Wow...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them

User Info: PIM-001

PIM-001
1 year ago#21
I do agree that shiroi kisetsu's lyrics were deeply touching. Had i've been 5 years younger, i would've cried too...
Oh well, i guess i'll use shiroi kisetsu's lyrics for next week's English poetry assignment.
Nah, i can access the lyrics page. Sorry, my bad. I added a 'l' behind htm...×_×
No shiosai no melody's lyrics yet?

User Info: BookwormDolaDe

BookwormDolaDe
1 year ago#22
When I had played the game for the first time in 2008, I started digging around the net for anything related to Kana, and I downloaded some stuff from websites which have long since gone defunct, like the fansite Kana's Left Kidney. I don't remember where I got these two songs from Kana Okaeri, but I don't think that website still exists anyway.

I've never seen any English translations of Shiosai No Melody or Message; but I'll have a look and see if I can find the Japanese original text somewhere.

Playing KLS can indeed have a strong influence; when I played it, I fell in love with Kana just like Darkling did (by the way, it was actually him who got me hooked on Kana - I bought the game after I had read the fanfics he had written). I wouldn't call it an obsession, but I certainly will not forget her.

User Info: Darkling183

Darkling183
1 year ago#23
PIM-001 posted...
I've played a lot of bishoujo games, and believe me, nothing came close to KLS in terms of impact.
Well, most bishoujo games that have been officially translated into English are all about the sex, or a particular fetish. However, KLS is what the Japanese call a nakige - a game designed to make the player cry. G-Collections moved away from translating that sort of story-based game and more towards sex romps as the years went by, though, so KLS is still a rarity among English-translated bishoujo games in terms of its emotional content.

Well duh, normally i would say that obsessing over a fictional character for years borders on pathological, but in this case, i think it's an exception. There's just something about Kana... =)
Amen. Been there and done that. For weeks after I finished playing through all of the routes in the game, I actually grieved for Kana. She was gone, and I missed her. There was no more game content left for me to go through and spend more time with her, except for small things like going back and choosing a restaurant instead of a fast food place, which were small comfort.

No shiosai no melody's lyrics yet?
The English translation of Kana ~Okaeri~ only came out last year (with the two new songs), and the real boom period of KLS fandom had been over for years by then. A fan on another website translated Believe and For You, but I don't even remember how many years ago that was. I'm not sure if we'll ever see translations of the two vocal songs from Okaeri. =/

BookwormDolaDe posted...
I've never seen any English translations of Shiosai No Melody or Message; but I'll have a look and see if I can find the Japanese original text somewhere.
This is the closest thing I could find in my Japanese-illiterate search, but I think the text is probably too small to read.

http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/c92bc611728b47106512a37cc0cec3fdfd0323cf.jpg

PIM-001
1 year ago#24
Well duh, glad i asked :D long since defunct hm? Well to be honest i don't think there were anymore dudes out there even still remembered this vn. But oh well, glad i'm here :D
Yeah, darkling wrote fanfics, i've seen that much visiting his website, but i haven't read it though, he threatened me not to dig further until i've bring kana out alive XD

PIM-001
1 year ago#25
Yeah, most vn's i seen were bishoujos, and i could count on one hand which of those got a good, non-generic storyline. And even then, fewer still contains good, emotional story...pity.
You grieved for Kana? You said there IS a way to bring her back alive?
On an unrelated note, i prefer the cafeteria compared to the fast food one and the fancy one. Kana's so cute when she stutters...
Well if we never saw it, then i guess i have to ask some of my otaku friends to translate...
BTW, is there no anime adaptation of KLS?

Darkling183
1 year ago#26
Yeah, Kana's Left Kidney was the fansite that convinced me to play the game. It was a shame when the site went down (five or so years ago now?). =(

Yes, there's a way for Kana to survive. Basically, I was grieving because over my time playing the game, she had become practically a real person to me, a real presence in my life, and suddenly she was gone. There was no more story to read, no more cute or heartbreaking things to learn about her - no more time with her. I had experienced everything that had ever been written about Kana, and I felt a huge sense of loss because I wanted more.

And even though she did live eventually, I still consider the first ending I got to be 'what actually happened' for me. That was Ending 5.

No, there's never been an anime adaptation of KLS, unfortunately. It's kind of a cult hit (its writer has gone on to become quite famous for his subsequent bishoujo games), but I don't know if it was ever hugely financially successful in Japan.

PIM-001
1 year ago#27
No kana anime? Oh man...
Yep, me too i guess...i'm eager for more :D
Well it's a pity, but virtually everything that's haven't been rebooted sequeled or such's pretty much extinct. But i guess that's what's made them (Kana included) special, no?
Well i guess i knew how you feels. Kana's sometimes feels real to me too...maybe that's because she never refered to Taka by name? Maybe because she was just that adorable? Maybe the way the story is written? Either way...
Ending 5? Which one is that?

Darkling183
1 year ago#28
PIM-001 posted...
Well i guess i knew how you feels. Kana's sometimes feels real to me too...maybe that's because she never refered to Taka by name? Maybe because she was just that adorable? Maybe the way the story is written? Either way...
I think it's partly because the story does its best to make the player start feeling protective of Kana just like Taka does, and partly because the game places so much focus on Kana. There are very few other bishoujo games where one single character gets so much attention and character development. It gives Kana a lot of depth and makes her feel more 'real', for want of a better word.

Ending 5? Which one is that?
I don't want to get too deep into spoiler territory, but I'm pretty sure it's the same one you got. If your game ended with Taka crying over Kana's diary, that's Ending 5. If there was a scene after that where Taka has a conversation at university, that's Ending 6.

You should be able to check which endings you've unlocked from the game's title screen - under 'Extras' or whatever it's called in the 2015 version.

PIM-001
1 year ago#29
Well, that's my ending alright. Well you thought that was what really happens? I opened KLS just now and then, there's an option named 'i had a little sister' when i clicked new game so, maybe you're right, that's what actually happens. Damn, if the good ending's that tragic, then i don't wanna know the bad ending.
Yeah. While most other, if not all, vns focuses on two or more...to be fair KLS does gave two female interests, but the way i see it, taka only bangs yumi because she reminds him of kana. Or that's what is implied, correct me if i'm wrong.

Darkling183
1 year ago#30
PIM-001 posted...
Well, that's my ending alright. Well you thought that was what really happens?
Not so much that I think that's the 'canon' ending or anything (I think everyone would want the canon ending to be one where Kana lives), but I see it as what would have happened if I were Taka. It's 'my' ending. I would have tried to make her smart. I would have tried to teach her to be strong enough to face the reality of her medical condition. I would have wanted her to make as much out of her life as she could, given the circumstances.

I opened KLS just now and then, there's an option named 'i had a little sister' when i clicked new game so, maybe you're right, that's what actually happens.
The 'I had a little sister' option is just a little side story that pops up after you get one of the endings where Kana donates her liver to Cana (I think). It's not very long - just a couple of scenes at most.

the way i see it, taka only bangs yumi because she reminds him of kana. Or that's what is implied, correct me if i'm wrong.
Well, I think initially he enters into the relationship with Yumi because he feels it's his responsibility after having sex with her (even though she was the one who forced herself on him), and partly because of their history from the fifth grade. After that, though, I agree - he starts desiring Kana sexually and tries his hardest to fight it, so he uses Yumi as an outlet for those feelings of lust.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived