First playthrough

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. First playthrough

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
5 years ago#61
Even with the scholarships I’m entitled to, and they are quite a few

So you've finished high school now? Sounds like you're quite the smart cookie if you've netted a few scholarships. =)

You may have a case of big brother worship (or brocon as the Japanese call it - short for 'brother complex'), but it sounds like your brother has an equal case of siscon to go with it. He obviously loves you and wants to look after you for as long as necessary. And I'm sure you'll return that love for the rest of your life. (Ready, everyone? Awwwwwwww.)

Outside of my best friend getting drunk with only two drinks (Turns out she’s even more lightweight than me =P) and trying to make out with my brother

Well, sounds like she might want to be the Yumi in the equation. ;)

User Info: redrosemagic

redrosemagic
5 years ago#62
“So you've finished high school now? Sounds like you're quite the smart cookie if you've netted a few scholarships. =)”

I’m not sure how the system works in your respective countries so I’ll explain how it does in mine. I’m in the last year of high school, the 12th grade. If we want certain scholarships for college we have to apply in the end of the11th grade. My average was 18.2 out of 20 (The third highest in the school) up until last year. If I want to receive the scholarships I applied to I need to maintain or improve my average. If the first period (The school term is divided in 3 periods a few months each) is anything to go by I should actually improve my average. =) And yes, I am smart. ^^

And if your school system is the same sorry for wasting your time with this explanation I just wanted to be clear. =)

“You may have a case of big brother worship (or brocon as the Japanese call it - short for 'brother complex')”

Brother complex… that was the term my ex-boyfriend used to say. It pissed me off because he would say it pretty much I would go do something with my brother instead of him. He was quite literally jealous of my brother. How needy is that? -_- Near the end of the relationship we basically had this conversation:

“Sometimes it looks like you love your brother more than you love me!”

“That’s because I do.”

“but it sounds like your brother has an equal case of siscon to go with it.””

Us against the world. Whatever happens we’ll make it through. Together. ^^

“He obviously loves you and wants to look after you for as long as necessary. And I'm sure you'll return that love for the rest of your life. (Ready, everyone? Awwwwwwww.)”

I suspect he’ll be trying to take care of me long after it’s not necessary. And it will be quite welcome. I love it when he dotes on me. And I love doting on him. ^^

“Well, sounds like she might want to be the Yumi in the equation. ;)”

LOL. That’s mean to her. She isn’t nearly as obsessed, or date rape-y. Although it is annoying when she comes over and it’s obvious she did it more to try to spend time with my brother then with me. -.- She’s been crushing on him for about 5 months now, he politely pretends not to notice. Although I do think he’s getting a bit annoyed with her at this point. He basically asked me what he could do to get her to move on. Her attempted make out session with my brother led to this exchange later:

“As she stop trying to shove her tongue down your throat?”

“Yeah, she finally gave up. What am I going to do with this girl?”

“I think she has several ideas on what you can do with her…”

“I’ll rephrase that. Because I’m not going to do nothing WITH the girl, but it’s obvious something needs to be done ABOUT the girl.”

“Oh just ignore her. Remember when I had a crush on my History teacher? The allure of the wise, strong, older man is great, but I got over her and so will she.”

I do love teasing her about it though. Her little stunt and New Year’s eve will give me teasing material for weeks. ^^

User Info: NeutralDrow

NeutralDrow
5 years ago#63
*only child* *no frame of reference*

snip

Thank you. That's...actually pretty validating. And I'm glad to know someone actually got the Linkara reference. Love his stuff.

Bring. It. On.

If you insist! I will...wait. I'm getting complimented about my writing by someone I don't speak with regularly, and I'm striving to get them to admit my writing is bad. It's suddenly striking me how incongruous that is. >_>

Just to counteract that, I offer this sandwich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uORxfNQ0qyE&feature=related

...what? It's not a song, it's a sandwich. Really.

Anyway, if you were genuinely curious...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.178061-Off-Topic-Reviews-Soulbringer
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.158447-Off-Topic-Reviews-Devil-May-Cry-series
"Oh man, we're in trouble!"
"Come now. The worst that can happen is we all die."

Darkling183
5 years ago#64
I’m not sure how the system works in your respective countries so I’ll explain how it does in mine.

Thanks, that clears things up a bit. I figured that 12th grade would be the final year of high school, but I wasn't sure how you went about applying for scholarships over there.

He was quite literally jealous of my brother. How needy is that? -_-

Very needy, yes. Some people want to be the centre of their partner's world, and feel threatened by anything or anyone that's more important than them. I guess that's one reason he's now your 'ex' boyfriend?

She’s been crushing on him for about 5 months now, he politely pretends not to notice.

Hmm. Any idea what she sees in him? Hopefully if she continues to get no response from him, she'll figure it out and move on. =)

redrosemagic
5 years ago#65
“Thank you. That's...actually pretty validating. And I'm glad to know someone actually got the Linkara reference. Love his stuff.”

I enjoy it too; although I’ve never read a comic book in my life (I’m serious. Not even once) I enjoy watching him tearing bad ones apart. I also watch Spoony even though he barely updates.

“It's suddenly striking me how incongruous that is. >_>”

Not at all. I challenged you to bore me and you love a challenge, no? =P

“...what? It's not a song, it's a sandwich. Really.”

I don’t … I don’t even…

I have no idea how to respond to that. ^^

“RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!”

Was this a Monthy Python reference? You’ll get a cookie if it was. ^^

“there's something lovably ridiculous in running from a pack of vampires, scarfing a few roasted chickens in three seconds, and leaping back into the fray”
LOL. RPG logic,: eating heals near death injury in instants!

“You could kill me with a supersoaker!”

I’m having Shadowrun flashbacks…

“Dante seems to get hotter with each passing game...”

Nah, he just showed more skin in the third one. That smoldering gaze in the second ones cover takes home the prize. *quivers*

Was that it NeutralDrow? Pff, you are not worthy as my opponent. ^^

“Very needy, yes. Some people want to be the centre of their partner's world, and feel threatened by anything or anyone that's more important than them. I guess that's one reason he's now your 'ex' boyfriend?”

Indeed. That and his completely lack of trust in me. I understand why he did so; he had two girlfriends who cheated on him. He never had a reason to trust in his earlier relationships, so his default position was to assume the worst. If you try to pet 49 stray cats, and all of them embed their claws in your forearm, you're going to assume that the 50th will, too

My track record did nothing to assuage his suspicions. He once freaked out because I took 30 minutes to get to his house and it usually took me 25, even with the time stamped bus ticket, he just KNEW I took those 5 extra minutes to have a quickie on the side. If I said I had to study until late? “Yeah studying some dude's d***!”

And in the end no relationship can survive that. I’m not saying mistrust is always inaccurate but I'm saying that if the mistrust is there, the relationship is screwed either way. Either they're not trustworthy, or you're not secure enough to let your guard down even if they are.

“Hmm. Any idea what she sees in him? Hopefully if she continues to get no response from him, she'll figure it out and move on. =)”

She tells me “You’d know if you weren’t related.” Well, it’s just a silly crush, I’ve had a few of those, she’ll get over it in time. I know I did. I think everyone has.

Darkling183
5 years ago#66
I understand why he did so; he had two girlfriends who cheated on him. He never had a reason to trust in his earlier relationships, so his default position was to assume the worst.

Yes, I understand that sort of thinking. I had two less-than-positive relationships when I first started out, and at the time I found myself drawing conclusions from them that weren't at all true. Over time, though, I came to realise that the only real conclusion I could draw from those relationships was that those people weren't right for me. It just meant I need to be more aware of what I really want in a relationship, rather than just jumping into one with someone randomly, because they're there and they're available.

I often wonder if Yumi felt the same way. Having 'failed' with Taka, was she unable to get over that fact? She does seem to have some insecurities behind her brash exterior.

And in the end no relationship can survive that. I’m not saying mistrust is always inaccurate but I'm saying that if the mistrust is there, the relationship is screwed either way.

Exactly. You have to find someone you can trust implicitly. *gives you a cookie*

She tells me “You’d know if you weren’t related.”

True. Westermarck effect usually does its job pretty well. I certainly don't think my sister is hot. But that's probably because she isn't. (Sorry, sis.) =)

redrosemagic
5 years ago#67
“It just meant I need to be more aware of what I really want in a relationship, rather than just jumping into one with someone randomly, because they're there and they're available.”

Well, since most of us don't find our "true love" on the first shot, we're cursed to endure attempt after attempt at connecting with people who we normally wouldn't allow into our house, let alone our personal, emotional space. But that’s the thing; qualities that make a good relationship aren’t obvious at first glance. We may share the same taste in music, but he might turn out to be controlling and jealous. She might be really into you but maybe she’s incredibly petty and vindictive. The other person might be your opposite in everything but after we get past the superiority of “They listen to that type of music because they wouldn’t understand mine” is when we start knowing the person beyond what’s on the surface. And it’s there that a relationships success is determined. The only way to find out is keep going. .

Wow, I'm being so deep today. ^^

“I often wonder if Yumi felt the same way. Having 'failed' with Taka, was she unable to get over that fact? She does seem to have some insecurities behind her brash exterior”

I know a girl like Yumi, In-Your-Face attitude but deeply insecure once you know them a bit. It’s an act, a phony version of themselves they send on anything social on their behalf. A wall to shield themselves, if the brash exterior is rejected then there is less pain involved for them because it wasn’t the real “them” rejected.

Of course this is all speculation; I’d never claim any authority in psychological issues. ^^

“Exactly. You have to find someone you can trust implicitly. *gives you a cookie*”

Yay! Cookie! Thank you! =)

“True. Westermarck effect usually does its job pretty well.”

To be fair I’m aware my brother is hot (Or desirable or fit or whatever) but mainly because I’ve been told he’s hot. Comments and actions by my friends (My best friend isn’t the first of my friends to have a crush on him), he always has a few women after him, when walking down the street together I notice women staring at him quite shamelessly (My initial reaction is always the same: Why are all those girl looking at me? Then I notice they are staring slightly at my side). Just the other day we were entering a supermarket while holding hands and one of the cashiers shot me a look that I can only describe as a “You lucky b****” look. But the idea of me desiring him or looking at him and thinking he’s hot just strikes me as… impossible. It just can’t happen. I’m not even sure I’m making sense. -.-

“I certainly don't think my sister is hot. But that's probably because she isn't. (Sorry, sis.) =)”

Ohh, don’t be mean to your sister. ^^ I’m sure she’s a very nice girl (Or women, I don’t want to make assumptions about her age).

Darkling183
5 years ago#68
But that’s the thing; qualities that make a good relationship aren’t obvious at first glance. <snip> The only way to find out is keep going. .

Wow, I'm being so deep today. ^^

Yes, I thought so too. *hands you more cookies*

if the brash exterior is rejected then there is less pain involved for them because it wasn’t the real “them” rejected.

Wow, that's very insightful. Have you ever thought about writing stories? You write very well, and you seem to have a real knack for understanding characters,

But the idea of me desiring him or looking at him and thinking he’s hot just strikes me as… impossible. It just can’t happen. I’m not even sure I’m making sense. -.-

Oh, it makes complete sense to me. It's the same with me and my sister. I can't imagine ever feeling that way about her.

Of course, if siblings aren't brought up in close proximity early on in life, then the chances are actually greater that they'll be sexually attracted to each other if they meet later in life. There was an anime series about that, called Koi Kaze. The protagonist starts to fall in love with his younger sister after she moves in with him and his father, after having lived apart for most of her life. It was quite an emotionally fraught situation, as you can imagine.

redrosemagic
5 years ago#69
“Yes, I thought so too. *hands you more cookies*”

You spoil me, I’m gonna have to swim a lot to burn all this off. =P

“Wow, that's very insightful. Have you ever thought about writing stories? You write very well, and you seem to have a real knack for understanding characters,”

Not really, most of my writing experience comes from schoolwork, the most I’ve done is write a few poems. Most sucked, there’s one or two I liked. ^^ Just never really had the impulse to write a story. But thank you very much for the compliment. =3

“I can't imagine ever feeling that way about her.”

Yeah, my brain just goes “Does not compute”.

“Of course, if siblings aren't brought up in close proximity early on in life, then the chances are actually greater that they'll be sexually attracted to each other if they meet later in life. “

Genetic Sexual Attraction right? The teacher mentioned it in passing last week. Since we basically want our children to be as similar to us as possible (Even if subconsciously) we will be more inclined to have a longer relationship with people who look more like us, and our family tends to look a lot like us. Did I get this right?

I found the way the teacher explained it to me to be very… original, I went to her after class because I didn’t quite get it, she explained it this way:

Teacher: “Hmm, describe your ideal man.”

Me: “Well… about my height, maybe a bit taller, wiry, handsome, same sense of humor, hazel eyes (like mine), dirty blonde hair (Again, like mine), has no problem in sharing the housework and if he does a sport at a regular basis (I swim twice a week) it would be a nice plus, I like men who work out regularly.”

Teacher: “Tell me, how many of those requirements does your brother fulfill?”

Me: “ …

…"

Teacher: "Well?"

Me: "…all of them.(0_o)”

Teacher: “And you fulfill quite a few of them as well right?”

Me: “Yeah…”

And she went on to give the same explanation I gave above. It made me understand why it’s more likely for relatives who weren’t raised together to be more attracted to each other, and it made me realize that if I looked at my brother through the eyes of a stranger I’d probably be very attracted to him, which is something jarring as hell to realize. It left me weirded out for the rest of the day. Well, good thing we were raised together then, or else it could make things awkward when we cuddle. ^^

“It was quite an emotionally fraught situation, as you can imagine.”

Indeed, is it a well told story? I never did get into anime. I only really ever saw one movie (Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade) and that’s because my brother insisted I watched it with him… and I’m a real pushover whenever he wants something. -.-
That movie was great though. ^^

Darkling183
5 years ago#70
Genetic Sexual Attraction right? The teacher mentioned it in passing last week. Since we basically want our children to be as similar to us as possible (Even if subconsciously) we will be more inclined to have a longer relationship with people who look more like us, and our family tends to look a lot like us. Did I get this right?

Well, actually that's 'assortative mating' - the tendency for an organism to want to reproduce with others similar to itself. It plays a big part in genetic sexual attraction, though, along with the Westermarck effect.

As you said, if closely related people aren't raised together, Westermarck effect doesn't take hold and they are capable of finding each other sexually attractive. Throw in the emotional factor of being reunited with a family member you didn't know you had, and the relationship can get inappropriately intimate very quickly.

I'm amazed that they mentioned something as esoteric as genetic sexual attraction in school - though of course if you're planning to study medicine, I guess you're studying subjects that have to do with biology and psychology?

I'll try to hold back on the cookies. Don't want to ruin your girlish figure, do we? ;)

Me: "…all of them.(0_o)”

Hmm, now that I think about it, my sister does have a lot of the characteristics I'd look for in an ideal mate too - though of course there are a lot of things she does that would slowly drive me insane as well. =)

Indeed, is it a well told story? I never did get into anime.

Well, anime is something of an acquired taste, and it's obviously not to everyone's liking. Koi Kaze is a very well-told story, though, if the storyline sounds interesting to you.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. First playthrough

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived