So I've been playing EarthBound Zero...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. EarthBound
  3. So I've been playing EarthBound Zero...

User Info: JennaAngel17

JennaAngel17
7 years ago#11
Battles are fewer and more rewarding in Earthbound, the graphics are naturally better, there's a lot more dialouge and diversity of settings. Mother is a cool game, but it's basically something that these days is probably only discovered by EB fanatics... and for a reason.

Earthbound is extremely playable, extremely enjoyable, and charming beyond belief. It's a real experience aside from being a very fun game, so PLEASE don't let its precursor turn you off. You'd be doing yourself a real disservice.
I pity you people who don't drink: when you wake up in the morning, that's as good as you'll feel all day.

Battles are fewer and more rewarding in Earthbound, the graphics are naturally better, there's a lot more dialouge and diversity of settings. Mother is a cool game, but it's basically something that these days is probably only discovered by EB fanatics... and for a reason.

Earthbound is extremely playable, extremely enjoyable, and charming beyond belief. It's a real experience aside from being a very fun game, so PLEASE don't let its precursor turn you off. You'd be doing yourself a real disservice.

I couldn't have said it better myself! Good to see there are big EB fans that still visit this board!
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.

User Info: Low Rida

Low Rida
7 years ago#13
Mother is a rancid piece of excrement that's better stuck to the bottom of your boot then occupying your time.

Well, actually, it is ok to play-through once, but beyond that, I pretty much can't stand the game. It's the very definition of tedious, and often doesn't give you much help getting to your next target. Maybe I should give it another chance, but that's about as likely as a M3 localization.

And on that note, listen to everyone in this topic: Earthbound is light-years ahead of Mother in terms of... well, everything. The characters, story, game play, NPC's, atmosphere, graphics, and everything I didn't list, are all vastly superior. Whether or not you stick it out with Mother, you HAVE to play Earthbound. It's an experience you'll never forget and will want to relive countless times.
When it comes to the past, we all stack the deck.

User Info: Elsporko

Elsporko
7 years ago#14
I think Mother has one of the saddest parts of a video game ever and the openness is fun, but the game is pretty flawed. I don't usually think games need to be remade but Mother is an exception.
Dumbbaby.net
Please visit Dumb Baby- the best secret website on the internets!*~

User Info: Ecchage

Ecchage
7 years ago#15
The only I never figured out was where to really go in the beginning. If i had known where to go I would've beaten it by now.

User Info: 05E1

05E1
7 years ago#16
I think Mother has one of the saddest parts of a video game ever and the openness is fun, but the game is pretty flawed. I don't usually think games need to be remade but Mother is an exception.

Are you referring to the final boss battle?

User Info: qwerty107

qwerty107
7 years ago#17
Yeah I would never have been able to figure out where to go without the guide at starmen.net

The last boss isn't as hectic as the mountain with a little setup
All we need is a little less tragedy. - All We Need by Pennywise

User Info: Drea

Drea
7 years ago#18
EarthBound Zero just suffers from NES rpg syndrome. I've played through it a number of times, but if you just want to experience the game, pick up the easy patch. It lowers the encounter rate some and gives you 2x or 3x the exp and money for each fight. (I forget which.)

Makes the game much more enjoyable for people that can't stand the grind game.

Earthbound, on the other hand, is a much smoother experience. No random encounters and no grinding to speak of, much more NPC interaction.

User Info: SirIlpalazzo

SirIlpalazzo
7 years ago#19
I think that the reason the game seems like a grind-fest is because you're supposed to explore the world and find out where to go on your own, fighting and leveling naturally along the way. If you use guides and go directly where you're supposed to, you miss out on those extra fights, and then you're forced to grind.

Also, I think it helps to play the game on a TV with a controller instead of with a keyboard on a computer. When I did my first playthrough on a computer and with a guide, I liked the game but thought it was pretty tedious. When I played it a year and a half later on my TV, without external assistance, I enjoyed it a lot more.
I am sure people have many nice memories of yelling at their controllers.~Keiji Inafune

User Info: Arcadew

Arcadew
7 years ago#20
I played it for a bit at first and stopped because of all the grinding, but with the 2x experience patch it's a lot more bearable. The maps on Starmen.net also help a LOT for places like Duncan's Factory. But yeah, EarthBound pretty much improved on everything gameplay-wise and made it a lot more accessible (except the inventory system...), as to be expected of a SNES sequel to a NES game.
  1. Boards
  2. EarthBound
  3. So I've been playing EarthBound Zero...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived