Random Discussion Topic v10.0

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. Random Discussion Topic v10.0

User Info: ifritsparda

ifritsparda
4 years ago#31
*Feels it necessary to keep the topic going*

So, I had to dig out my old laptop. The power socket for my current one burned out and it won't accept a charge anymore. If there was some way to fix or replace that part, I'd be fine, but it doesn't seem likely. Now, I'm stuck with my old Toshiba: runs Vista and the keyboard is essentially broken so I have to use an external keyboard instead, but at least it works. Plus, all my old VNs and music are on this one =).
Neko wa ii desu - Tohno Shiki

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
4 years ago#32
For some reason, the power socket burning out sounds familiar - has that happened to you before, or am I thinking of someone else? (Probably the latter.)

Can you just buy a replacement keyboard for your Toshiba on eBay or something? I've replaced a laptop keyboard before and it wasn't that hard to do.

ifritsparda
4 years ago#33
Darkling183 posted...
For some reason, the power socket burning out sounds familiar - has that happened to you before, or am I thinking of someone else? (Probably the latter.)

It was probably me. For some reason, I have the bad luck of repeatedly causing power plugs to burn out; usually involves sparks and the plug becoming completely separated from the cord. This time, however, it's the socket inside the computer, not the plug, that went bad. Whenever I plug in my power supply to the broken laptop, the converter box status light goes from bright green to dim green and it doesn't transfer power. It works with my old laptop (which I'm typing on right now) though.

Can you just buy a replacement keyboard for your Toshiba on eBay or something? I've replaced a laptop keyboard before and it wasn't that hard to do.

I do have a spare usb keyboard I'm using right now. I was using it with my Raspberry Pi, but I'm a total Linux noob and that's slow going, even with a supplementary book. The funny thing is the on-board keyboard for this laptop will work about half the time; it has to be a hardware issue, because the drivers are up to date and I see no other issues with the software. Maybe I've dropped this thing one too many times...

Typing with the on-board keyboard usually ends up like this: thkis kiebolard kis currentloy nlot wolrkiking p-rlop-erloy.

Darkling183
4 years ago#34
Well, that's what I meant - can't you buy a replacement on-board keyboard and switch the old one out?

ifritsparda
4 years ago#35
Darkling183 posted...
Well, that's what I meant - can't you buy a replacement on-board keyboard and switch the old one out?

I suppose I could, but I'm not the most technologically savvy person around, and I don't really want to risk damaging my only remaining computer. Then again, the online guide I'm looking at right now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Ccq5PN1Z8) does make it look pretty simple. I'll order one soon and give it a shot. After all, a $13-20 on-board keyboard is a lot cheaper than a $300-700 replacement laptop.

Ironically, my on-board keyboard's working right now; typed this entire message using it =)

Darkling183
4 years ago#36
Heck, if I can do it, I think that means pretty much anyone could do it. ;)

ifritsparda
3 years ago#37
Got my new keyboard today! Installed it! So damn excited!

Doesn't work; same problems as before! ...wait

Well, it wasn't problem with the keyboard, then. Looks like it's a new laptop for me!

Darkling183
3 years ago#38
Damn, so it's some sort of problem with the keyboard connection? So, one laptop that won't charge and another laptop you can't type on conveniently. At least you can use the external keyboard until you can get a new laptop. =)

ifritsparda
3 years ago#39
Darkling183 posted...
Damn, so it's some sort of problem with the keyboard connection? So, one laptop that won't charge and another laptop you can't type on conveniently. At least you can use the external keyboard until you can get a new laptop. =)

Yep.

Darkling183
3 years ago#40
Ergh, if you get a new laptop it'll come with Windows 8. I hope you can find a way around that!
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. Random Discussion Topic v10.0

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived