First playthrough

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. First playthrough

User Info: redrosemagic

redrosemagic
5 years ago#31
“LOL. Poor Yumi. It took me a long time to come to understand and appreciate her, but I definitely wasn't trying to do that when I was still playing the game, so I think you must just be more forgiving than I am. ;)”

Not sure about that. I’m trying to give her a fair shake but this is honestly what I feel. That she wouldn’t have helped Taka is she didn’t think he’d stay with her after all that. Again I think I’m still a bitter.

“Whatever you're doing, keep it up!”

Keep sacrificing to the Elder Gods. Copy that.

^^ I don’t think I’ve done anything other than have good timing but it’s still awesome 4 new fans came to this board in such a quick succession.

“…and now you can do the same if you come across someone you think might be receptive to it.”

I think beforehand I’ll need to actually acquire a copy of the game, my friend did tell me to take all the time I need, but I suspect she will want it back at some point, besides I can’t really loan something that I don’t own. Link to a site where I can order it please? =P

“Yeah, I would have reserved that for those girls picking on Kana at school”

Absolutely. I’m as peaceful as a person can get but I washoping for the option “Kick their collective butts into next week!” I never thought a game would make me support having a boy punching a bunch of younger girls but...damn; I hated them at that point. -_-
“I admit, that never really occurred to me, partly because Yumi tended to be far more direct post-date rape, and partly because of the sheer amount of effort she put into it.”

Well, she’s smart enough to realize her usual methods wouldn’t work in this situation and changed them accordingly and as for the effort I felt she saw an excellent opportunity and worked steadily towards her goal. Finally having Taka body and soul would make for a powerful incentive for her.

Again this is just what I felt throughout the ending and I’ll be the first to admit that I’m at least a little biased against Yumi right now.

“… but I actually wound up appreciating her in the endings where she succeeds (there are three total).”

Don’t get me wrong, I really appreciate she put so much effort into dragging Taka back to sanity and I can sympathize with her to a point (up until the date rape point) but I felt she wasn’t being altruistic about it. Usual disclaimers about me being biased apply. ^^

“I doubt it. These are niche even in Japan (barring the ones that get adapted to other media), let alone when they get exported.”

Oh well. It’s a waste. So many people are looking for well told and touching stories and at the very least they should know KLS exists.

“…which led to me discovering and falling in love with Tsukihime.”

So would you recommend it?

Hello again! I’m back with two more endings, got them in two days straight.

Recollection: I felt kinda… cheated by this ending. Mainly because at one point I thought I had gotten the ending where she lived. I hated the way we find out she dies, the dream about Kana in college was just a cruel tease. Why tease us with the prospect of Taka and Kana's flowering relationship only to go "Trololo! She’s dead!”

We didn’t even got to be with her in the end. The recorder was…ok but I would really have preferred saying goodbye in person. And then he moves on… to Yumi? Why was she in this? She already got her own ending! Stop hogging the endings you date-raping floozy! >:[ (I’m kidding…I think.)

Live Now: This ending… is awesome. I loved this one. I absolutely did not want Kana to die, and I’m still pissed at Yumi, but if Kana had to die, this is a awesome way to end the game. And for some reason I’m much more ok with Taka moving on with Yumi here than in recollection or even in the Yumi ending. I don’t have any real logic to it, it just feels…”righter”(I know that’s not a word but I hope it got my point across.).

redrosemagic
5 years ago#32
Going for the last ending tomorrow.
I’m not nervous; that’s the wrong word. It’s more like anticipating, the excitement of a child on Christmas Eve just waiting for morning to come. It‘s holding your breath; it’s the moment when you realize the glass slipper fits; it’s making a wish just before blowing the candles out. It’s all those things. I think I’m going to burst. Eeek! ^^

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
5 years ago#33
You can buy the game here: http://www.jlist.com/product/GC002

It's cheaper at Play-Asia, but they don't have it in stock at the moment, and haven't had it for a couple of months now, it seems.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-11u-49-en-70-1xxk.html

I’m trying to give her a fair shake but this is honestly what I feel. That she wouldn’t have helped Taka is she didn’t think he’d stay with her after all that.

Yumi is a complicated little miss. I completely agree that she very rarely (if ever) does anything purely for 'I want to help Taka' reasons. There's almost always a (perhaps subconscious) 'maybe if I do this, he'll want me!' undertone to her actions.

However, I think that the fact that she longed for Taka for eight years without ever actually talking to him says something about the level of her feelings for (or obsession with) him. She's going to grab every little opportunity that comes along.

This isn't to defend Yumi, though. It's fine if you don't like her - I know I didn't for a very long time. =)

And then he moves on… to Yumi? Why was she in this? She already got her own ending! Stop hogging the endings you date-raping floozy! >:[

Catfight? Please? =)

I think both Taka and Kana were the 'healthiest' they could be in the intellectual endings. In helping to make Kana capable of dealing with her own mortality, I think Taka also gained a measure of the same strength. He didn't have to pour all of his last desperate hopes into the thought of a transplant operation while Kana herself was falling apart.

I feel that he cracked in the Yumi ending because he'd backed himself into a corner. His hopes for the transplant were all he had left, and he had nothing to keep himself going when the operation failed. Similarly, in Ending 2, I felt that losing Kana created such a hole in his life that he had to reach out and find the closest person available - Yumi.

In Ending 6, he's emotionally healthy. He's read Kana's diary and given vent to his grief, and he's moving on with his life in a constructive fashion. He's ready to be able to deal with Yumi in terms of who she is, not in the shadow of Kana.

Good luck with Ending 1! Can't wait to hear what you think about it. =)

redrosemagic
5 years ago#34
I’m sorry I took this long to post. I got sick. Really sick.

My temperature reached 39 Celsius. I couldn’t do much but lie in bed and moan. Everything I wore was soaked in sweat within a matter of minutes, and I just had to lay there in it, freezing and burning up at the same time. My lungs were on fire. I could barely eat anything because the smell made me nauseous.

And I got the one of the biggest scares of my life. My brother was taking care of me, bringing me water, making food I could keep down, dosing out medicine and monitoring my temperature, when I couldn't quite make it to the toilet and vomited on the floor, he cleaned it up. I fell asleep at 22h on Sunday, when I woke up in Monday at four in the afternoon I felt a lot better. I called for my brother, when he didn’t answer I got up and went to the living room. And I found him passed out on the couch and his skin was so hot it nearly scalded my hand. Turns out what they say about life flashing before your eyes is true, I saw a ton of moments we had together in less than a second (I think it was my subconscious’ way of saying “Help him you idiot!” while I was frozen in place). I was terrified and called 112 (911 equivalent of our country). Later in the hospital they said he had 45 Celsius fever (enough to damage the brain) and was severely dehydrated. After a battery of exams it turns out he’s ok. When he woke up he told me “I knew I was sick, I felt like absolute crap and just wanted to get in bed and sleep…but you were sick too. And just like that, my illness didn't matter. I had to grit my teeth and take care of you. Because that’s what I do.”

Part of me wanted to slap him for endangering himself like that, part of me wanted to slap myself for not noticing and all of me loved him more than ever. So yeah, pretty draining week I had and he only left that hospital two days later (The doctors say that the fact that he didn’t get brain damage and was even able to recover so soon was a testament to an excellent metabolism). Turns out since I’m the closest family member he has I’m allowed to be there pretty much all day, which I did. Screw school, all the tests are done anyway =P.

In short: Got sick and ended up only having the energy, time and inclination to play Kana yesterday.

As for the last ending:
Finally! She lives! I loved this ending for obvious reasons. I loved the love declaration; I adored the awkward way Taka tried to get out of sex (Always so concerned for her, he’s awesome) and the way Kana basically put her foot down on the subject. I loved the little sample of domestic bliss we get now that Kana is home for good. I didn’t love has much the fact that she left, but I kinda get why she did it, being completely dependent on somebody and wanting to make sure you can stand on your own two feet. Of course I assume after she got situated in her new apartment and her new career, that she and Taka still dated (And eventually got married) but I wanted to actually see them to get married and have a boatload of happy, healthy babies. Oh well, unless there’s a sequel that nobody bothered to mention to me so far that scenario is left to the imagination.

Side story:
I thought that this was a great addition to the game, as it gives us a look at Taka's life post-Kana. Great use of symbolism and the tie-in with little Cana makes this something really special. Not quite as good as having Kana alive, but it makes us feel better knowing that Taka has already come this far, and we know what he goes on to do from Ending 6 (Other than Yumi =P).

Thank you for the link Darkling!

“This isn't to defend Yumi, though. It's fine if you don't like her - I know I didn't for a very long time. =)”

Oh, free feel to defend her. There is many ways you can interpret and feel about her actions; I certainly don’t think my interpretation should be universal, much less my feelings.

“Catfight? Please? =)”

*Disapproving look* ... no.

redrosemagic
5 years ago#35
“I think both Taka and Kana were the 'healthiest' they could be in the intellectual endings. In helping to make Kana capable of dealing with her own mortality, I think Taka also gained a measure of the same strength. He didn't have to pour all of his last desperate hopes into the thought of a transplant operation while Kana herself was falling apart.”

0_0 I bow before your mastery of KLS. Really, your interpretations are awesome.

Well. I guess that’s it. This game is amazing and it was one hell of a journey. I never thought I could care so much about fictional characters. But here I am. Thanks for the support everyone, particularly Darkling and NeutralDrow. Your insights are very interesting and helped me put various aspects of the game in perspective. If anybody has more insights or a different view I’d love to hear it.

Once again, thanks everyone. =D

Darkling183
5 years ago#36
I'm glad that your brother is better and that there wasn't any permanent damage. A temperature of 45 degrees is just insane! O_o

You two seem to have a very close bond, which is great. It might even be of Taka-Kana proportions!

Of course I assume after she got situated in her new apartment and her new career, that she and Taka still dated (And eventually got married)

Oh good, you're a 'glass is half full' person. For some reason, when I first got Ending 1, I was convinced that Kana was ending it 'forever' and that they would never be together again. Of course, I've since come to understand that the game leaves it conspicuously ambiguous whether they ever will - probably as a point for discussion. But at that point in my KLS experience, I just wanted the full-bore 21-gun Happy Ending™, so Ending 1 was quite upsetting to me.

Oh well, unless there’s a sequel that nobody bothered to mention to me so far that scenario is left to the imagination.

Well, there isn't an official sequel (just a couple of Japanese-only remakes), but there is fanfic out there:

http://www.the-z-projects.com/kana/

“Catfight? Please? =)”

*Disapproving look* ... no.

Awww.

Really, your interpretations are awesome.

LOL, well, I first played the game seven years ago, so I've had a lot of time to think about it and come up with interpretations that make sense to me. I managed to come to understand Yumi a little more, and (as I mentioned) realised how open-ended Ending 1 actually is. Perspective works wonders. =)

redrosemagic
5 years ago#37
“You two seem to have a very close bond, which is great. It might even be of Taka-Kana proportions!”

Yeah. We were always very different but yet always extremely close. And after we lost our parents we became even closer. He sacrificed going to college so we’d stay together and he works like hell so I can go to college next year. He essentially became the bread winner of the family so we wouldn’t be separated. I know that if I was ever sick he would do all in his power to take care of me (And I’d do anything to take care of him if the situations were reversed). He is the best part of me. I love him with all my hearth.

And I just realized a spent a full paragraph gushing about my brother… moving on.

“I was convinced that Kana was ending it 'forever' and that they would never be together again.”

It never seemed that way to me. I felt that she needed to do two things before fully committing into a life-long relationship with him:

1- To see if could make it in the world without his support, to prove to herself that she’s strong enough to stand on her own.
2- She needed to establish herself as more than “Taka’s little sister”. She needed to grow a bit without his influence and see what kind of person she is.
3-
After doing that I have no doubt they got back together. And had 3 or 4 kids. ^^

“I just wanted the full-bore 21-gun Happy Ending™,”

Me too. I have no doubt that it happened further down the line (I’ll hunt down everybody who says it didn’t >:[ )but we didn’t really get to see it.

“Well, there isn't an official sequel (just a couple of Japanese-only remakes), but there is fanfic out there”

This looks awesome. I’m downloading it right now. And it says in the website there’s two other fanfics you’ve written (Thanks for that btw), are those stand alone or are they sequels to this one?

“LOL, well, I first played the game seven years ago”

Wow I never felt more like a newbie. But good thing there’s such wizened fan around to put things in perspective. Heck with your help I might even warm up a bit to Yumi…miiiiight.

“and (as I mentioned) realised how open-ended Ending 1 actually is”

Good sir, I have no idea what you are talking about. There is no open ending. She left so she could come back latter and resume their relationship and making it stronger than ever. That is set in stone; I refuse to acknowledge any other scenario.

^^

Darkling183
5 years ago#38
And after we lost our parents we became even closer. He sacrificed going to college so we’d stay together and he works like hell so I can go to college next year. He essentially became the bread winner of the family so we wouldn’t be separated.

This is essentially what happens to the protagonist in Crescendo, except the gender roles are reversed (ie it's an older sister looking after the younger brother). I definitely recommend playing that game if this notion speaks to you in the slightest.

are those stand alone or are they sequels to this one?

The second one follows on directly from the first one (it picks up just a few hours later), but the third one picks up a lot later and is definitely more tragic than the first two.

But good thing there’s such wizened fan around to put things in perspective.

Thanks, now I feel ancient! "When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good you will not!" =P

Good sir, I have no idea what you are talking about. There is no open ending. She left so she could come back latter and resume their relationship and making it stronger than ever.

Exactly. I have no idea what I was talking about either! Kana was always going to come back to Taka. That's the way it was always meant to be!

redrosemagic
5 years ago#39
Wow. This fanfic is lovely. Darkling, are you sure you weren’t one of the original KLS writers? ^^

It felt like a natural extension of the story. Of course in my head she wouldn’t have been so hesitant to get back together with Taka but hey, that’s just my interpretation of the ending.

I shower you with praise although I’m still pissed at you that you did that to Taka. :P You are a very good writer and like I said, this feels natural with the story which is quite a feat. More cookies to you! ^^

PS: I just love Kana calling Taka “dirty boy”. It’s so cute!

“The second one follows on directly from the first one (it picks up just a few hours later), but the third one picks up a lot later and is definitely more tragic than the first two.”

Um… is it alright I don’t read the third one for like… months? I’m kinda gunning for the cliché “and they lived happily ever after” ending. I’m sure it’s well written, but want to give myself a break.

“This is essentially what happens to the protagonist in Crescendo, except the gender roles are reversed (ie it's an older sister looking after the younger brother). I definitely recommend playing that game if this notion speaks to you in the slightest.”

It sounds awesome. I’ll be sure to purchase it in due time. But once again that’s for the future; first and foremost I need a copy of KLS. What more can you tell me about it without being spoilerific?

“Thanks, now I feel ancient! "When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good you will not!" =P”

I’m sure you don’t look a day over eight hundred master Darkling. *Respectful bow* ^_^

Darkling183
5 years ago#40
Of course in my head she wouldn’t have been so hesitant to get back together with Taka but hey, that’s just my interpretation of the ending.

I actually agree with you on this point now. At the time, though, I was so wrapped up in 'glass is half empty' mode that I was sure the game was definitely stating that Taka and Kana would never get together again. So I had to work harder to justify Kana's change of heart to myself.

I just love Kana calling Taka “dirty boy”. It’s so cute!

I love it too. It makes me smile whenever she does it in the game.

Um… is it alright I don’t read the third one for like… months? I’m kinda gunning for the cliché “and they lived happily ever after” ending. I’m sure it’s well written, but want to give myself a break.

Oh, definitely. I actually don't mind if you never read it, if you want to avoid the emotional turmoil. As you know, Zero has never read the second or third fanfics.

I know that KLS fans want the wish fulfilment of Kana and Taka being back together and living happily ever after. The third fanfic was just something I had to write so I could get over Kana and move on.

What more can you tell me about it without being spoilerific?

It's different to KLS in that it has five girls you can have a romance with. The protagonist's name is Ryo Sasaki - he's in his final year of high school and will be graduating in a few days. The game centres around him taking stock of his high school days (via flashbacks) and coming to realise which of the girls around him is most important to him.

Each of the girl's paths is shorter than a path in KLS (though admittedly there's a lot of repetition between the paths in KLS), but there's a lot of story and emotion packed into each one. The sex scenes are nicely integrated into the plot and generally come after you've gotten together with the girl in question.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. First playthrough

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived