Will this VN make me cry? Heart-warming like Katawa Shoujo or Clannad?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. Will this VN make me cry? Heart-warming like Katawa Shoujo or Clannad?

User Info: NeedMoreMoney

NeedMoreMoney
5 years ago#1
KS was my first VN. Loved it. Will I like this?

I watched Clannad and AS but it was based off a VN so it must be good also.
mineskiller.388

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
5 years ago#2
It's hard to say for sure, because you've only played one bishoujo game up to now, but if you like emotional stories with an emphasis on character rather than sex, then you'll probably like KLS. =)

User Info: Shoot the Works

Shoot the Works
5 years ago#3
Both Clannad and Kana have far better stories than what can be found in Katawa Shoujo. The Clannad anime is a pretty good representation of the VN on the whole; only one character and minor routes were left out, and After Story did a better job of representing the more powerful moments at the expense of the ending feeling a bit deus ex machina due to missing out on earlier explanations (VN is better for the school life segment though).

Not to say that KS is bad per se; it's better than the majority of VNs, but that isn't saying much when you have things by Zyx and Sekilala in the genre. Above average, but not good enough to hang with the best.

User Info: DarkReborn182

DarkReborn182
5 years ago#4
I myself am just getting into the VS/VN world, and Katawa Shoujo was my first as well. Next i played Hitomi - Stepsister (it was OK if u can stomach the torture/masochistic atmosphere) then Snow Sakura (I love Saki, Misato, and Hiyama!). Shortly after i heard about this one, and at first i was put off by the obvious depressing theme the game would have, but... i saw so many great reviews i went ahead and gave it a go, and guess what? the game had me bawling through each segment (all six routes) but i wouldn't trade a moment of the time spent playing Kana Little Sister for anything, its truly a moving story!

the only thing i don't like about this game is how hard it is to get set up and start playing. even the download version (which is supposed to be compatible with all OS) does not start perfectly the first time. i had to set it to vista mode then switch the view from full screen over to window size, other than that though, everything worked perfect ever since (i already had the codec needed to play it, so that wasn't an issue).

all i'm saying is you should at least give this game a try if you have not yet done so, because once you get past the difficulties setting the game up, no matter how depressing the game might be at times, it was worth it by far. i actually value this game now more than all my others combined!

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
5 years ago#5
the only thing i don't like about this game is how hard it is to get set up and start playing.

Well, to be fair, the game was originally released in Japan in 1999, so a few hiccups can be expected when trying to run it on a modern OS. It would be nice if they included a help file in the download version explaining some of the most useful workarounds, though.

It's great to see that Katawa Shoujo is introducing a whole new group of players to bishoujo games. Glad to hear that you enjoyed KLS, too. =)

User Info: NeedMoreMoney

NeedMoreMoney
5 years ago#6
Thanks guys! I'll check it out soon!
mineskiller.388
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. Will this VN make me cry? Heart-warming like Katawa Shoujo or Clannad?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived