Is there a route? *SPOILERS*

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. Is there a route? *SPOILERS*

User Info: Arch_Evil

Arch_Evil
5 years ago#21
Why hasn't anyone thought of the idea that Yumi's behaviour has been a charade all along? Some people can be very obsessive and possessive, starting at a very young age, and those people can go very great lengths trying to get what (or in this case, who) they 'can't have'.

Maybe Yumi hasn't been in love with Taka for all those years at all, but has only been pretending that she was, trying to entice Taka. Bumping into Taka at the festival, or graduation day: 'Oh, it's Taka!' *goes into seductive mode* Or, of course, the infamous bar/motel scenes. I added Yumi's thoughts in bold:

Taka:"...Hey, was I wrong?"
Yumi:"What?"
Taka:"About the letter... Did I misunderstand you?"
Yumi:"......"
'He's still thinking about it! My plan worked!'
Taka:"What do you say?"
Yumi:"...Let's get out of here."
Taka:"Huh?"
Yumi:"You're drunk, Taka. Let's go outside and get some fresh air."
'I've got you right where I want you...'

(in the motel)

Yumi:"It's your fault... I tried to forget about you, but..."
Yumi's about to kiss Taka.
Taka:"Yum...!"
Yumi:"......" (kisses Taka)
'You're mine now, Taka. After all those years, you are finally mine!'
Taka:"...S, stop!"
(Taka pushes her away.)
Taka:"...What are you thinking?..."
Yumi gazes at me with wet and wild looking eyes.
Yumi:"Taka..."
'I'm not letting you go, you're mine now...'
Yumi:"I love you..."
'I have you...'

I could go on but you get the point :P

It may be that she, at some point after that, indeed falls in love with Taka, but her being mad and heartbroken (after they break up) may have been a charade as well. Or she may have been upset because she 'lost' him again. Obsessions, obsessions. They can very much dominate a person's life... =)

Of course, there's little to no evidence to support this theory, but it doesn't seem all that implausible to me. And the absence of evidence may be the evidence itself. Before the motel scene, how much do we get to see/know about Yumi anyway? For all we know she may have a boyfriend, or Taka may not even be her only 'victim'.

And if you think her behaviour was not a charade, that may mean she's just very good at it =P

I know this theory is a bit out there, but, let's discuss =)
Visit my channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ArchEvil666
Music is my life: http://www.last.fm/user/ArchEvil666 | http://rateyourmusic.com/~Arch_Evil

User Info: Shoot the Works

Shoot the Works
5 years ago#22
I am inclined to disagree if only because she demonstrates a complete lack subtle tendencies later in the story when she would have most cause to employ them. She could have tried to be a lot more manipulative when push came to shove for Taka's affection, but instead she had rather typical behavior the whole way through. I would have called Ending 6 into evidence as well, but that one could actually fit with your twisted little theory =T

User Info: Arinvel

Arinvel
5 years ago#23
Its possible, though I think Its a stretch.

I don't know anyone who is that obsessive and domineering in my life, that isn't to say they don't exist though.

"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible." Hahaha ^_^

What other evidence can you offer? I like to think of Yumi as simply feeling guilt for what Taka perceives her as doing to him. It's sad, but she never gets over it.
"Weep for yourself my man you'll never be what is in your heart. Weep Little Lion Man you're not as brave as you were at the start."

User Info: NeutralDrow

NeutralDrow
5 years ago#24
Why hasn't anyone thought of the idea that Yumi's behaviour has been a charade all along?

Because it's so wildly implausible that you'd have to dislike her considerably for it to even arise?

I know this theory is a bit out there, but, let's discuss =)

I can't see Yumi as a yandere. At all. Other than acting in a teasing flirtatious way when they were young (very briefly, until the letter thing happened), she never acted like she was trying to "entice" Taka...unless she thinks he's turned on by contrition. For someone supposedly that obsessive, she sure doesn't pursue him with any amount of enthusiasm. In eight years, they've met three times. Once, she acts tentatively friendly (likely in the not-unreasonable hope that Taka isn't a douche and has cooled down over the past few years), and then sad. Then, she's entirely apologetic. Then, she's completely off-guard and awkward.

http://i43.tinypic.com/24318is.gif

The only remotely strange thing she does in the course of the story (even asking for a button made sense) is the date rape incident, which is far more easily explained by a sudden burst of hope and alcoholic courage than by years-spanning conspiracy. The absence of evidence means "no evidence is present." That's not support, especially since it's absolutely likely she had a boyfriend in that timeframe; characters' lives don't stop when they're out of Taka's sight (otherwise, Yuta would act significantly different).

It may be that she, at some point after that, indeed falls in love with Taka, but her being mad and heartbroken (after they break up) may have been a charade as well. Or she may have been upset because she 'lost' him again. Obsessions, obsessions.

If that were true, you'd think she'd pursue him more fervently after they break up. Instead, unless Taka's been showing considerable interest in her, she gives up entirely. The circumstances that led to them remaining together in Ending 6 was Taka publishing that book and not pushing her away every chance he had; otherwise, she takes Taka's admission that he was cheating on her with Kana, and leaves without bothering to say goodbye, the end.

In the Normal route, she helps Taka convince her father to go through with the transplant, and sticks around Taka when it fails. That could be interpreted two ways. Uncharitably, it could be her "protecting an investment." Charitably, it could be her sympathizing with the man she loves after learning the depths of his devotion to the one he loved. Considering how guiltily she acts over the letter incident, how sympathy was what brought her around in Ending 6, and how in Ending 1 she does absolutely nothing (if she were really that "obsessive," she could have done some serious damage, even clandestinely), I lean towards the latter.

Besides, what genre do you think Tanaka was writing?
"Oh man, we're in trouble!"
"Come now. The worst that can happen is we all die."

User Info: straitouttahell

straitouttahell
5 years ago#25
Yumi may have forced Taka into sex, but (as far as I recall) she gifted him with her "first time", so he almost surely had to mean something to her.
It's hard for me to think that he was just the next challenge to her. I believe she was truly in love with him (her way, at least). They just didn't match, at least while Kana was still alive.
Ultimately, IMHO, the love between the siblings is what kept them (Taka at least) from growing up mentally, so, after the first initial shock, I found a sense to ending 1.

(BTW: hello everybody, I'm new to the board!)

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
5 years ago#26
Hey there, Strait.

Thanks for the message you left on my guestbook. Nice to see a new KLS fan on the boards. =)

straitouttahell
5 years ago#27
Darkling183 posted...
Hey there, Strait.

Thanks for the message you left on my guestbook. Nice to see a new KLS fan on the boards. =)

You're welcome mate, I owed it to you =)

I just hope this board isn't dead already :D I understand that it's quite an old game we're talking about, but on the other hand classics never die ;)

User Info: Shoot the Works

Shoot the Works
5 years ago#28
There are a handful of us that stop by with varying regularity.

User Info: NeutralDrow

NeutralDrow
5 years ago#29
I'm always here. I don't always have things to say, but I'm always here.

Someone's gotta do the general maintenance, after all, and the Tsukihime board doesn't require as much upkeep.
"Oh man, we're in trouble!"
"Come now. The worst that can happen is we all die."

straitouttahell
5 years ago#30
NeutralDrow posted...
I'm always here. I don't always have things to say, but I'm always here.

Hey, ND, nice to read from you.
Your review was one of the major reasons why I started playing KLS, and I'm glad I did, so I think I should thank you. I'm glad I could get in touch with you directly, FWIW.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. Is there a route? *SPOILERS*

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived