Is there a route? *SPOILERS*

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. Is there a route? *SPOILERS*

User Info: Shoot the Works

Shoot the Works
5 years ago#11
I'm honestly more curious as to why Yumi was able to hold on to feelings she had as a 9 year-old girl (she was 9, right?) when the whole incident led to Taka quite obviously despising her with every fiber of his being for a decade. For almost 9-10 years without pause, he treats her like dirt with two possible exceptions where you can either be nice to her or continue to act like the world would be a better if she would just disappear; and then she continues on the same way regardless of what you choose. There is no reason for anyone to maintain feelings for someone after all that, especially starting at an age when childish crushes are just that and very "easy come, easy go", and it kind of scares me that she sees nothing wrong with herself after all this.

That is not to say that Taka is justified in his actions; someone has to be unbelievably dense to take things to the extent that he took them; but Yumi is beyond comprehension. Had Taka simply retracted his feelings and continued to be cordial with her, treating her with the polite respect that everyone is entitled to, then I could understand why she might hold on to her childhood crush. In any other situation, I would not mind Yumi nearly as much; but her feelings for Taka go above and beyond the line of obsession and are extremely unsettling when you look at everything in context.

Sorry. I just really don't like her in this story. Her role is just way too out there. I don't like Yuta either, but his actions are at least believable; Kana has inspired many a white knight =T

User Info: Arinvel

Arinvel
5 years ago#12
I agree now that you say that... I haven't liked ANYBODY for that long, my brother being an exception, he's a cool guy.

But in that way, the way Yumi likes someone? No. Never, so that is somewhat odd that she would harbor those feelings for ages about one guy. Regardless of rejections, being treated like dirt, etc.

I just never felt like she deserved the verbal beatings Taka gives her.
"Weep for yourself my man you'll never be what is in your heart. Weep Little Lion Man you're not as brave as you were at the start."

Shoot the Works
5 years ago#13
Oh, she never deserved them. Except maybe a little bit after the initial incident, but certainly not 10 years worth. Taka is dumb. If it wasn't for the fact that he was the only one to visit Kana like clockwork over the years, I wouldn't know what she (Kana) saw in him.

Arinvel
5 years ago#14
Hahaha, thats funny. Yeah, considering what an ass he is to Yumi and the fact that the very impressionable Kana sees him do this, I wouldn't have been surprised if Kana had been scared of Taka and the story ending there. Bahaha
"Weep for yourself my man you'll never be what is in your heart. Weep Little Lion Man you're not as brave as you were at the start."

User Info: redrosemagic

redrosemagic
5 years ago#15
“But in that way, the way Yumi likes someone? No. Never, so that is somewhat odd that she would harbor those feelings for ages about one guy. Regardless of rejections, being treated like dirt, etc.”

Well the closest I can think of is a friend of mine who’s had a crush on a teacher for about 3 years… but that’s still small potatoes compared to Yumi. I’m guessing her feelings developed because she was so thoroughly rejected, Taka was the ultimate challenge and her obsessive nature did the rest…. But let’s ask Darkling what he thinks, he’s the great KLS master. ^^

“I just never felt like she deserved the verbal beatings Taka gives her.”

…I was of that mind right up until she forced herself on him. I thought he was over reacting over something pretty minor but after that night I started thinking he was able to see through her better than I could.

“I wouldn't have been surprised if Kana had been scared of Taka and the story ending there. Bahaha”

Doubt it. She would probably just thinking “Well, Bro must have had a really good reason for that.” When you have that amount of hero-worship for someone you assume they are always in the right (Even if they aren’t).

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
5 years ago#16
I’m guessing her feelings developed because she was so thoroughly rejected, Taka was the ultimate challenge and her obsessive nature did the rest…. But let’s ask Darkling what he thinks, he’s the great KLS master. ^^

LOL. I agree with your interpretation. In fifth grade, Yumi was portrayed as someone who was used to winning all the time. Even after the discovery of the love letter and Taka's public ridicule, she couldn't understand the fact that she no longer had a chance with him - she was prepared with a backup plan the next time she talked to him (the tickets to the botanic gardens).

Wandering away on a tangent for a moment, I think it's also quite possible (though not supported in the game) that Yumi has daddy issues. You can imagine that her father (a successful doctor) worked long hours and wasn't available to her. She's an overachiever who's been pushed to excel. So being rejected by the guy she had decided was the one for her may have resulted in a 'does not compute' in her head. She wasn't going to be rejected by another important man in her life.

Of course, that's all just 'in game' reasoning. I think the real-world reason is that the game's plot required Yumi to remain implausibly in love with Taka for the seven years they didn't talk to each other, as a deus ex machina. =)

User Info: NeutralDrow

NeutralDrow
5 years ago#17
I’m guessing her feelings developed because she was so thoroughly rejected, Taka was the ultimate challenge and her obsessive nature did the rest….

LOL. I agree with your interpretation. In fifth grade, Yumi was portrayed as someone who was used to winning all the time. Even after the discovery of the love letter and Taka's public ridicule, she couldn't understand the fact that she no longer had a chance with him - she was prepared with a backup plan the next time she talked to him (the tickets to the botanic gardens).

Huh. I never got the impression that she was used to winning all the time, or that she found Taka a challenge, or that acted like anything other than an extroverted ten/fifteen/seventeen year-old girl (with a hobby of sewing dolls). Hell, I didn't actually get the impression that she was attracted to him early on; Taka was the one with the crush.

The impression I got was that, yes, she's obsessive by nature (within some limits), but that she's also a genuinely nice person and never got over the guilt of accidentally embarrassing him in front of the class...no doubt helped by Taka's initial overreaction (even over her desperate apologies and attempts to make peace) and incredible ability to hold a grudge. Since they didn't really interact after that, it colored their last impressions until they ran into each other again (during which Taka treats her like dirt, and she puts up with it because she feels she deserves it). Which in retrospect, they do entirely by coincidence. Yumi maybe sought him out after graduation, but the festival and university club outing were pure chance; it's not like she was stalking him. Or indeed, that she did anything weird before the...incident.

Of course, that's all just 'in game' reasoning. I think the real-world reason is that the game's plot required Yumi to remain implausibly in love with Taka for the seven years they didn't talk to each other, as a deus ex machina. =)

Was she in love with him for seven years? Weird thing is, we don't really know what she's been up to all that time. Tanaka's not one of those writers who follows the principle of "if it's not on-screen, it didn't happen" (see also: nearly everything between Kana and Yuta), so she may have been having a normal life. Even seeing Taka at graduation felt more like an attempt to get closure than anything...

...though she probably did have some romantic feelings for him by then, because months later, all it took was a hint that Taka was regretting his actions, interpreted through the lens of god knows how much alcohol (they were both drinking, after all), for her to force herself on him.

'Course, I can't actually remember what she said during that incident, and I don't have the game installed at the moment... >_>
"Oh man, we're in trouble!"
"Come now. The worst that can happen is we all die."

Shoot the Works
5 years ago#18
Damn it. Now I really want to go through it again to clarify this. But the threat of being useless for a few days...ugh. Heh, I'd probably go in with the mindset of not hating Yumi (she'd be a decent character in any other story!), but end up loathing her again anyway.

Arinvel
5 years ago#19
Darkling183 posted...

Yumi to remain implausibly in love with Taka for the seven years

The poor girl. Bahaha. And Taka doesn't even think about her till she appears right in front of him.

Arinvel
5 years ago#20
I've only played once and got ending 2 so I need to play through some more to get a better feel for some of the characters rather than sit on my first impressions.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. Is there a route? *SPOILERS*

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived