Definitely worthwhile ... (Spoliers)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. Definitely worthwhile ... (Spoliers)

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
4 years ago#31
Idaeus_004 posted...
Aaah, I liked Sae at first, then after a while I realised that she was actually a really weak character; she seemed to be there purely for 'moe' content, having no independence or real defining traits that were her own, besides a huge chest ... And her SS+ arc was just 2 episodes of f-all tbh, NOTHING happened, lol.
I think my liking for Sae was partly because Rihoko's arc let me down (she didn't grow or change from the beginning of her arc to the end of it), and partly because the senpai-kouhai dynamic was a refreshing change from most of the other girls (none of whom were particularly the type that I like anyway). I thought I might have ended up liking Tsukasa the most, until the other side of her personality was revealed. So Sae kind of emerged as the front-runner by default.

I'll admit in regards to Miya that I'm glad they kept it the way they did.
Fair enough. It's true that I can't see any way that they could plausibly have gotten the two of them together anyway (especially in the space of one episode). I just seem to have this tendency to get fixated on background characters who never get any major character development.

I've seen lots of peoples comments on Kana Okaeri; & most share my same gripes about the different visual style. Overall I suppose I should actually be grateful it hasn't been given an adaptation that could've ruined the whole KLS experience for me ...
Well, I think you can watch an adaptation of something and not have the original ruined for you. I staunchly refused to watch the Lord of the Rings movies for years, worried that I would always see Elijah Wood as Frodo, Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn, Ian McKellen as Gandalf etc whenever I read the books afterwards. But eventually I did watch them and it was fine. They were just an 'adaptation'; the film-makers made good choices and sometimes (in my opinion) poor choices, but it didn't affect my reading experience when I read LOTR again after having seen the movies.

Similarly, Kana Okaeri wasn't as bad as I thought. I got used to black-haired Kana pretty quickly, and I eventually came to realise that it was like watching a different theatre company putting on a version of a play you've already seen before. There might be small differences in the acting and the directing, but the story it's telling is essentially the same. Kana Okaeri gave me added insight into certain scenes by giving me a different perspective on them, while in other cases it fell flat in terms of its execution when compared to the original.

User Info: Idaeus_004

Idaeus_004
4 years ago#32
I actually did find things I liked about all the girls in Amagami, even Sae (she was really cute, after all, haha); Kaoru was fiery, Haruka was bubbly & fun, Rihoko was ditzy but charming, Tsukasa was really loving (under the facade anyway) & Ai was very down to earth & gentle. I just felt that Sae had the weakest character of them all. I didn't feel that if you took away her looks, that she'd really stand out at all... But that's just me maybe.

Darkling183 posted...
Similarly, Kana Okaeri wasn't as bad as I thought. I got used to black-haired Kana pretty quickly, and I eventually came to realise that it was like watching a different theatre company putting on a version of a play you've already seen before.

I don't mind details like Kanas hair colour (since the text actually describes it as black, even though it's shown as brown in the KLS graphics), but I think you make a good point with the theatre comparison... Have to admit I've never tried to think of it like that.

I'll admit I don't have a good track record with adaptations, since I have a near-eidetic memory, I find it very easy to get an idea or impression planted into my head; which then means I find it hard to accept alterations & such.

I would admit I'd probably like to go through Okaeri myself (dunno if I have the strength to knowingly go through endings 2-6 again though >_< ) to see for myself though. It's just a case of finding it somewhere (I get lost on the internet veeery easily, haha)... I'd like to at least experience that take on it before cementing my opinion; value of an open mind & all that ^_^

Darkling183
4 years ago#33
Idaeus_004 posted...
I just felt that Sae had the weakest character of them all. I didn't feel that if you took away her looks, that she'd really stand out at all... But that's just me maybe.
Well, it's probably just me, actually. In bishoujo games (and probably in real life as well), I don't tend to go for girls with dominant or overly extraverted personalities. I thought I'd like Rihoko, but she turned out to be a disappointment. I agree that Sae-chan really is little more than a nicely shaped doormat, but I felt that she really was growing as a result of Junichi's 'instruction'.

I would admit I'd probably like to go through Okaeri myself (dunno if I have the strength to knowingly go through endings 2-6 again though >_< ) to see for myself though. It's just a case of finding it somewhere (I get lost on the internet veeery easily, haha)... I'd like to at least experience that take on it before cementing my opinion; value of an open mind & all that ^_^
I went through it using a 'text hooker' program that would intercept the Japanese characters from the game, run them through Babelfish (I don't think Google Translate existed back then) and provide me with a very rough translation of what was happening. Fortunately, I was so well-versed in KLS that I usually knew which scene and what dialogue I was seeing.

To complicate matters, Kana Okaeri was voiced. Anime voice actress Ayako Kawasumi provided Kana's voice.

Since then, though, there's been a PG-rated PSP version of KLS that's gone back to the original character designs and added extra scenes with new (if slightly inferior) artwork. The cover and the limited edition cover are pretty, though - it looks like they may have gone back to the original artist for those.

http://www.pspgamesthemes.com/psp-games/adventure-games/kana-imouto.html

The odd thing is that instead of using the voice acting from Kana Okaeri, the PSP port has all-new voice acting. So now there are two different voiced versions of KLS out there.

Idaeus_004
4 years ago#34
Darkling183 posted...
Since then, though, there's been a PG-rated PSP version of KLS that's gone back to the original character designs and added extra scenes with new (if slightly inferior) artwork. The cover and the limited edition cover are pretty, though - it looks like they may have gone back to the original artist for those.

http://www.pspgamesthemes.com/psp-games/adventure-games/kana-imouto.html

The odd thing is that instead of using the voice acting from Kana Okaeri, the PSP port has all-new voice acting. So now there are two different voiced versions of KLS out there.

Yeah, definitely can tell which of the artwork is newer, although at least the style's fairly consistent & blends in with the original stuff well enough.

Very odd that they redid the audio again though... Maybe the original Okaeris voice actors didn't go down too well over there or something; or maybe they were only licensed to use them for the one game version & didn't want to have to pay to use their voices in the other one... who knows :3

Would like to get Okaeri though, I must admit (either or both versions, lol), provided I can hopefully find some way to translate it; although I suppose I know enough to struggle through it if there's no other option (In UK, so same region 2 as Japan DVD & game-wise, lol; at least removes the importing compatibility issue). If I could get my hands on either version of Okaeri I'd be happy though ... May have to begin searching around.

Interestingly, on the Amagami note, not sure if you know but they did several mangas that followed the various girls; but for some reason seemed to stop halfway through Rihoko's version, & didn't do Sae's at all (annoying for both of us -_- ); even though all the other girls were done to completion. they even did a few bonus chapters which had a single chapter about various characters such as Miya & Riza (i.e. the stalker ...). Wish they'd finished them all... Maybe they will in the future ... Can always hope ...

Darkling183
4 years ago#35
Idaeus_004 posted...
Very odd that they redid the audio again though... Maybe the original Okaeris voice actors didn't go down too well over there or something; or maybe they were only licensed to use them for the one game version & didn't want to have to pay to use their voices in the other one... who knows :3
I think it was probably the former. It says this on the page I linked to:

"and make your voice all over again performed far better than the players before"

I'm guessing that means "we re-recorded the voices for a much better acting performance than Kana Okaeri". I thought Ayako Kawasumi as Kana was quite good, but I admit I don't remember any of the other voice actors as being particularly distinctive.

I'd also be interested in playing KLS on the PSP, but I'd have no hope at all of understanding what was going on, especially during the new material (though the new material may just be to replace the sex scenes).

There are three videos on this page with a sample of some of the voice acting. It's odd - I was annoyed in Kana Okaeri when they made Kana sound like a little girl in her vocal mannerisms, but the voice actress in the PSP version (while probably sounding closer to the Kana I imagine) sounds a bit too mature at times, like the voice actress is actually a middle-aged woman or something.

http://www.cyberfront.co.jp/title/kana/aboutl.html

I think we can consider Okaeri (with black-haired Kana) to be a remake, and the PSP version to be a port of the original game.

Interestingly, on the Amagami note, not sure if you know but they did several mangas that followed the various girls; but for some reason seemed to stop halfway through Rihoko's version, & didn't do Sae's at all (annoying for both of us -_- ); even though all the other girls were done to completion.
Maybe Rihoko and poor Sae-chan were too dull to keep the attention of the manga audience? Neither of them is exactly one of the poster girls for Amagami, after all.

Idaeus_004
4 years ago#36
Unfortunately it's nearly impossible in anything that gets voiced after-the-fact to get something that will perfectly match what you imagine in your head, especially when it's going to be in another language. One reason I rarely watched anime in English. With a few (admittedly very good) exceptions, English dubs tend to be mostly awful, lol; especially after you've got used to the proper Japanese voice actors...

But with Kana I'd have expected it to be difficult right from the go, since the story goes back as far as when she was about six years old, to at the end when she's over eighteen; meaning either multiple voice actresses would be needed (who would most likely not be able to make it sound like they were the same person at different ages), or one actress who would be able to make herself sound different ages (which does usually just end up sounding like a person trying to sound younger or older than they really are). Basically I'd have to say that even if & when I'm able to get my hands on either version of Okaeri, I'll be playing through it with voices turned off ... I've already got 'em in my head, & that's enough for me ^_^

It's probably a safe bet that the new scenes are there to basically give the explanations & plot advancements that happen in the sex scenes. Since KLS is obviously a game that has sex scenes which actually have substance & have a real purpose, then by removing them, the story contained within would have to be done elsewhere, otherwise there would be big bits in the story where people who didn't know KLS would be going "... wha'?"

Darkling183 posted...
Maybe Rihoko and poor Sae-chan were too dull to keep the attention of the manga audience? Neither of them is exactly one of the poster girls for Amagami, after all.

Most likely; although I always thought Sae was-chan was pretty popular? I mean, as much as I favored Rihoko, I know she was generally most peoples least favourite (Tbh, my first impressions led me to like Kaoru at first with Rihoko towards the rear too, she just climbed after I learned more about her character); but whenever I've seen people do Amagami polls, Sae's always done quite well...

She did have a few chapters placed randomly within the other girls arcs as 'bonus' or special acts, as did all the girls; but I was very surprised that she was the only one who didn't get a full manga-ization
of her arc at all ...

Darkling183
4 years ago#37
Idaeus_004 posted...
One reason I rarely watched anime in English. With a few (admittedly very good) exceptions, English dubs tend to be mostly awful, lol; especially after you've got used to the proper Japanese voice actors...
Yeah, I usually watch fansubs these days anyway, but the talent pool of American VAs working in the anime dubbing industry is so small that I was hearing the same voices again and again and again. Either that or the cast would be filled with a lot of amateurish newcomers I'd never heard before but who obviously work on the cheap.

The problem is that the subtitles for the Japanese audio track on official releases tend to be quite dry and literal, in my opinion, with no personality to them. So both languages can end up being somewhat sucky.

Fortunately (?), much like my situation with bishoujo games, I'm at the point where a high water mark has been reached by a lot of previous anime series in various genres, so I'm a lot more picky about what I watch nowadays. I've watched about a million romantic series set at a high school, for example, so one of those has to be really special to make an impression on me now.

Basically I'd have to say that even if & when I'm able to get my hands on either version of Okaeri, I'll be playing through it with voices turned off ... I've already got 'em in my head, & that's enough for me ^_^
Um... what would be the point, then? The voices were what gave the scripted lines different meaning and emphasis for me, eg the tone of voice used in a particular line of dialogue might not be what I had heard in my head when I played KLS, or the voice acting might add a deeper emotional dimension to a scene that hadn't been there for me before.

Anyway, I'll say it again - there's only one version of Kana Okaeri - the one with black-haired Kana. The PSP version is simply called Kana Imouto and goes back to the original character designs, so I think we can consider it to be a PG-rated port of KLS.

It's probably a safe bet that the new scenes are there to basically give the explanations & plot advancements that happen in the sex scenes.
Yeah, I think so too. Like the graphic with Yumi lying (clothed) on Taka's bed, or Taka and Yumi kissing.

What I find interesting is that one of the unused graphics from the opening video of the original KLS (Taka and Kana kissing in what looks like her hospital room) seems to have been reinstated in the PSP port (it's in the first video on that page I linked above).

Most likely; although I always thought Sae was-chan was pretty popular?
I have no idea, actually. I just always thought of Haruka, Kaoru, Tsukasa and Ai as the ones who were usually front and centre. Rihoko and Sae are both less mainstream than the other four, in my opinion.

I do know that the general consensus is that Miya is awesome, though, which I'm fully on board with, so at least that's all right. =)

Idaeus_004
4 years ago#38
Darkling183 posted...
Um... what would be the point, then?

Lol, my bad, what I meant by that was that I'd try the voices, but after having a strong idea of how the voices 'should' be in my head; I'd probably find them really strange & have to turn them off in order to enjoy the game as much as before. I'd still be willing to try them & be hopeful that they'd be good though. :)

Darkling183 posted...
Anyway, I'll say it again - there's only one version of Kana Okaeri - the one with black-haired Kana. The PSP version is simply called Kana Imouto and goes back to the original character designs, so I think we can consider it to be a PG-rated port of KLS.

Agreed. From what you've said & I've seen, it definitely seems like Okaeri is a 'remake' whereas the PSP version is just a PG-port of the original.

Still I can't begrudge them for wanting to 'freshen up' the game by giving it new graphics for Okaeri. It was most likely made for new players rather than existing fans; & they probably felt newer players might not like the more 'traditionally styled' images; so they redid them. Obviously the fact that the PSP ver went back to the old images (& the older style for the new images they added) show's how that worked out, haha.

Darkling183 posted...
What I find interesting is that one of the unused graphics from the opening video of the original KLS (Taka and Kana kissing in what looks like her hospital room) seems to have been reinstated in the PSP port (it's in the first video on that page I linked above).

Aaah, I'll confess, I didn't notice that until you mentioned it ... Nice touch on their behalf. I like that they seem to have found places for a few of the unused images from KLS's intro. I can only assume that they were originally images for scenes that never made it into the finished VN, but they decided to keep them as a part of the intro scene.

Darkling183 posted...
I just always thought of Haruka, Kaoru, Tsukasa and Ai as the ones who were usually front and centre. Rihoko and Sae are both less mainstream than the other four, in my opinion.

I know that definitely Haruka & Tsukasa are definitely the 'poster girls' for Amagami, but (besides Haruka getting her arc done first) they actually did the mangas in a pretty random order. Think Tsukasa's was one of the last (might've actually been, not counting Rihokos unfinished one, or Sae-chans nonexistent arc).

Alas, I often seem to favor the girls that end up getting ignored by the creators of this kinda stuff, lol. Oh well ...

Darkling183
4 years ago#39
Idaeus_004 posted...
Lol, my bad, what I meant by that was that I'd try the voices, but after having a strong idea of how the voices 'should' be in my head; I'd probably find them really strange & have to turn them off in order to enjoy the game as much as before. I'd still be willing to try them & be hopeful that they'd be good though. :)
Ah, I understand now. As I said, I was initially put off when I first started playing Kana Okaeri and sixteen-year-old Kana had those little-girl mannerisms to her voice. I felt that it was a cliche I'd already seen in too many anime series already, and didn't do Kana's individuality any justice. However, the VA's acting performance was very good, so I quickly began to accept her as Kana.

To be honest, though, I've always thought that Kana sounds like the vocalist for 'The White Season', since that was the only point of reference I had for years when playing KLS. The VA playing her in the PSP port doesn't sound too bad, but her voice is a little lower than I imagine Kana sounding.

Still I can't begrudge them for wanting to 'freshen up' the game by giving it new graphics for Okaeri.
Yeah, I'd heard of Okaeri long before I ever played KLS. The big fansite for KLS (now unfortunately defunct) was Kana's Left Kidney, and I eagerly lapped up everything that the site owner had to say about the game.

One of his pages was devoted to the upcoming (at the time - 2004) PG-rated remake of the game for Xbox. He had side-by-side comparison screenshots showing brown-haired Kana and black-haired Kana. Though I wonder what the hell I was thinking now, at the time I preferred black-haired Kana because she looked more conventionally cute.

Anyway, the Xbox release never happened, and eventually the game's assets emerged (with ero scenes restored) as Kana Okaeri on the PC. By that point, I think it was six or seven years since KLS's original Japanese release in 1999.

I like that they seem to have found places for a few of the unused images from KLS's intro. I can only assume that they were originally images for scenes that never made it into the finished VN, but they decided to keep them as a part of the intro scene.
Yeah, presumably the opening video was made before the game was completely finished, resulting in some inconsistencies. I did find a use for the last shot of Kana in the rain, though, so I'm not complaining too much. It was just too powerful an image to ignore.

I know that definitely Haruka & Tsukasa are definitely the 'poster girls' for Amagami, but (besides Haruka getting her arc done first) they actually did the mangas in a pretty random order. Think Tsukasa's was one of the last (might've actually been, not counting Rihokos unfinished one, or Sae-chans nonexistent arc).
Maybe that was on purpose, to keep people anticipating the character they really like? Tsukasa's arc was the final one in the first season of the anime, too, after all.

Alas, I often seem to favor the girls that end up getting ignored by the creators of this kinda stuff, lol. Oh well ...
Oh, I hear you, brother. As I've mentioned before, I have this annoying tendency to fixate on side characters who never get any time in the spotlight. Maybe I just like girls who are more or less blank slates, so I can fill in the details for myself?

User Info: virumor

virumor
4 years ago#40
Similar to Okaeri, there's going to be a remake of Kazoku Keikaku/Family Project.

http://www.cyberfront.co.jp/title/do/index.html

Just like Okaeri, it's a lame cashgrab.
  1. Boards
  2. Kana Little Sister
  3. Definitely worthwhile ... (Spoliers)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived