To train my spirit.

To make me stronger.”

…poetic. º_º

“Kana is so helpless and suffers so much, yet she's the kindest and gentlest person you could ever meet. There's no bitterness or nastiness to her character. I think it's only natural for the player to start wanting to take care of her and do their best for her, just as much as Taka does.”

You put it better than I ever could. I’ll mail you a cookie! =D

“I must thank all you guys for intriguing me enough to give this game a chance.”

It’s awesome that this board made you interested in playing the game! Kana needs more fans and more recognition. I can only hope that one day somebody reading my own experiences with the game will be made curious enough to play it.

Darkling183
5 years ago#29
Snow ending: I… didn’t like it, mainly because it just feels like a shorter version of ending 5.

That's pretty much why I don't like it either. If it had been my first ending, I think I would have been more affected by it. But since I did get Ending 5 beforehand, Ending 4 just feels like it gets cut off much too quickly.

Yumi ending: Every dog has its day it seems.

LOL. Poor Yumi. It took me a long time to come to understand and appreciate her, but I definitely wasn't trying to do that when I was still playing the game, so I think you must just be more forgiving than I am. ;)

That’s what this board is here for. =) I’ve only played the game recently myself but as you’ve read it left a huge impact on me.

You seem to have started a mini-avalanche of new KLS fans popping up out of the woodwork. It's practically unheard-of for three random people to show up and make their first post about the game in such quick succession. Whatever you're doing, keep it up!

You put it better than I ever could. I’ll mail you a cookie! =D

White chocolate and macadamia? Please? =)

I can only hope that one day somebody reading my own experiences with the game will be made curious enough to play it.

I think that's how word of the game will spread. Your friend introduced you to the game, and now you can do the same if you come across someone you think might be receptive to it.

User Info: NeutralDrow

NeutralDrow
5 years ago#30
This story makes me create an account here just to tell strangers how moved by it I am.. that is a very big deal for me.

I can sympathize. I've kinda gotten into the habit of doing that since I got involved in this genre as a whole, but not beforehand. Kana wasn't the first one to do it to me (that would be A Drug That Makes You Dream and Kanon), but it's the only one I feel comfortable about discussing its lasting impact on me.

Do you think there’s a chance that will ever change? I mean I’m sure most of the games of the genre aren’t worth any attention but it’s a shame that gems like Kana get so little attention, like I mentioned, I had no idea this game even existed until it was put in my hands.

I doubt it. These are niche even in Japan (barring the ones that get adapted to other media), let alone when they get exported. Hell, I only found the genre when I got curious about a fighting game I liked (Melty Blood, which led to me discovering and falling in love with Tsukihime).

LOL. The game should have given you the option to threaten Masa of dragging him out to the parking lot and giving it to him American History X style… ok that was harsh.

Yeah, I would have reserved that for those girls picking on Kana at school...though I think that was the flashbacks to A Drug That Makes You Dream (another good bishoujo game, and one I've reviewed) talking.

Fun fact: that game is actually co-written by Kana: Little Sister's writer (who also wrote Family Project and Cross+Channel).

I tried to appreciate Yumi helping him and pulling him out of his funk but I can’t help get the nagging feeling that she was just using his pain and his breakdown to get what she wanted. Well, that’s harsh… I guess I’m still sour. -.-

I admit, that never really occurred to me, partly because Yumi tended to be far more direct post-date rape, and partly because of the sheer amount of effort she put into it. Even with the moment of epiphany, she'd already put essentially months of effort into helping him recover, even after his parents had written him off. Sure, it was consistent with her pining for him for about ten years, but that utter determination wasn't an immutable part of her (some things can make her give up entirely).

In all, I was never comfortable with Yumi (partly for the...incident, partly because she distracted me from Kana), but I actually wound up appreciating her in the endings where she succeeds (there are three total).
"Oh man, we're in trouble!"
"Come now. The worst that can happen is we all die."
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. First playthrough

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived