First playthrough

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. First playthrough

User Info: redrosemagic

redrosemagic
5 years ago#41
ďSo I had to work harder to justify Kana's change of heart to myself.Ē

And Iím glad you did because it came turned out great in the fic . Iíll admit that Kana calling a year latter and saying ďHey bro, I feel Iíve grown out of your shadow and proven to myself I can live without you, wanna go out next Friday night?Ē doesnít pack as much punch as Kana agonizing over her need for Taka.

ďOh, definitely. I actually don't mind if you never read it, if you want to avoid the emotional turmoil.Ē

Oh, Iíll read it. EventuallyÖ. Maybe ^^.

ďThe game centres around him taking stock of his high school days (via flashbacks) and coming to realise which of the girls around him is most important to him.Ē

I must admit that that description kinda puts me off. I donít think Iíd buy it if I stumble across it on my own accord but Iíll trust your judgment.

BTW Happy holidays Darkling (And everyone else)!

Sorry I couldnít post before Christmas but it was kind of a frantic (but wonderful) time for me. We have 9 cousins so we all gathered at our grandmotherís house (her house is practically a mansion) for a few days before Christmas (So the younger generation of the family could catch up). It was lovely. =D

Happy new year!

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
5 years ago#42
I must admit that that description kinda puts me off. I donít think Iíd buy it if I stumble across it on my own accord but Iíll trust your judgment.

Well, unfortunately most bishoujo games run along those lines - protagonist surrounded by multiple girls and chooses one. The game may not be your cup of tea, but hey, at least you can say you gave it a try. =)

Merry Christmas to you too. Did you get lots of presents?

(Also, w00t, 42nd post!)

User Info: NeutralDrow

NeutralDrow
5 years ago#43
This is essentially what happens to the protagonist in Crescendo, except the gender roles are reversed (ie it's an older sister looking after the younger brother). I definitely recommend playing that game if this notion speaks to you in the slightest.

...I started thinking of something particularly horrible when you said that, but I'll assume that's not what you were going for. o_O

I was the other way around with Crescendo, to be honest. I was intrigued by the premise and disappointed by the execution. I actually reviewed that, too, if you wanted the long-winded explanation, but I don't think I'd recommend avoiding it. Like this:

The game may not be your cup of tea, but hey, at least you can say you gave it a try. =)

Much like the ethical axis embodied in my name, I stay neutral on the matter: I didn't like it much (barring one route that was perfect barring a brick wall where the resolution should have been, and another that was okay...and a surprisingly good hidden route that has basically nothing to do with the rest of the game), but I can see why people like it, and don't come out for or against.

And if I swayed you in any way...I'll consider it my revenge against these guys for trying to keep me from playing Family Project.
"Oh man, we're in trouble!"
"Come now. The worst that can happen is we all die."

redrosemagic
5 years ago#44
ďThe game may not be your cup of tea, but hey, at least you can say you gave it a try. =)Ē

You should try everything once except crime and British cuisine right? ^^ Iíll certainly give it a go.

ďMerry Christmas to you too. Did you get lots of presents?Ē

Yep and good ones, having an extended family does have its perks: Brand new laptop, every single work of Oscar Wilde that was ever published (I just love his work) and several additions to my music collection (including 3 Deep Purple albums) and a various dresses and clothes, I wonít bore you with details but they are awesome =D. And my brother got the three Twilight movies and their respective Rifftrax, which is also a gift for me since Iíll watch the hell out of them too. The worst movies always give place to the best riffing. I feel so spoiled ^^.

ď(Also, w00t, 42nd post!)Ē

Hum, is there some running joke Iím just not in on? =P Why is the 42nd post worth celebrating?

ď...I started thinking of something particularly horrible when you said that, but I'll assume that's not what you were going for. o_OĒ

Damn you. Now I really want to know, yet I donít. Iím guessing this game has a really dark tone.

ďI actually reviewed that, too, if you wanted the long-winded explanation, but I don't think I'd recommend avoiding itĒ

Link please? =P. I know, I know Iím lazy, I just donít want to go dig around to find it. And you havenít really swayed me, sorry. ^^. Iím still curious about it(Mainly due to Darklingís recommendation) and I will play it when I can. If I donít enjoy it Iíll be sure to tell you you were right.

Darkling183
5 years ago#45
Cool, a brand new laptop sounds great. =)

Hum, is there some running joke Iím just not in on? =P Why is the 42nd post worth celebrating?

It's just a Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference, not a KLS board in-joke, so don't worry, you're not missing out on anything except me being a bit too esoteric, I guess...

Iím still curious about it (Mainly due to Darklingís recommendation) and I will play it when I can. If I donít enjoy it Iíll be sure to tell you you were right.

Sheesh, now I'm going to feel guilty if you don't like it. But people do see different things in different games. A lot of 'classics' out there leave me completely cold, and I also find merit in things that other people turn their noses up at. Like Drow, I try to stay neutral and not insist that something is good just because I happen to like it. I guess it just comes down to finding people who have similar tastes to you and whose opinions of things are close to your own, and also being open to new experiences at the same time.

NeutralDrow
5 years ago#46
Damn you. Now I really want to know, yet I donít. Iím guessing this game has a really dark tone.

Oddly enough, not really. It can get dark...hell, one route focuses on a character with a horrifying backstory who also gets an incredibly dark twist (it was also almost the best route in the game, save for the steel wall in place of true resolution), but overall the game's not that dark. It gets angsty, oh my yes, like you wouldn't believe, but not really dark.

I was just thinking of an aspect of the main character's relationship with his older sister. I won't spoil it, but...let's just say they do have a potential relationship, but it's not handled with anywhere near the amount of class or taste as Kana and Taka's.

It's also not as believable, to the point where it kind of overwhelmed the main conflict in the route.

Link please? =P. I know, I know Iím lazy, I just donít want to go dig around to find it. And you havenít really swayed me, sorry. ^^. Iím still curious about it(Mainly due to Darklingís recommendation) and I will play it when I can. If I donít enjoy it Iíll be sure to tell you you were right.

Well, I brook no illusions about my being a closet egotist, so I have no problem with that. Here you go...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.237875-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Crescendo

...with the usual caveat reminder that I am very in love with the sound of my own voice (it's not as bad some of my others for length, but still). If you really plan to play, do not click the spoiler box in the Story section. Also, I think I might actually give away what I was trying to not spoil earlier about Ryo and his sister, but you actually find out really early in her route what happened between them, so it's not that bad.

My opinion on the game hasn't changed much since I wrote that, but there is one thing: in retrospect, the soundtrack worked much better than I gave it credit. Listening to random pieces of it nowadays, I can even recall my original enthusiasm and expectations when first playing. Same goes for the Kana review, actually; I was much too harsh on its soundtrack while reviewing.

Also, I don't usually tell people this about my reviews (I like it to be kind of a secret, easter egg deal), but...try mousing over the pictures. That applies to all my reviews (including the Kana one).

redrosemagic
5 years ago#47
ďt's just a Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy referenceĒ

Hereís a series Iím somewhat curious about and yet I have no idea where to start. I know of it, but never read one of the novels, listened to the radio show or watched the TV show/Stage Show/ Movie. Am I missing out on something really great? If so, where should I start?

ďI guess it just comes down to finding people who have similar tastes to you and whose opinions of things are close to your own, and also being open to new experiences at the same timeĒ

Oh, no need to be guilty; I can see these emotional bishoujo games arenít like other games. They depend a lot more on the impact of the story and that will always be different from person to person. But I do value your input and the worst thing NeutralDrow said was that it gave him mixed feelings. If he said he hated it with a passion Iíd be more ambivalent, but I think Iíll put this game on my ďwish listĒ and get it when I can.

ďI was just thinking of an aspect of the main character's relationship with his older sister. I won't spoil it, but...let's just say they do have a potential relationship, but it's not handled with anywhere near the amount of class or taste as Kana and Taka's.Ē

Well to be honest that is a LOT to expect. KLS is a gem among games so I wonít go into other games demanding the same level of skill and taste in handling such a hard subject, as long as it isnít too tastelessÖ

ďÖ and the fact that the game requires you, the player, to actually choose to follow through with a rape if you want the good endingÖĒ

0_o

Weíll that shut me up. Damn, you need to do something like that to get the good ending?! If I was playing the game I suspect Iíd never figure that out on my own. Just the thought makes me wretch. Iím sure it has some context but I suspect Ayameís good ending will be left for lastÖ or never. =P I think Iím going to get up now and make my brother some hot chocolate as appreciation for being so kind and thoughtful and caring and not a rapist.

Iím not even kidding, weirdly enough reading that just made me have a surge of affection for my brother, I actually did get up from my desk and made him a nice cup of chocolate, gave him a kiss and hugged him a bit( He was ďwatching the Discovery channelĒ which is code for dozing off on the couch ^^). Strange (Not that I donít have unexpected bursts of affection but that something like this would trigger one). Oh well, moving on.

ď...with the usual caveat reminder that I am very in love with the sound of my own voice (it's not as bad some of my others for length, but still).Ē

Oh, youíd have to make a TREMENDOUS effort to write something Iíd have difficulty finishing, =) besides reading really fast, Iíve got a lot of endurance even when reading a something I donít like, Iíve read the 4 Inheritance books by Christopher Paolini despite finding each one of them horrible ( I did so I could better argue with a friend of mine who was a fan, petty, I know ^^). Besides, I really like your writing style.

ďAlso, I don't usually tell people this about my reviews (I like it to be kind of a secret, easter egg deal), but...try mousing over the pictures. That applies to all my reviews (including the Kana one).Ē

Oh, the hidden texts? I already found them in the Kana review, I was trying to get one of the pictures to enlarge =P.

NeutralDrow
5 years ago#48
Yeah, it takes a fair bit to make me hate something. The only eroge so far that's managed to do so is Xchange.

...granted, that's only because I will never, ever play Virgin Roster, I only got 15 minutes into Rapelay before expunging it from my computer and my mind (and taking a scalding shower), and I refuse to even think about Pro Lesring Ring Out.

Weíll that shut me up. Damn, you need to do something like that to get the good ending?!

I guess in all fairness I should point out that that's kind of an oversimplification. The scene has some really weird circumstances complicating it. And from what I understand, the Bad Ending isn't really bad.

I actually did get up from my desk and made him a nice cup of chocolate, gave him a kiss and hugged him a bit

Hm hm, that is pretty sweet. ^_^

He was ďwatching the Discovery channelĒ which is code for dozing off on the couch ^^

<_<

>_>

..."you and me, baby, ain't nothing but mamm-"

*punches own face*

Ow...I'm sorry, I couldn't resist... v_v

Oh, youíd have to make a TREMENDOUS effort to write something Iíd have difficulty finishing, =) besides reading really fast, Iíve got a lot of endurance even when reading a something I donít like, Iíve read the 4 Inheritance books by Christopher Paolini despite finding each one of them horrible ( I did so I could better argue with a friend of mine who was a fan, petty, I know ^^). Besides, I really like your writing style.

Oh, thank you! ^_^

...is it weird that I almost feel like trying to bore you as a challenge? Never mind, I can answer that myself. If you really wanted an endurance test, you could try this one. It was before I got a grasp of doing my own editing. Even I get bored reading through it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.146260-Neutral-Drow-reviews-Heart-de-Roommate

Not the longest I've done, but...Soulbringer isn't a visual novel, and a review of the first three Devil May Cry games would be cheating. >_>

Darkling183
5 years ago#49
Hereís a series Iím somewhat curious about and yet I have no idea where to start.

Well, to me the definitive version is the first six episodes of the radio series. That's where the series started before being adapted into novels and movies etc. I'm pretty sure they're available as 'The Primary Phase' or something like that.

Failing that, the first couple of novels ('The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe') are good as well. The quality of the third and fourth books is somewhat spotty, in my opinion, but I generally liked the fifth one.

Third - Life, the Universe and Everything
Fourth - So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Fifth - Mostly Harmless

Well that shut me up. Damn, you need to do something like that to get the good ending?! If I was playing the game I suspect Iíd never figure that out on my own.

Well, perhaps Crescendo might not be for you, then. There are some dark scenes involving non-consensual sex in the game, though they always add to the emotional depth of the characters involved. But it's fine if that sort of thing just isn't your cup of tea.

Another bishoujo game with an amazing story that I like to recommend to people is Ever 17. It has no adult scenes, but a really involved storyline and backstory that I found gripping as they unfolded.

I actually did get up from my desk and made him a nice cup of chocolate, gave him a kiss and hugged him a bit

Aww, that's sweet. I wish I had a little sister too, sometimes. =)

NeutralDrow
5 years ago#50
Well, perhaps Crescendo might not be for you, then. There are some dark scenes involving non-consensual sex in the game, though they always add to the emotional depth of the characters involved. But it's fine if that sort of thing just isn't your cup of tea.

I wouldn't really go that far. I only found the two, one of which had some really weird circumstances about the "non-consensual" part (though it didn't vindicate the characters, to my thinking), and the other of which was the incredibly dark one (which was treated believably, and with the horror it rightly deserved). This isn't something like Hitomi: My Stepsister or Tsuki: Possession; I wouldn't say there's enough rape for it to be a dissuading factor.

...granted, according to the scene player, I missed two sex scenes. From what I've seen in CG galleries, I know I missed one involving Kaho, and the other...is there a scene of nonconsensual sex between Ryo and Yuka? I opted not to invite her to a hotel, which is the only possibility I think I missed.

Unless I'm mistaking that scene for one of the extras included in all those alternate routes that show up in all the online galleries that someone for whatever ungodly reason opted to not include in the official English release of the game you bastards, why?! I could have saved her, I COULD HAVE SAVED HER-!!

Well, okay, so I don't know that for sure. But I hope so (much like I hope that people automatically realize that I only scream in text as a joke), because if I were to hope about anything in the game, it's that a happier ending waited for her than..."Please, forget about me."

MEGA-COLOSSAL SPOILER IMAGE
http://i39.tinypic.com/350s10j.jpg

*sniff*
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. First playthrough

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived