Definitely worthwhile ... (Spoliers)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. Definitely worthwhile ... (Spoliers)

User Info: Idaeus_004

Idaeus_004
4 years ago#21
Darkling183 posted...
Still, I got three fanfics out of it, which I enjoyed writing, so I guess I fell for their trap...

Lol, very true; & I'm attempting one too, so guess I'm guilty of that now too dammit; not that I guess I mind too much in that regard.

A lot of Japanese stuff tends to give very ambiguous endings in the sense of romances & stuff though I've noticed lately. In fact, KLS may even been seen as one of the MORE obvious ones, since I'd say it gives much stronger hints that they'll either stay together, or at least end up back together.

Seriously ... Do they have something against 'obviously' happy endings or something? :/

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
4 years ago#22
Hmm, I just realised that since KLS is a 'crying game', maybe it would have been out of character (for the genre) for it to have had any ending that was completely happy?

Or maybe the writer was just a sadistic bastard. Yeah, I'm going to go with that.

Idaeus_004
4 years ago#23
Well, sadistic bastard or not, I've gotta say that the writer for KLS did a f***ing awesome job, lol.

I guess if Kana is anything, a crying game is probably more accurate, but 't that really accounts for the ultimate goal of all VNs that have heavily emotional stories wouldn't you say? It's just that KLS achieves the goal of bringing up heavy emotional responses from the player/viewer much more successfully than other titles have managed...

They probably went with what they did with the true ending so that they could give you plenty of hints that there was a properly happy ending just out of sight, happening just after the credits or something, without actually showing it you; so they could carry on with the emotional turmoil until the very end ...

Darkling183
4 years ago#24
Idaeus_004 posted...
Well, sadistic bastard or not, I've gotta say that the writer for KLS did a f***ing awesome job, lol.
That was one reason I was looking forward to Family Project so much - he wrote that game too. (He used to go by the name Hajime Yamada, but now uses the name Romeo Tanaka.) He was also involved with Yume Miru Kusuri.

However, neither of those games had the same effect on me as KLS did. Family Project was just cluttered with too many characters and too many 'big ideas' taking precedence over story and characterisation. He refined the formula somewhat for YMK (only three love interests), but it was also very deeply based on exploring issues through characters, rather than exploring characters through issues the way KLS did. I don't think either of them was intended as a crying game.

I guess if Kana is anything, a crying game is probably more accurate, but that really accounts for the ultimate goal of all VNs that have heavily emotional stories wouldn't you say? It's just that KLS achieves the goal of bringing up heavy emotional responses from the player/viewer much more successfully than other titles have managed...
Well, yes, but I don't think there have been many crying games commercially translated into English. Most of them (with notable exceptions that we've already discussed) are light-hearted sex romps. I would love to play Clannad or Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and see if they're really on the same level as KLS.

Idaeus_004
4 years ago#25
Darkling183 posted...
I would love to play Clannad or Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and see if they're really on the same level as KLS.

Hmmm, can't say I've heard of either, which may actually be a good thing what with what the 'well-known' VNs tend to be like ... May have to have a look.

Think the main appeal of a good VN for me as well if the way that it's the fact that the characters fall in love before 'hooking up', shall we say. As opposed to the typical screw-fest type of VN where the protagonist bangs away like a rabbit, usually with each of the girls at least once or twice, before THEN decided which one he loves. And people think the incest theme in Kana seems screwed up ... >_>

Darkling183
4 years ago#26
Idaeus_004 posted...
Hmmm, can't say I've heard of either, which may actually be a good thing what with what the 'well-known' VNs tend to be like ... May have to have a look.
Well, they both have pretty good anime adaptations (Clannad in particular is one of my favourite anime series ever), but it depends on how you want to experience the story.

It's interesting how bishoujo games get adapted to anime. Some just have the protagonist making friends with each girl in turn, going through that girl's storyline but not actually ending up with her until he gets to 'the one' (eg Clannad, which is a PG-rated game, so it's not like he's having sex with each one of them and then dumping them). Some choose one path in particular to follow, often to the ire of fans of the other girls (eg KGNE).

Recently there's been Amagami SS, which divided its season into six four-episode arcs that basically depict the same period of time, but with the protagonist becoming interested in a different girl in each arc. And Yosuga no Sora took a 'branching' approach, ending episodes on distinctive cliffhangers, going in one direction until the protagonist got an ending with a girl, then going back to one of the earlier cliffhangers and saying "what if he'd made a different decision?" and proceeding to get him involved with a different girl.

Think the main appeal of a good VN for me as well if the way that it's the fact that the characters fall in love before 'hooking up', shall we say.
Well, definitely play Crescendo, then. =)
(message deleted)

Idaeus_004
4 years ago#28
Yeah, I've seen Amagami SS & SS+ (Was very glad for SS+, lol, think I was one of the few people that preferred Rihoko).

Think Amagami probably chose the best way to do a multiple choice type VN into an anime; no one can complain that any of the girls get left out that way; or that the protagonist is an ass that leads every girl on before deciding. Dividing it up into arcs is probably the way to go ...

Thinking about it I'm actually rather surprised that considering how many VNs get manga & anime adaptations, that KLS has never had one ... Although I suppose it'd probably end up that they'd either choose one of the other 5 endings which would seriously p*** off a lot of people, or it just wouldn't have the same impact as the original VN, even if they did do the true ending; & people would just be annoyed for that instead ... never mind :/

Will look at Crescendo if it's like that ... Can't really stand the idea of having to do each girl in turn before deciding I may actually like one of them; makes the protagonist seem like such a douche ...Nice to know there's at least a few games where that doesn't happen.

Darkling183
4 years ago#29
Idaeus_004 posted...
Yeah, I've seen Amagami SS & SS+ (Was very glad for SS+, lol, think I was one of the few people that preferred Rihoko).
I wanted to like Rihoko too, but her arc in the first season just didn't go anywhere. "Oh, I want to lose weight! Oh, but snacks are so delicious! Oh, I'm not even going to confess to the guy I like!" Her storyline in the second season did help to fix that a little bit, but by then it was too late for poor Rihoko's chances with me.

Out of all of the girls, I liked Sae-chan the best. It helped that her arc had the comical narration. And she really does have a glamorous body. =)

However, I'd drop everything and go for Miya in a heartbeat. I was overjoyed when I heard there was going to be an extra episode dedicated just to her, then a bit disappointed when it just reinforced their bond as family.

Still, I listen to this song a lot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIxdaypRbnA

Thinking about it I'm actually rather surprised that considering how many VNs get manga & anime adaptations, that KLS has never had one ...
Well, the game was originally released in 1999, and it wasn't considered an 'A' title in Japan, maybe not even a B. Also, it probably doesn't have enough content to fill a 13-episode season.

Although I suppose it'd probably end up that they'd either choose one of the other 5 endings which would seriously p*** off a lot of people, or it just wouldn't have the same impact as the original VN, even if they did do the true ending; & people would just be annoyed for that instead ... never mind :/
Yeah, I think I'd be put off if they changed the character designs even just a tiny bit. KLS is chapter and verse to me; I know it practically back to front, so any liberties that the anime team took with the game would really irk me.

I guess in that regard it's lucky that I got to experience anime adaptations like Kanon, Clannad, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Yosuga no Sora and Amagami SS without having played the respective game. (Although I find that, especially with Kanon and Clannad, I often prefer the anime character designs to the in-game designs, probably because they're slightly simplified and streamlined for easier animation.) I guess it all depends on which version of the story you're exposed to first.

Idaeus_004
4 years ago#30
Darkling183 posted...
Out of all of the girls, I liked Sae-chan the best. It helped that her arc had the comical narration. And she really does have a glamorous body. =)

Aaah, I liked Sae at first, then after a while I realised that she was actually a really weak character; she seemed to be there purely for 'moe' content, having no independence or real defining traits that were her own, besides a huge chest ... And her SS+ arc was just 2 episodes of f-all tbh, NOTHING happened, lol.

I know a lot of people were initially very annoyed with Rihokos original arc, since she unsurprisingly DOES end up going out with Junichi, not just friend-zoned (poor girl); & I actually thought she was the most adorable by far, being sweet without seeming helpless all the time. I've heard a good few rumours that the SS+ specials were made partly just to finally sort her arc out at last, haha. Doubtful, but probably contributed a bit...

I'll admit in regards to Miya that I'm glad they kept it the way they did. Too many things seem to assume that romance + siblings = incest at some point; so nice to see something that just kept them as proper siblings. Though I will admit that she was awesome, if a tad annoying at times :)

Darkling183 posted...
Well, the game was originally released in 1999, and it wasn't considered an 'A' title in Japan, maybe not even a B. Also, it probably doesn't have enough content to fill a 13-episode season.

Very true ... I guess in order to make at least a 13 episode season, they'd end up either making stuff up, to increase the amount of content, which would most likely make it too bulky to feel any good...

Also, any change in design would really p*** me off I think. I've seen lots of peoples comments on Kana Okaeri; & most share my same gripes about the different visual style. Overall I suppose I should actually be grateful it hasn't been given an adaptation that could've ruined the whole KLS experience for me ...
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. Definitely worthwhile ... (Spoliers)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived