Unanswered Question Topic II

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Lagoon
  3. Unanswered Question Topic II

User Info: AR788

AR788
6 years ago#171
Hi everybody! I was looking around on google image for images of Lagoon for X68000, and I found a Japanese Lagoon fansite with fanart and SC-88 Midi renditions of some of the music from the game! Here's the website in question: http://ora.sakura.ne.jp/zoom/frame.html

I also found some more fanart here: http://retrogame.info/0/39/1544/

That website has fanart from a LOT of games. I was surprised to find some art based on American games, like Doom, Duke Nukem, Mortal Kombat and Smash TV!

Happy New Year!

User Info: StarFighters76

StarFighters76
6 years ago#172
Interesting discovery.
"How much is a large water? - 50 cents" "How much is a free water? - O_o"
1,000 maps goal achieved on 04/12/2010!

User Info: lagoon_remake

lagoon_remake
6 years ago#173
So I am slowly restarting the remake project. This time with a little more care on the overall structure, before any game related code gets into the mix. That is why I am making an attempt at an very clean, simple and basic game engine. This time around I will also incorporate lua into it, to handle all game specific code. I probably going to post more in detail later on in the blog.

It was quite interesting to look at other game sources in how they handle game logic. The humble indie pack came with the open source announcement, so I took at look at some of them. And most of them are plain nasty messes, so if I want something clean it is up to me to make it happen.

I've been fiddling with some gameplay ideas in my head. There are two variants of Lagoon, the sharp version where the sword is held in a stabbing position and the snes with the slashing. Besides that, knockback, jumping and the shield are core mechanics. So I want to combine them, giving the player both the ability to stab or to slash. Stab if succesful hooks an enemy to you and they have to deflect the sword to come loose, The slash works the snes way. Defense can also be a more active action, where the player stands still and embrace for harder impacts. The stab could also be used to hook into walls like an iceclimber.

The main idea is that by giving the player a slight more combinations to handle, you can make bosses, enemies and encounters more dynamic and interesting. Like an enemy you need to break down their defense in order to get a clean hit on them.

User Info: sdkess

sdkess
6 years ago#174
I'm playing through this game again. The first time was 19 years ago on a rental so it is a fun trip down memory lane. I'm currently at the Gnome Tree.
"When will then be now? Soon."

User Info: BassForever

BassForever
6 years ago#175

So I am slowly restarting the remake project. This time with a little more care on the overall structure, before any game related code gets into the mix. That is why I am making an attempt at an very clean, simple and basic game engine. This time around I will also incorporate lua into it, to handle all game specific code. I probably going to post more in detail later on in the blog.

It was quite interesting to look at other game sources in how they handle game logic. The humble indie pack came with the open source announcement, so I took at look at some of them. And most of them are plain nasty messes, so if I want something clean it is up to me to make it happen.

I've been fiddling with some gameplay ideas in my head. There are two variants of Lagoon, the sharp version where the sword is held in a stabbing position and the snes with the slashing. Besides that, knockback, jumping and the shield are core mechanics. So I want to combine them, giving the player both the ability to stab or to slash. Stab if succesful hooks an enemy to you and they have to deflect the sword to come loose, The slash works the snes way. Defense can also be a more active action, where the player stands still and embrace for harder impacts. The stab could also be used to hook into walls like an iceclimber.

The main idea is that by giving the player a slight more combinations to handle, you can make bosses, enemies and encounters more dynamic and interesting. Like an enemy you need to break down their defense in order to get a clean hit on them.

Sounds interesting hope you keep it up!
ProtoPiranha: Packers will beat the Redskins, Texans will light up the Giants, 49ers will beat the Eagles, Crytans don't stand a chance against the Cowboys.

User Info: Lhunthangion

Lhunthangion
6 years ago#176
Bumpage!!!
I AM ERROR.

StarFighters76
6 years ago#177
It's so good people are taking an interest in this game again :)

StarFighters76
6 years ago#178
Notice how you can't sell items?

User Info: Lhunthangion

Lhunthangion
6 years ago#179
I really need to dust this game off and give it another go...
I AM ERROR.
  1. Boards
  2. Lagoon
  3. Unanswered Question Topic II

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived