Monster Evolution Paths

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy Legend II
  3. Monster Evolution Paths

User Info: 68k

2 years ago#1
How do you all plan out monster paths? I know there is a calculator available on Amuseum's site, but it doesn't seem to help plan out an entire transformation chain without getting extremely complicated. I've thought about charting out a master spreadsheet, but it would insanely huge.

I'm working on putting together a single-segment, no glitch, 100% speed run of the game, and in the process of weighing all of my options for a party, I've realized it's going to tough to calculate which monsters I may want for certain areas and how to plan for each transformation within the scope of a speedrun. I'm just wondering if I'm missing an easier way to plot out monster evolutions throughout the game.

User Info: DragonAtma

DragonAtma
2 years ago#2
Normally I don't, with one exception: if you start the game with a C-type monster (Baby-D) and don't eat ANY meat until you reach the first B-type meat (which is rank 2), the resulting monster will also be a C-type... but virtually all C-types have nothing below rank 4 or 5, hence your monster will be rank 4 or 5. that'll help you defeat enemies fairly quickly (at least until your others are rank 4), and Ashura is definitely petrifiable.
My NES, SNES, and GB all work just fine. Why should I downgrade to a Wii U, PS4, or XBone?

User Info: _Kaz

_Kaz
2 years ago#3
The transformation isn't as complex as it seems. If you pick a "goal" family, you can easily plot how "steps" it would take to reach it.

The simplest method is reducing the number of meats you eat to "1" (e.g. the Dragon + WereMan = Sprite), but the starting Imp (class-B, family 31) can reach the Sprite class (family 32) by eating a meat that gives +1 family... which there is none.

Note that each meat changes family types by +/- 3, 6, 9, 12, etc. So if your family was B, +/- 3 means it will turn into another B. That's where class-type comes into play. Eating a meat that's a different class-type than your current monster usually causes a slight change in family-type. So doing some maths... Imp can eat a class-C meat for a +1 family change, taking from the B-family line (1, 4, 7, 10, etc.) to the C-family line (2, 5, 8, 11...).

Back to the 2nd paragraph, a starting Imp needs a +1 change to jump from family 31 (Imps & Fiends) to family 32 (Sprites & Fairies). That won't happen in a single step, so you need to go up-and-down quickly. So let's pick a random "class-C" monster to get that +1 out of the way... say a Sprite (family -21)

Imp (class B, family 31)
+Sprite (class modifier +1, family modifier -21)
= Moth (class C, family 11)

From a Moth, you can eat Woodman OR Hofud meat (class-C can eat class-B or class-C meat without hitting a class modifier) to turn into a Sprite.

The issue with this line of math is... you don't encounter any class-C creatures until Guardian's Base -- a world WELL after Ashura's. In fact, that is why Baby-D is considered the most advanced starting monster -- it starts out as a class-C meaning if you eat only class-B monster meats, you remain on the class-C family-line... and the class-C family line is filled with some heavy hitters.
Fighter: "Mr Pibb", "Dr Pepper".. I'm onto you..
Kaz Fact: Welcome to Version 2.0!

User Info: alex_rak

alex_rak
2 years ago#4
Not true. You fight many class c monsters in apollos world just before guardian world. Big eye, raven, griffon, medusa to name a few. I think this is the earliest world. Seems to me that you fight a tree in ki but im not sure

User Info: _Kaz

_Kaz
2 years ago#5
Apollo's world was before Guardian's? Wow, my memory is faltering.
Fighter: "Mr Pibb", "Dr Pepper".. I'm onto you..
Kaz Fact: Welcome to Version 2.0!

User Info: alex_rak

alex_rak
2 years ago#6
yep. world 4 vs. 5
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy Legend II
  3. Monster Evolution Paths

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived