Group Playthrough Chapter 2: Twoson and Happy Happy Village

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. EarthBound
  3. Group Playthrough Chapter 2: Twoson and Happy Happy Village

User Info: Lockeadon

Lockeadon
4 months ago#81
skater43 posted...
sandmanofdarkdreams posted...
Progress tonight guys! I rescued Paula and am ready to tackle the 2nd sanctuary dungeon. Has anyone opted to tackle it later or did anyone by chance forget about it?

Actually, I took this on earlier today. Paula ain't going anywhere, I can get her later. :) One of the townsfolk was talking about the cave, so I went exploring. Picked up a couple of levels, eventually found the sanctuary, so took on the mondo mole. Did some damage, but didn't kill me. Flash didn't seem to do much, though it did say it made him cry. Took him down at level 25; I'm at 26 now (getting 5800 exp from the Mole goes a long way to leveling one up).

- On the topic of Happy Happy Village, did any of you guys steal from the food stand? Were there any moral conflicts that caused you to steal or not steal?

Didn't do this. Talked to the guy who said he was watching the stand, but otherwise didn't do anything with it.

- I'm also curious if anyone tried to confront the Carpainter before visiting Paula in the cabin.

I sort of did. I talked to him and tried to join, but I didn't have the $50 on me at the time (one of the other townsfolk was disappointed I didn't have any cash on me either. Excuse me for dying a bunch in PRV and not wanting to keep any money on my person).

Its been a great revisit to the game so far. The music, sound, trippy battle backgrounds, dialogue, all of it is so nostalgic and awesome. One last fun fact that I'll probably include in the chapter 3 tips as well is the fact that you can play the game entirely with your left hand only. Sometimes when I'm feeling particularly lazy I'll do it. Hope everyone is having a good night. I'll take a swig of iced whiskey, just for you guys!

I'm enjoying this, too. Got some classic RPG elements, but some new mechanics that keep things new and fresh. We're on an epic quest to save humanity, but the game doesn't take itself seriously. Lot to like here and I'm looking forward to the rest of the game.

As stated, I finished the sanctuary cave, but still need to rescue Paula, so that'll be my next objective. I have talked to her, so gotten the Franklin bracelet (which apparently we don't equip but just keep in our inventory), just need to talk to Carpainter again and go from there.

ya, flash doesnt do direct damage, it inflicts random status effects instead

in earthbound, the possible status effects it can cause are crying, which reduces physical accuracy, feeling strange, which messes with targeting, paralysis, which makes nonpsi attacks impossible, or at least way less likely, and instant death. the chances of the more debilitating effects increase with level

Lockeadon
4 months ago#82
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDroaoorfgA

User Info: Golden_Torizo

Golden_Torizo
4 months ago#83
Hello EarthBounders How's it going?

@Lockeadon and @Ajogamer my apologies for the mix-up. I'll try hard not to do that again. :)

So I never found a crotchety old lady who would hit you with a hand bag. I suppose with the demise of Mondo Mole she has reverted back to normal. :( So that's 3 things at least, I missed in this section.

1) I missed getting the Ruler for whatever useless purpose it had.
2) I missed the Old Lady swing a handbag.
3) I missed stealing the eggs and the ensuing fight.

Anything else you guys can think of that is a part of Twoson. I'm thinking all I have to do is go to the theater and do the Runaway Five stuff. Yup! I got the Supora... I know, I know!
Holy smokes the sounds in the Mondo cave are so freakin' eerie.

I was also going to post my stats, so let me fire up and do that. Crap! I need to get to town and dump some stuff and check my cash. I'll do this later...

Question: Why must you be outside when Escargo comes? And is it the same for the Mach Pizza guy?

You all enjoy the rest of your Throwback.
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks
sandmanofdarkdreams 4 months ago#84
Alrighty, I had time to finish up tonight. I leveled up Paula so she would learn a few vital PSI skills and not be so squishy against the cave enemies. The battle against Mondo Mole was...well it was something, though I will say I had fun barely scraping by. For one, Ness got homesick about halfway through the cave cause thats just how my luck works. Decided to go for broke and push on. Paula is really not helpful against the mole, so she tried her chances with thunder alpha and and feeding Ness croissants when his HP got low. I actually got thunder to hit once, but MM healed himself a few times and I realized I needed to go all out. Got a few Rockin alphas to connect and remembered Paula had a bomb, so had her toss that.

Unfortunately Paula's luck ran out when she got torn into. Instead of healing her from death's door, Ness decided to think of home instead. I was out of PP (hehe) and couldn't even cast Lifeup at this point. I knew he was getting low and decided it was time to go all out on a last offense. Ness started repeatedly bashing, but it wasn't long before I took a fatal hit. As my HP rolled its way down to KO, I just tanked the further hits a brute forced my way to victory with a few more swings. Scary, but a really fun battle! Ended the battle with just Ness alive at level 21 and 51 hp. The trip back to Twoson was simple with the bridge fixed. Now I'm all set for the Blues...er, Runaway Five concert next week. Ness is lvl 22, and Paula is lvl 15.

@funkadelius yeah I enjoyed the Twoson and Preschool theme (Paula's Theme) in particular this chapter. Those songs always put me in a good mood. The fact that you only played this game briefly yet had the song stick with you so much is a testament to how much a good tune can impact you.

Golden_Torizo posted...
1) I missed getting the Ruler for whatever useless purpose it had.
2) I missed the Old Lady swing a handbag.
3) I missed stealing the eggs and the ensuing fight.

1) You can still buy them from a kid in Burglin Park. Trust me, you aren't missing much as they do next to nothing...unless you want to figure out the size of things easily!
2) She is one of the blue human enemies you can encounter on the outskirts of Twoson, much like the annoying old party man, hippie, and unassuming local guy.
3) Another thing you aren't missing out too much on. Free eggs can be hatched into chickens and sold for $110 a piece but I doubt you are hurting on money. If you steal and then talk to the stand monitor you'll have to fight him.

Golden_Torizo posted...
Question: Why must you be outside when Escargo comes? And is it the same for the Mach Pizza guy?

Ha, about that...I had this happen. Never seen this in my years of playing EB.

http://i.imgur.com/262a3Yk.jpg

That's a wrap for me but I'll definitely keep up with conversations here! Cheers guys.
Retro Revival: Group playthroughs of classic games, game discussions, and anything off topic is welcome - https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1145-retro-revival

User Info: Mr_GGFan

Mr_GGFan
4 months ago#85
CarbonDragon posted...
sandmanofdarkdreams posted...
@Mr_GGFan

I enjoy your lengthy commentary

Engage him, how does he know you take him seriously otherwise?

Eh? Is this a troll post?
The eternal voice of reason
"Around the World on the Internet" - my second memoir is in the works

Golden_Torizo
4 months ago#86
Howdy Gamers,

Good grief, that task took a while... but here are my stats :

The stats for Ness and Paula:

STATUS

Ness Level 34 - - - Paula Lev 27
Hit Points 260 - - - Hit Points 108
Psychic Pts 93 - - - Psychic Pts 100
Exp Pts 165776 - - - Exp Points 83382
Next Lev 16953 - - - Next Level 6755
Offense 76 - - - Offense 48
Defense 43 - - - Defense 40
Speed 15 - - - Speed 28
Guts 25 - - - Guts 15
Vitality 17 - - - Vitality 07
Intel Quo 18 - - - Intel Quo 20
Luck 22 - - - Luck 15

WEAPONS & GEAR

Ness - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Paula
Weapon / Sand Lot bat - - - Weapon / Fry Pan
Body / Travel Charm - - - Great Charm
Arms / Copper Bracelet - - - Copper Bracelet
Other / Hard Hat - - - Ribbon

GOODS

Ness Carries - - - - - - - - - - Paula Carries
Weap & Gear - - - Weap & Gear
ATM Card - - - 3 Croissant
Sound Stone - - - Refreshing Herb
Town Map - - - Jar of Hot Sauce
Exit Mouse
Receiver Phone
Franklin Badge
Hand-Aid
Backstage Pass

PSI

Ness - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Paula
LifeUp Alpha & Beta - - - PSI Fire Alpha & Beta
Healing Alpha & Beta - - - PSI Freeze Alpha & Beta
PSI Flash Alpha - - - PSI Thunder Alpha & Beta
PSI Jammin' Alpha & Beta - - - PSI Magnet Alpha & Omega
Shield Alpha & Beta - - - PSI Shield Alpha & Sigma
Hypnosis Alpha & Omega - - - Offense Up Alpha
Paralysis Alpha & Omega - - -

Money - - - $28,616

@sandmanofdarkdreams Yeah, I got the eggs in BP. Funny that old guy is still in Twoson fighting you. I think he is the only person that still fights you in this section of play. Why? Everyone else either thanks Ness or apologizes for their bad behavior. Oh, and I asked the question way back when about the Wad of Money I now know why I couldn't deposit it. Every time you win the lottery your list of friends and family grows. . :)

Hago guys and dolls...
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks

Lockeadon
4 months ago#87
you can go ahead and put that backstage pass in storage soon, you never need it after you use it to see the runaway five in twoson and free them of their debt

User Info: funkadelius

funkadelius
4 months ago#88
@Lockeadon it's cool that someone took the time to do that, seems to be a thing with EB, because I encountered a version of Pollyanna that had lyrics. I'll see if I can dig it up.

@sandmanofdarkdreams Yes, there's a few songs like that for me. I really miss the thematic music from this era, though there are some indie games that have kept the tradition alive very nicely.

Well, I'm way over levelled and trashed Mondo Mole. Maybe I'll ease up on grinding now haha. Gotta admit, it is nice to be able to power through these bosses. I didn't have time to really grind when I rented the game all those years ago, so it's kind of vindicating to blast through it.

Whelp, great play through so far! Looking forward to seeing everyone's posts for the next area.
I am Error. Check out my YouTube channel:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCApMBqrP3fY1s6AiqQ3yTug?

Golden_Torizo
4 months ago#89
Lockeadon posted...
you can go ahead and put that backstage pass in storage soon, you never need it after you use it to see the runaway five in twoson and free them of their debt

Good Day EarthBounders it's here, it's here, the weekend's here!

I got you this time... Hiiii Lockeadon... hehehe Sorry again for that mix-up. So I can actually trash it to make room in my Escargo Storage also. Good enough! Thank you!

So I don't really want to open the game as I know I'd grind more levels. :) I don't y'all, I just don't like struggle. I don't want to have to melee even the least enemy. It will always be my preference to trounce my enemies and move on. So I want my hero to be the Superman type hero rather than the Batman
type. So that unless they have my protag's Kryptonite...

Enjoy your Friday... wohoooooo!

User Info: kefkamademedoit

kefkamademedoit
4 months ago#90
Finally took down the mole. A teddy bear was dropped to me right before the fight, so that made things easier. Ness knew his psi B attack, so that was hitting for a nice 140 and I got lucky with thunder hitting right away as well. The teddy bear took the first big hit, 11 was hit and reduced to 3 life. I was able to heal her and then hit him again the next round with psi "soccer" B and 11s normal attack. She picked up 2 levels so I think they are at 23-15 now.

Man, some of the lines in the theater before the show "when I sit this close to the stage sometimes I get sweat or spit on my from the runaway 5"

"hey, hey, hey, don't stand close to me I just farted, sorry"

lol.

Stopping hear for now until ch 3.
Join us as we do group playthroughs for classic games! http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1145-retro-revival
  1. Boards
  2. EarthBound
  3. Group Playthrough Chapter 2: Twoson and Happy Happy Village

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived