Definitely worthwhile ... (Spoliers)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. Definitely worthwhile ... (Spoliers)

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
3 years ago#11
I felt sorry for Yumi initially, the first time I played the game. It wasn't her fault that the other kids found Taka's letter and teased him about it, and she never got the chance to explain to him. So I gave her the button at graduation.

But by the time Taka met her again at the university club meeting, I was entirely wrapped up in the 'Kana only has six months left to live' thing, and Yumi was just an obstacle to Taka and Kana's being together, confessing their love to each other and making the most of what little time they had left. The small amount of sympathy I had for Yumi evaporated because of how she was utilised by the plot.

Months later, I eventually started seeing her in a more sympathetic light (though I still find her one-sided obsession with Taka all through elementary and high school somewhat implausible). That was why I brought her into New Blooms and had Taka confront his feelings for her (and how badly he had treated her).

Have you played through Zero's other KLS project, Kana: Eternity? Zero's brother JPop4Life wrote it, and Zero did the Flash. Yumi gets to play a bit more of a role in that story. =)

And yeah, it sounds like your reasons for wanting to write a KLS fanfic are exactly the same as mine were after I first completed all six endings. Kana just engendered such strong emotions in me that they needed an outlet, and I needed her and Taka to be happy!

User Info: Idaeus_004

Idaeus_004
3 years ago#12
Yeah, I went through The Kana Eternity story too. Must admit I was a little off with the idea of Kyoko, but not too much; & I've added a character to mine so I can't gripe anyway (not a romantic character though, just a university friend for Taka to speak with). But I thought it was very well done, & I was quite impressed.

I'm with you 100% on the Yumi opinion. I really felt bad for her at first; though with how she acted when everyone found out about the letter was wrong, she was only a kid herself so I can't really hold a grudge to that extent on that count (though I admit, if I were Taka, I might've reacted the same way); it was her date-rape of Taka & her subsequent attempts to basically 'own' him, & take him from Kana for herself that lost her my sympathy though. She clearly resented the attention Taka gave Kana; & seemed oblivious & uncaring to the fact that Kana was seriously ill & hospital-bound (even if she wasn't aware Kana was actually dying), just seeing Kana as someone taking 'her' Taka away all the time. Also I also find the whole 10+ years obsessive romance pretty unlikely, & perhaps a little creepy & stalker-ish (but I guess that also fits with the date rape & subsequent behavior)

Even so, She does redeem herself significantly by helping Taka make the transplant happen, in spite of how he hurt her. & since that results in Kana living... Can you REALLY hate her after that? Lol.

& yeah, doing my own post-true-ending because I felt I really needed to get my hopes for them down on paper (or PC anyway), like you I felt I needed them to be happy; & doing it helps cement the idea that they end up happy a bit more for me; as I can't honestly think of any other love stories or anything of the type with a couple who really deserve it more after all they've been through...

Darkling183
3 years ago#13
Yumi is obsessed with Taka; that much is clear. She longs for him from fifth grade until graduation, and when she gets him, she can't understand why Kana takes precedence over her in Taka's affections. So she hangs onto him desperately, offering whatever she can (usually sex) to keep him with her. In doing so, she gets in the way of Kana/Taka, and I started to resent her for that.

But there's a positive side to her obsession, too - and that's her devotion. She still convinces her father to approve the transplant, even though there's nothing in it for her. In Ending 3, she helps bring Taka back to the real world, even though he treated her so badly. In Ending 6, she reads Taka's book and finds it in herself to forgive him, now that she understands.

I think if Yumi and Taka had gotten together in fifth grade, it might have been a love that lasted a lifetime. (More likely, it would just have been a silly elementary school crush that they'd both end up getting over within a few months or years, but that's just the pragmatist in me talking.)

Idaeus_004 posted...
I can't honestly think of any other love stories or anything of the type with a couple who really deserve it more after all they've been through...
Hoo boy. Watch Koi Kaze. Or Saishuu Heiki Kanojo. Neither leaves any room for a happy fanfic continuation, or believe me, I would have tried.

Darkling183
3 years ago#14
Yggdrasill posted...
I think it's safe to say that there's not a fan out there (or if there are then definitely not many) who wanted Taka & Kana to be together in the end.

Just saw this response of yours on the guestbook and thought I'd reply here. I remember coming across one person who referred to KLS as "that game where you go after Yumi while desperately trying not to do it with your sister".

But most other non Kana/Taka supporters out there (who call the incest aspect 'sick' because Kana and Taka were brought up as brother and sister, even if they're not related) seem to be people who haven't even played the game and are just expressing an uninformed knee-jerk reaction of disgust because of the incest taboo.

Idaeus_004
3 years ago#15
Yeah, most people I can imagine objecting are those who, as you say, think that the incest aspect is inexcusably wrong; without actually knowing anything about it or even actually playing the game.

Love to know how someone saw the game as even remotely about going after Yumi, as half the time it seems Taka's only with her reluctantly, & the rest of the time he's actually trying to get away from her, lol.

Unfortunately, with the whole incest aspect of KLS, regardless of the fact that it turns out they're not blood-related (which people have to actually play the game to find out about), a lot of people will be unable to even play the game to try it. They therefore won't get that this isn't a case of siblings that immediately jump into bed with each other, but is a story of how they come to REALLY love each other over years, whilst actually trying to hold those feelings back, instead of pursuing them. Sadly the only way to find out is to have an open mind, & the kind of people with these opinions don't tend to have one of those ...

On another note, just playing through the true ending again: & had forgotten this:
Takas words "Life without Kana is pretty much the same as dying.";
I think that definitely shows both how much he loves her; & why there's no way couple with that kind of love separates permanently, hehe...

Darkling183
3 years ago#16
Yeah, there are very few people (in my experience) who have actually played the game and come out of it still thinking of it as sick and perverted.

Idaeus_004 posted...
Love to know how someone saw the game as even remotely about going after Yumi, as half the time it seems Taka's only with her reluctantly, & the rest of the time he's actually trying to get away from her, lol.
I guess that guy just had a particular thing for Yumi. Stranger things have happened. =)

I've pored over Ending 1 quite a few times over the years, and I've come to the realisation that nowhere is it definitively stated what Kana plans to do regarding her relationship with Taka. Is it over? Not over? The game deliberately keeps it ambiguous. That's apparently quite a common storytelling technique in Japan - there are movies and TV series that have obscure endings so the audience can go away and discuss their own opinions of what it might have meant. It's considered to 'add value' for the audience.

But after five endings where Kana dies, I wasn't really in the mood for a thought-provoking open-ended conclusion to the story. I just wanted Taka and Kana happy and together, damn it! =)

Idaeus_004
3 years ago#17
Darkling183 posted...
But after five endings where Kana dies, I wasn't really in the mood for a thought-provoking open-ended conclusion to the story. I just wanted Taka and Kana happy and together, damn it! =)

That, good sir; sums up my main thought on the mater pretty much exactly, lol. I didn't think it was too much to ask that after including five versions of the ending that reduced me to tears; that they include ONE that was properly & UN-ambiguously happy! Lol.

I still, & most likely always will, stand by my belief that the idea for Kana to move out was more so she could start facing some of life on her own, which she'd never done up to that point; rather than ending their relationship. I took it that it was so she could acquire some independence & learn to be able to 'stand-on-her-own-two-feet', so to speak; & so that, although they still loved each other, they wouldn't be tied to each other to the point that neither could function when they were apart.

There really are just too many things that happen & are said for me to ever believe that they permanently separate. It's definitely a case of, at the most extreme, just a bit of time apart to grow as individuals, before getting together as more independent people, rather than being bound together in the manner they were before ...

Darkling183
3 years ago#18
Unfortunately for me, my state of mind after the aforementioned five endings where she died (I saved Ending 1 for last) was definitely "the glass is half empty". I thought she was leaving for good, and I couldn't believe or accept it.

I actually thought, when writing the first couple of chapters, that people would find my continuation to be stretching credibility, like "who are you to change what the game said? Kana's made her choice and has given up on Taka forever!". But I went on with the fanfics anyway, of course. =)

It was only a couple of years afterward that I began consciously noticing the ambiguity in the ending, and the possibilities that were deliberately left unspoken in the dialogue between Kana and Taka.

Idaeus_004
3 years ago#19
Yeah, the depression that results from the second to sixth endings can definitely mar the true endings, erm, ending; to no small degree. I think when you look at the ending unhindered by the sadness that follows the others, it's not hard to see that they're still in love, & likely to be together.

I mean, there's no indication of them actually breaking up at all. She's only moving out, which if anything means their relationship actually would become easier to maintain. Taka's just upset because they won't be together under the same roof anymore; that they've never had as much literal distance between them since they started seeing each other; which is obviously part of the reason for Kana to move out; as they've gotten too used to being pretty much always side-by-side. I certainly don't see Kana being so positive about leaving or Taka eventually wishing her luck if it were a break up, haha.

Guess it really is a 'happy' ending in all senses really. They just had to make it bloody hard to figure it all out! Lol.

Darkling183
3 years ago#20
Yeah, it does depend on how you view it. I was actually surprised at the subtlety of the translation in that part of Ending 1 - it very carefully maintained the ambiguity and never said anything definite either way.

Kana could have just been trying to put a brave face on it, for example, and she was equally upset about their parting, so much so that she asks Taka for advice on how to cope with it. Darn those Japanese and their unwillingness to give the audience an unadulterated happy ending! =P

Still, I got three fanfics out of it, which I enjoyed writing, so I guess I fell for their trap...
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. Definitely worthwhile ... (Spoliers)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived