Unanswered Question Topic II

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Lagoon
  3. Unanswered Question Topic II

User Info: BassForever

BassForever
7 years ago#151
Are the differences purely visual or are they're any gameplay changes?
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.

User Info: ChampionOfLight

ChampionOfLight
7 years ago#152

Just been lurking in the shadows...been busy otherwise.

@ lagoon_remake: I like the sound of that recreation. I have no programming knowldge when it comes to games, otherwise I'd try offering a hand. Checked out the blog too.....pretty ambitious stuff.

@ Stormyy: You and your sister aren't alonw. This topic is proof. I always thought for the longest time. "I must be the only person who gave two hoots about Lagoon.", considering all the loathing and rotten tomatoes it has thrown at it by other gamers.

Flawed it is, but not impossible to beat. I've done so a good few times.

That's why I look forward to what lagoon_remake and others lending a hand to them, may have in store. Not to make the game less difficult, but rather, make things more fluid and tweak some of the badly-placed 'cheap shots' the game throws at the player, forcing a "Game Over".

=====

In all honesty, and this would be something I'm sure others would like to see. A translation of the Sharp version. I'm not at all fluent in Japanese (which alphabet is used I do not know). Before game ratings, Nintendo did their hardest to censor stories to the point where some plot elements got lost in the name of being PC and whatnot. Plus I'm sure the story between the Japanese Sharp / Super Famicom versions and SNES version is different in areas.

Speaking of the music, I now have a very advanced keyboard (it wasn't cheap) upon which I could easily adjust the filters to its various piano, drum and guitar (electric and slap bass) sounds to recreate that "sound" (I call it the 'Lagoon sound', because it's the only game that has it) the Super Famicom/SNES version has, sequencing the music via MIDI software on my PC with output to the keyboard itself then output back to the PC to record it (or I can record to a USB stick on the board itself). I'm always intrigued at how the music programmers in Japan got that thick, echoey sound with just a few voices and 8 channels to work with. It's also very "Ys'-ish", being rock/synth-oriented. Very unique, considering this is both a JRPG, and one with Western themes (Come on now, how many JRPGs have elves, dwarves and hobbit folk? Not many that I can think of) Most Western-themed RPGs have orchestral soundtracks.

I think I've said it before about 'favorite music' in the game. I don't have track names on hand, but for me, it's the music played in these locations:

- Opening cinema / Final boss (the red demon)
- Title screen
- Atland (Usually town themes in RPGs are standard, light orchestrations (hear: FFVI). This one drives with that up-beat sound with a big drum / bass backing.)
- Gold Cave / Secret Place (Ominous, especially in the Gold Cave)
- Voloh
- Philips Castle
- Poper (This and Voloh's track have that melancholy feel)
- Silence Cave / Lagoon Castle Terrace / Nymphs' cave
- Ice Cave

Good to be joining everyone again. If I could just be less busy. I think all this talk calls for another playthrough.

BassForever
7 years ago#153
Just beat the game for no reason last two days, frustrating as ever because I used a map this time to get though the dungeons faster, so I was constantly under leveled :|
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.

ChampionOfLight
7 years ago#154

I can't believe for me it's almost been 18 years since the first time I played Lagoon. My how time flies away.

I always got lost in the castles and couldn't find soem items back in those days (1992-1993). This was way before the Internet became 'mainstream' enough, so I wound up signing and sending out that cilp-out coupon on the back of the instruction manual for that "hint book" Kemco-Seika was offering.

While it didn't offer much for 'hints', the maps and item locations were still a help, plus I got a fairly scarce 'collectable' in the process. I know I still have that book somewhere......

User Info: Neofrodo

Neofrodo
7 years ago#155
I'm abit late to the party. :P

Umm...I never found the Shiny Ball *useless*. I actually found it very useful on the final boss. It just takes ****in forever to get the money for it. Good thing I get lost alot in dungeons. : )
I shall head onward, so dawdleth not! Heareth me, princess of silly peaches? - Luvbi from Super Paper Mario

ChampionOfLight
7 years ago#156

Better do all the fighting for gold between the Elf Field and Ice Cave areas in the game for that Shiney Ball though. Once you use the Bell in the Nymphs' Cave and get whisked away to Phantom Hill, there is no going back.

Just a little hint for any newbies to the game. Atland is inaccessable past Gold Cave, but once you've done all you need in that town and Gold Cave, there's no need to return, and the meat of the game is inaccessable after the Nymph Cave. By the endgame (Phantom Hill, Clouds, Lagoon Castle, & Secret Place) gold is virtually useless.

Blows me away how some chests in Lagoon Castle still spit gold out when you don't need it anymore. Though that may just be my fault, since by that time in the game I have a Healing Pot and / or other curative/restoring items in my inventory, which forces the game to fork over gold in place of a restorative item that would otherwise be in those chests.

That ball, and also the Life Statue and Elixer are musts at the final set of bosses. Forget rings....they are useless along with magic. Whcih really stinks, but the boss fights are the challenge of the game.

Which poses another question. What is up with the Time Ring being the last thing you get? It found it useless. If there's a use for that, enlighten me.

BassForever
7 years ago#157
I'd disagree, rings are very useful for the final boss

The str ring can make the first boss fairly easy (green devil) after that you get your mp back and you can save it for the cure ring against Thor

User Info: lkfklaseurhfuia

lkfklaseurhfuia
7 years ago#158
I'm not sure if I could ever win the last fight without restoring my health at least once. That boss on Phantom Hill always forces me to use one of my heal items. And the Ice Cave fight? Hard not to heal there too. Yer gonna have to retry these fights!

BassForever
7 years ago#159
I've always just tried to kill the Phantom Hill boss before needing to heal.

User Info: Lhunthangion

Lhunthangion
7 years ago#160
Good to see this topic is still going :)

And about people caring or not about Lagoon... Take a look at the original Unanswered Question Topic that's archived here. ^.^
I AM ERROR.
  1. Boards
  2. Lagoon
  3. Unanswered Question Topic II

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived