Random Discussion Topic v10.0

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. Random Discussion Topic v10.0

User Info: FFTHEWINNER

FFTHEWINNER
3 years ago#261
well,in the same discussion topic,many people said that the list motivated them to tryout many of the games i listed,so it is clear that i did achieve success to a good degree ;). And i would read many top 10s about stuff i dont know about to pass some time/learn more about it/see what the author thinks. I am sure many are like that as well ;)

and i LOVE KS(first VN i ever played,what made me love VNs)but the team agreed that overall,it was more a"feel good"anime than a sad one. It also will be featured a lot in future lists,like"Top 10 Beginner VNs" and"Top 10 Free VNs" ;)
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png

User Info: NeutralDrow

NeutralDrow
3 years ago#262
The list was okay, I guess. Something odd about it that I can't put my finger on, though. Also, the only one on there I'd never heard of is Ginro Silver, which I now know enough about to avoid. That said, though...

well,in the same discussion topic,many people said that the list motivated them to tryout many of the games i listed,so it is clear that i did achieve success to a good degree ;)

Feels good, don't it? ^_^

People have come up to me and thanked me for some of my reviews getting them into visual novels (especially for A Drug That Makes You Dream). It's always wonderful to find out.

I can't get the music out of my head, actually. In general I find games with good sound/music to be the most memorable, and these here certainly qualify.

Heh. Funny thing for me is that I feel that way now about the music. I sort of ignored it at some point in the actual game*, but now it feels very nostalgic...

* Except "The Entertainer". ;_;

NeutralDrow, you mentioned that one story line in particular was terribly anticlimactic. Mind sharing which one you were referring to? I'm curious now that I'm reading about it.

Yuka's. Hers was almost my favorite route in the game...for a certain, uncomfortable definition of favorite, for obvious reasons. One flare of murderous anger, one moment of panic, and a denouement of love so perfect I wish the route had ended there.

Because then...fifteen minutes of nothing. Worse than nothing. There's no acknowledgement that anything in the previous half-hour of gameplay had even happened. I didn't necessarily need my revenge fantasies enacted (looking back on my notes, they'd fit more into Yandere than Crescendo), but when even Yuka recovered in an instant...I generally try not to let disappointing endings distract me from the rest of a story, but I couldn't make myself ignore that.

I know the routes all had to end with the graduation day, but it really felt hollow there. I felt most of the game was too short, and that was probably the worst hit.

maybe Kanon. I heard there is an anime based on it. Have you heard of it? Any good?

Kanon is one of my three favorite visual novels of all time (along with Tsukihime and A Drug That Makes You Dream). The KyoAni anime...was actually an astonishingly good adaptation.

Not a perfect one, by any means; you only had mere episodes to get to know several characters (rather than whole in-game hours to devote to each), the focus on Ayu as the love interest means Nayuki kinda gets shafted (she's the token normal, so the romantic relationship was a bigger portion of her route than with the others'), and the ending had to rush to complete three stories at once. But it still managed to adapt all five routes into one series, do it well, and even explain some things the visual novel was unclear about.

The only question I can direct at the choice of games is, why no Katawa Shoujo? I heard many good things about that game, doest it not quite fit the theme?

Like FF said, Katawa Shoujo isn't really a "sad" game, per se. I mean, neither is Kanon, if taken in aggregate (with one heartbreaking exception), and KS does have drama (and grief is a big, hidden part of one character's behavior), but it doesn't tackle death or grief with the immediacy of something like Kana or Symphonic Rain.

...then again, Symphonic Rain symbolizes a totally different emotion for me. That I can't even say, because just naming it is a spoiler. >_>
"Oh man, we're in trouble!"
"Don't worry. The worst that can happen is we all die."

User Info: Zap0

Zap0
3 years ago#263
K. I'm done with Katawa Shoujo now and it was indeed different. I can see now why you wouldn't include it in that list.

That said, I enjoyed it. (Spoilers?)
The amount of content in it was pleasingly large since it essentially tells you five different, largely independent stories after the "selection". The flowchart for decisions I looked up to hunt down the one missing outlier scene afterwards made me feel all fuzzy, I kinda wish decision points would have had a greater impact once the stories had begun, but they were used in a different way, I guess, allowing you control over your mindset rather then your actions, which is nice too.

At times it felt like there was no conflict and the story just dragging on until something happened. The general theme across all stories was to come to understand and accept someone else's worldview and make peace with yourself in some way. I enjoyed the few recurring and overlapping events across the various storylines. While most ended at a similar point, the endings felt sufficiently distinct from each other. I guess having the various characters all integrated into one main storyline would probably end up forcing stuff into a pattern similar to what it felt like in Crescendo.

Sometimes it felt like the characters were a bit too exaggerated, but that may lend itself well to conveying the feeling of being somewhere new and alien and to introduce the characters. I liked that Crescendo had another reasonable, humanized male character, in KS the only other male character was nothing but comic relief (which was fun, too).

So much for rambling. I liked Hanako's and Lilly's stories best. Don't know if it's just because I read them last. Shizune's felt a little unpolished (which is not a word at all to describe the rest of the game), I felt lost a couple times in there and don't know where all the time went that was supposed to go by. There was also only one choice which I felt could have been handled in different ways.

* Except "The Entertainer". ;_;

Awww, that poor girl. Again I liked the music in this game as well. It felt more "modern" as in the music being more for ambience rather then being a soundtrack. I have yet to play a VN that doesn't have some kind of music box playing in it, either.

Yuka.
I can only agree with you on this one. Felt like there was a lot missing there :-(

And now... onwards.

User Info: Idaeus_004

Idaeus_004
3 years ago#264
Man, been too busy to touch any VNs in months thanks to work & stuff, & just made the mistake of listening to "For You (Music Box Version)" from KLS ...

... & got hit hard in the face by a lot of memories ... Guess since I lost all my HDD data a while ago it's time to go through it again ... Must admit I have mixed feelings about that, haha.

How's everyone doing?

NeutralDrow
3 years ago#265
So much for rambling.

No, it's always interesting to hear other peoples' opinions on shared games. That's how I realized that I don't always agree with people about which parts of a game or story drag, and that I have far different standards for "pacing problems." Whether it's Katawa Shoujo, or Fate/Stay Night, or Family Project, or Grisaia no Kajitsu, Ai Yori Aoshi, Negima, etc...give me characters I like, and it doesn't matter what they do, I can happily follow it for hours and hours.

Fun thing worth noting about Katawa Shoujo, each route had a different writer (and artist). And the writer of Shizune's route was apparently a last-minute substitution who didn't like her character much. When I learned that, I suddenly felt lucky to be one of the comparatively few people who liked her route. I loved the character arc with her and Misha, and I loved just how quickly and thoroughly she managed to reverse my opinion of her (she bugged me to the point of hatred before the end of Act 1, but then turned it in an instant).

So ultimately, for my part, I liked every route. Emi and Rin felt like people I would date, Lily and Shizune felt like people I would love, and Hanako felt like a sister. Or possibly a female version of me, circa ten years ago.

Awww, that poor girl.

I'll be honest...hers was the one part of the game I had no problem with.

Okay, that's a lie, I actually had no problem with Kaori's route, either (I just tend to forget it, because I played it right before Ayame's route, which I hated), but I didn't cry myself to sleep two nights in a row over Kaori. Haven't done for any other character except Kana and someone from Kanon.

just made the mistake of listening to "For You (Music Box Version)" from KLS ...

Between Kana: Little Sister, Da Capo, Symphonic Rain, Katawa Shoujo, and Baten Kaitos, I've come to the conclusion that music boxes are pure evil.

On topic...yeah, I know the feeling. The last VN I actually managed to finish was Da Capo, and that took me a year and a half. Meanwhile, I've started but not completed Family Project, Snow Sakura, The Sagara Family, Grisaia no Kajitsu, Higurashi, and (most recently) Air. Ever since graduation, it's hard to find time I can prioritize...and it doesn't help that I only play them at night.

Other than that, things are okay in all the ways I feel comfortable telling.

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
3 years ago#266
*bump*

User Info: Zap0

Zap0
3 years ago#267
bump, and be bumped.

Played through A Drug That Makes You Dream since. I said the characters in Katawa Shoujo were a bit over the top, but this game is even more extreme. I thought I wouldn't like it very much at first because of this, but still ended up liking it in the end. It felt much more noisy and annoying in the beginning. While there were a lot of "yeah, that would never happen" moments, it still felt plausible enough to be enjoyable. I especially liked that every storyline had its own "epilogue" that provided closure :-)
I liked the themes of the game and how they were handled, but I don't get the "Interpersonal Relationship" part at all. Maybe it just sounds a lot better in Japanese.
There also were a lot of H-scenes in this one, with every character. I don't mind (obviously), but jumping from one right into the next could be annoying.

NeutralDrow
3 years ago#268
Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

It's probably my favorite ever (dending on my mood; sometimes Tsukihime or Kanon are my favorite ever), though I have to admit that the greater portion of my opinion comes from Aeka alone. I just empathized with and loved her so much, and the scene on the moonlit rooftop is the most emotional a game's ever given me...measured in breadth, at least. Measured in depth of a single emotion, Kana and Symphonic Rain both probably beat it, but

Granted, I liked Mizuki a lot, too, and Nekoko was charming, but they were just a bit overshadowed...except for Mizuki's endings. Those were pretty damn good, even if I had to do some mental gymnastics to figure out the timelines once the highs wore off.

Zap0 posted...
I liked the themes of the game and how they were handled, but I don't get the "Interpersonal Relationship" part at all. Maybe it just sounds a lot better in Japanese.

Yeah, I never quite got that, either. Best I can think is that they realized how hopeless summarizing her actual problem really was, and just improvised something about inability to empathize and be empathized with?

There also were a lot of H-scenes in this one, with every character. I don't mind (obviously), but jumping from one right into the next could be annoying.

It astonished me how much sex there was, too, especially considering it's a really story-driven game. I'd expect sixteen sex scenes out of a nukige, but this? I think I only minded that much in the case of Nekoko. I mean, Aeka's felt about right, and Mizuki's eight scenes at least made character sense. I could see where they were going with Nekoko, but it felt too excessive and silly to work.

User Info: virumor

virumor
3 years ago#269
In hindsight, the situations involving Aeka in the school (teachers turning blind eye to extreme bullying, attempted rape on roof) aren't that far-fetched as I had previously assumed.

I've spoken with some Japanese people and some schools really are that crappy. Recently it was even in the news that a teacher abused a student.

Also Japan is the country after all where 援助交際 has been very common since the middle of the 90s, I no longer bat an eyelash at (story-driven) high school VNs with large amounts of sex.

NeutralDrow
3 years ago#270
That was something I went into the game knowing, and it helped (or...didn't help) that there was a logical escalation to the violence as Aeka stopped responding. I was honestly kind of surprised the attempted rape incident didn't happen sooner, especially since Jingai just terrified me (bad reactions from my own past being bullied) and I wouldn't have put anything past him.

Either way, it really felt like the authors were going out of their way to point at things like the philosophy that "the nail that sticks up gets pounded down," and say "seriously, what the hell in wrong with you all?"

Also, that thing you typed came out as 援助交際. Was it in East Asian characters?
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. Random Discussion Topic v10.0

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived